PDA

View Full Version : WW today

evan price
10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Stopped at the dealer to check on my truck which is getting a major overhaul. Nearby is a small chain shop that also does tires...bought a bucket of WW there 18 months ago. Figured what the heck?

He had a full 5-gal bucket I could see from the waiting room. Asked for weights, offered to pay. He hesitated, then asked what I did with them... "Fishing weights" is my standard answer. He thought a minute then agreed. Scooped up the loose ones on the floor, and he asked what I paid last time I bought them... $10... he says fine with him. Helps me pour them into my bucket.

He says that his corp HQ now says that wheel weights are hazardous waste and they have to send them back to the corp offices, and to have them shipped which the shops have to pay to do, so he was going to let the battery guy take them for free. I guess he felt guilty because he offered for me another small pile of scrap metal (shocks, brake pads, mufflers, etc.)

Sorted in the drizzling rain when I got home. After picking out the stickies, trash, junk, and obvious zinc & iron, I got 2/3 bucket Clip WW (Probably a few zinkies in there I didn't catch I'm sure) and there were a lot of 2-3 ounce big weights in there- YUM YUM!

Also less than a 1 gallon bucket of stickies, and a bit less than a gallon bucket of scrap. NOT BAD FOR TEN BUCKS!

Across the parking lot from this mechanic is a Goodwill shop. Figured my luck was good, why not look? Walked out with two pewter mugs and a pewter candlestick for a total of $3. After busting out the glass bottoms of the mugs and the sand/resin base of the candlestick I got a bit over 1# of pewter. NOT BAD FOR THREE BUCKS!

CLAYPOOL
10-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Locall tire repair shop in a small town near where I live told me a few days ago, that ILLINOIS is out lawing the use of lead wheel weights Jan 1 , 2012....

fredj338
10-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Locall tire repair shop in a small town near where I live told me a few days ago, that ILLINOIS is out lawing the use of lead wheel weights Jan 1 , 2012....

It's a matter of short time until all states go this route or the EPA just does it unilaterlally. Thank you liberla morons everywhere, first you gave us Obam & now a lead ban.:takinWiz:

imashooter2
10-22-2011, 11:01 AM
There are already ban states, so new laws are moot. The wheel weight manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open, one so they can sell to ban states and one to sell to non ban states. They will all switch over to non lead over the next couple years regardless.