PDA

View Full Version : 221 Remington questions

fireball
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Buying a new barrel for my T/C Contender in the 221 Rem. and want to shoot both jacketed and cast bullets in it. I like the performance options of the jacketed bullets but like to shoot cast bullets at my pop up steel target. I am currently shooting cast bullets in my 30 Herrett at the steel with excellent results. A nice "ping" and down they go - leaving only a grey smear. My questions are this: shooting bullets in the 45 to 55 grain range in jacketed and 55 cast (Lyman #225415), which would be a better rate of twist 1:12 or 1:14? I know Remington used 1:12 in the XP100 and T/C used 1:14 back when they chambered for the 221. My concerns are leading and bullet stabilization at lower velocities for the cast, and stabilization of the 55 grain jacketed. Question 2 is I've never cast anything this small. Are there any pit falls or concerns I should look out for casting bullets this small?

AZ-JIM
10-21-2011, 12:08 AM
I can only provide limited info as I have not shot mine yet. You will probably do well to cast your 55's from linotype and size .001 over the groove diameter. You should be able to push them at decent speeds and not have to worry about leading. Either twist should also work fine, you didn't mention if your T/C was a carbine or pistol, pistol I'm guessing so barrel length may be more of a factor than the twist rate. Hope this helps and surely someone else will be able to provide some more insite.

az-jim

mtgrs737
10-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I have the Saeco 221 mould that casts a 60 gr. gas check boolit for my 221. I have not loaded any yet, it is a project in waiting. I do know that 55gr. FMJ military bullets do not have the accuracy that 52 gr. HP do in my 10" heavy barrel contender. I can shoot under 1" MOA with the 52 gr. J-words off a rest.

DragoonDrake
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
I have a 10" 22 Hornet that I have been shooting BRP's 47-RF and RCBS 225-55-SP with great results. I actually have only shot Hornady's 35gr vmax loaded ammunition for the jacketed department and I was unimpressed.

fireball
10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys.I guess I should have included that it is for a pistol length barrel (14 inches). I've never cast linotype before. Any problems getting the mold to fill out? I am currently casting my 30 Herrett bullets with commercial #2 alloy with excellent results. Fired 50 rounds the other day with hardly a trace of leading. That's in a super 14 barrel.

AZ-JIM
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys.I guess I should have included that it is for a pistol length barrel (14 inches). I've never cast linotype before. Any problems getting the mold to fill out? I am currently casting my 30 Herrett bullets with commercial #2 alloy with excellent results. Fired 50 rounds the other day with hardly a trace of leading. That's in a super 14 barrel.

IMO lino is pretty easy to cast. You probably have to keep the pace at a fair clip to keep the mould hot ie: there is not much mass in those little boolits to keep the blocks warm. That should cure any fill out issues. As I said before I haven't tried it yet but #2 alloy with a GC is probably ok as well.

az-jim