PDA

View Full Version : primer pocker reamer tool ?s

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I did a search but came up with limited hits and info

I have just started loading for the 223, jwords at the moment but if mid south gets some more bator molds that may change

most of my brass is LC 06 head stamp , a co worker is also taking a class in a few weeks he figured he could get a bucket of brass if i wanted it from the 4k rounds used in the class as his experience is few want their brass at these classes and he has more than he will get to using in years already.

to the point much of the brass 1x fired with military crimp, some is manufactured and then has it's crimp already removed

using the tip of my pocket knife and turning the brass is working to remove the crimp, but it the process is clearly a bit lacking

what tools do you use and like
and why do some seem so expensive for what seems to be little more than a drill bit with a shoulder

beagle
10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, I have an abundance of commercial R-P brass left over from previos years so I don't mess with the military stuff that much. I have in the past and when I did do .223, 7.62 and 9mm, I used a RCBS primer pocket swager. It works in a standard press and forms the pocket and swages out the crimp and you lose no brass in a critical area on the case. Lyman makes a hand reamer for both small and large pockets but it's tiring and time consuming. The RCBS is much better. I've been watching the primer stuff of E-bone and they are always for sale on there.

The one drawback to the RCBS swager is that occasionally you'll get over exuberant and bend the rods on them. Before I left work, I supplied myself with a goodly amount of long 10-32 screws for the .223 and 1/4 X 28 bolts for replacements.

Set up, adjust and do a batch and you're done with that brass forever.

I once used the pocket knife method and it works but there's easier ways.

Some of the swagers/reamers made for this purpose tend to take too much metal off and swage too much. This is nice when you're using a progressive such as the Dillon but IMO takes off/swages the pocket down too much./beagle

mdi
10-21-2011, 01:59 PM
When I "decrimp" military primer pockets I just use a 60 degree countersink in a power screwdriver or battery powered drill. I got mine from McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#countersinks/=el8kwc I hold the drill in one hand and the cartridge in the other and just cut the crimp out, 1/2 second is all it takes...

RU shooter
10-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Same here except I use my drill press and just touch the primer hole up into the bit and your done.

Jim_Fleming
10-21-2011, 02:08 PM
A hearty +1 for the RCBS primer pocket swager tooling.

I've used mine for literally dozens of thousands of 5.56 brass, 7.62 brass, 45 ACP brass, 9 mm brass, even on old 30-06 machine gun brass.

Buy the pocket swager, you won't be sorry. It never wears out or gets dull.

Jim

Sent from my Droid

Lizard333
10-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I use the Dillon Swage tool. It's not cheap, about a hundred bucks, but is quick and does the job very well.

runfiverun
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
rcbs also makes a cutter tool.
i mounted it alongside the primer pocket uniforming cutter on the rcbs motorized tool along with the primer flash hole tool i can cut the crimp and tell if i have enough gone by putting it on the pocket tool.
for a long time i just used my case mouth champhering tool.
lately i have been using the dillon swage tool mounted on a 1x4 i just set it on the arms of a lawn chair in the front room and do a bunch as i watch t.v.
iv'e done about 5 thousand cases in the last two days just working on them about 1-1/2 hrs each day.

lead-1
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
If you use a champhering tool or a countersink just do it lightly. It doesn't take much to remove the crimp from the edge of the pocket.
I bought some brass from a guy that said was processed and ready to load, he used a countersink and beveled the pocket so deep it removed half the pocket. The crimp is on only the edge of the pocket and if you use something powered be careful or you'll ruin your brass.

williamwaco
10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
IMO, None of the cutting tools does a good job.

I am with the drill bit crowd.

Take a quarter or three eights drill bit. Chuck it up in your drill and lightly touch the primer pocket to the point of the bit.

You will ruin a couple until you get the hang of it but not more than two or three.After tht you till be very happy with the result.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
When I "decrimp" military primer pockets I just use a 60 degree countersink in a power screwdriver or battery powered drill. I got mine from McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#countersinks/=el8kwc I hold the drill in one hand and the cartridge in the other and just cut the crimp out, 1/2 second is all it takes...

exactly what i needed to know thank you , i just happened to have a few different sizes of countersinks in my tool box from the days when i ran drill press working my way thru college , i found one that is perfect , chucked it up in the cordless drill and now primers go in quite nice

the rcbs swage tool sounds nice but it's money i don't have right now. maybe later

Mk42gunner
10-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I haven't used a countersink very much; but it will work especially if you make some kind of depth stop.

I have both the RCBS and Dillon primer pocket swaqes; IMO the dillon works a lot easier. You can ruin cases with the Dillon, but once you get in the zone, gallons of brass can be done quickly.

With the RCBS unit, you need to have you bench solidly weighted or bolted down.

Hope this helps,

Robert

mpmarty
10-21-2011, 07:48 PM
+1 on the RCBS swage. It reforms the primer pocket and makes the brass better in all respects. Cutting or reaming the pocket weakens it and diminishes the strength of the brass.