PDA

View Full Version : Question about stick on WW

Cmemiss
10-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I scored my first 5 gal. bucket of WW yesterday and started seperating the stick ons. Started up the small pot as soon as I had enough to feed but what I found was that some of them didn't want to melt at the same temp as others. These were not zinc, and after I skimmed them off and they cooled I used the side cutter test and they were soft so it appears to me that there are different alloys involved with stick ons. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

A second question that arose is, do any of these weights (stick on and clip on) contain aluminum? If so how does that effect the melt and any boolets cast from a batch. I suspect there is some alloyed in WWs now, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks for any info/input.

runfiverun
10-21-2011, 12:11 AM
older stick on's were like 99.5% lead and the .5 % tin.
they melted and were super soft like pure lead [had a higher melting point]
the newer ones seem to be a softer version of clip on ww's.
i doubt that there are any ww's alloyed with aluminum, it's very hard to get aluminum to alloy in and once it's there it's a nightmare to get rid of.

P.K.
10-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Sticky's are my go to weights. Mostly Pb and cast real soft. Clips harder for hoter rounds. Just have to drop or drag test before smelting. If it "ring's" it goes in the out box, unless you found some lino someplace, PM me.;-)

evan price
10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Pure lead melts at a higher temp than a lead/tin/antimony alloy.

odfairfaxsub
10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
it cools faster than wheel weights with alloys though. it heats up faster too