PDA

View Full Version : Spencer or Sharps?

Pigslayer
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I've been checking out the Uberti Sharps & the Cimmeron Spencer & don't know which one I want. Tax return time is coming and one of the two is going to be in my gun safe. I'm looking at the caliber to be 45/70. Any recommendations would be helpful. Pro's con's etc.

Don McDowell
10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
They don't make the spencer in 45-70 do they?
Take a long hard look and make the price comparison between the Uberti Sharps and the Shiloh or C Sharps.

Pigslayer
10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
They don't make the spencer in 45-70 do they?
Take a long hard look and make the price comparison between the Uberti Sharps and the Shiloh or C Sharps.
No they don't. They make it in .45 LC, .45 Schofield, 44-40 & 56-50.
I stand corrected. I really like the spencer because it is repeating.

gandydancer
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Yea. but a sharps has boocoo class. they not only shoot good but they make you look good. and C SHARPS & SHILOH are both made in big timber Montana about 25 yards across the street from one another. the spencer is made in italy. GD

waksupi
10-20-2011, 06:57 PM
You will have more fun with the Sharps, if you have long ranges you can shoot at. If limited to shorter ranges, you will probably be happy with the Spencer.

The Sharps will be easier to get parts for. If you get the Spencer, get a schematic, and order a spare of everything inside, and two extra of every spring.

Pigslayer
10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
[smilie=b:From what I've found the Spencer I'm looking at is made in Texas. Desicions, decisions.

Pigslayer
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Yea. but a sharps has boocoo class. they not only shoot good but they make you look good. and C SHARPS & SHILOH are both made in big timber Montana about 25 yards across the street from one another. the spencer is made in italy. GD

Looking good is not my worry 'cause I'm old & ugly!:guntootsmiley:

oldracer
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
There is a Cimarron Sharps for sale on Gunbroker.com and it is one of the 500 Creedmoor commemorative that they made. I bought #352 several months ago and it shoots fantastic! The asking price is $1600 which should include the really nice tweed suitcase style gun case that mine had. Mine had not been shot, this one has had a few rounds put through it and has what they call the "mid range" sights. I bought the long range sights and like them a bit more.

Note, I have NO involvement with this seller but really like the one I bought from another dealer.

Don McDowell
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
[smilie=b:From what I've found the Spencer I'm looking at is made in Texas. Desicions, decisions.

No it's made in Italy just imported by Cimmarron and Taylors.

hickstick_10
10-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Save your nickles and get a spencer in 45-70, if you want a little of both.
http://www.romanorifle.com/html/spencer.html

The only 45-70 I own is a shiloh, I recomend them if you go that route.

NickSS
10-21-2011, 05:32 AM
I have both rifles you mention and both have their purposes. The Uberti Sharps I have I bought for a knock around hunting rifle not wanting to mess up either my Shiloh or C Sharps rifles in the Woods and rain of the Pacific NW were I live. My Uberti was made by Pedersoli and shoots very fine. In fact within my ability to tell I really can not tell the difference accuracy wise. However, as fine a shooter as it is, it is not up to the quality fit and finish wise to a Shiloh or C sharps rifle and it will have lower resale value. As for the Spencer imported my Civeron I have one in carbine formate and it is a hoot to shoot but it is no target gun and the sights copy what the originals had on them. I have been able to develop loads that will give me around a 4 to 5 inch group at 200 yards but that is as good as it gets with the sights it comes with. My rifle was made by Armi Sport and works well as long as you load your ammo to the proper length if not it jams like a champ. If it was one or the other I would buy the Sharps but I would not buy an Italian one for over $1000. Once you get much over that fugure a few hundred extra will get you a C Sharps 1975 model which is a much nicer rifle.

excess650
10-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Pigslayer is s short drive from Shippensburg F&G, and they hold BPCRS matches March through October. Slammin' steel is pretty addictive.

He's also a short drive from the NSSA grounds just north of Winchester, and there is a large BP distributor neighboring that range.

I have owned Shiloh, C Sharps, and a Pedersoli Sharps. While the fit and finish is far superior on the Shiloh and C Sharps, the Pedersoli is a fine shooter.

bigted
10-26-2011, 08:56 AM
get the sharps !!!

KCSO
10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
The reproduction Spencers seem plauged with the same problems that the originals had. They are somewhat picky feeders and in mine at least I had to replace the maggazine tube spring 3 times before I got a good one. Of the Spencer Ctg's available only the 56 will really qualify as a deer ctg and then at short range only as they drop like a brick. If you want to be an authentic cowboy or a Civil War vet the Spencer in 56 would do the trick but the Sharps would be more practical for hunting and +100 yard target work.

smith54
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I have had good luck with the repro spencers made by Armi Sport in 56-50. I t would have been nice if the brass and chamber had the same dimensions as the originals . The Romano Spencers are world class but expensive (made in N. Y.) and are precise copies of the originals and use cartridges with the original dimensions. I totally agree that the Sharps would be hard to beat. I bought 2 Shiloh rifles years ago when they were made in Farmingdale N.Y.--they are top notch. Ten-X sells ammo for the repro Spencers. Good luck

WARD O
10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
SHARPS, SHARPS, SHARPS.....

I started with an Italian Taylor Arms 40-65 and got bit by the bug. Bought a plain jane Shiloh, sold the Taylor and have since added two more Shilohs. They are a wonderful rifle that is completely made in this country!

The Italian rifles I've owned always shot very accurately but the fit and finish and quality in general always left me wanting something more. C Sharps or Shiloh will give you pride in ownership - I've visited both places several times - very nice folks to talk to - they'll even give you a tour of their manufacturing facility.

Ward

59sharps
10-26-2011, 12:22 PM
i WOULD GO WITH SHARPS ALSO. iF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE SPENCER. i WOULD CONSIDER LOOKING AT THE 1860 HENRY INSTEAD. A LOT LESS OF A PITA TO GET TO SHOOT WELL. uNLESS YOU GO W/ THE ROMANO YOU MAY FIND GETTING IT TO FEED PROPERLY MAY BE A PROBLEM.

herbert buckland
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
The trouble with the Italian Spencers is that in all but the the 44-40 model the twist rate is way to fast for the bullets that will work in these cartridges.There is no feeding problems with original Spencers wich can oftern be picked up for the same price as a Armi Sports repro and these rifles are acurate .If you go the with the Spencer I segest you go with the 56-50 chamberd one as it is by far the easyist to get shooting well,or if you get a repro contact NSSA folks these guys oftern have 56-50 guns that have been relined with the proper twist rate and the cam modifyed to copy the original Spencer geometry(wrong geometry of the cam in the Armi sports is the reason it wont feed properly ,but is easley fixed)or you can get a rel work of art in gun making and buy a Ramano Spencer,expencive but what quality is not ,and like all quality items it will hold its value or increase in value

WARD O
10-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Is new spencer ammo available? Or are all the currently mfgrd guns for centerfire?

Ward

WARD O
10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Where does one go to find a breech block? What is approx price?

Thanks
Ward

herbert buckland
10-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Where does one go to find a breech block? What is approx price?

Thanks
WardBooth BACO and S&S Firearms sell the center-fire blocks for original Spencers,BACO one sells for US $189.95 ,not sure at the momet how much the S&S one sells for

WARD O
10-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Sorry to side track this thread but thanks for the answers! Sounds like this is bit easier than making up a bunch of reloadable rimfire ammo....

RMulhern
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
:holysheep:killingpc:groner:[smilie=b::takinWiz::takinWiz: