PDA

View Full Version : M 788 extractor repair

wmitty
02-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm attempting to repair a broken extractor on a 788 chambered for the .30-30 and am wondering if simply driving out the two pins which retain the front portion of the bolt to the bolt body will allow changing out the broken extractor? Is there more to it than this?

Thanks, D. Bragg

Bass Ackward
02-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Try this if it willtake you there.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=131&m=12&mn=Remington%c2%ae&model=Model+788+

wmitty
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Bass. I hadn't seen this.

Parson
02-13-2007, 11:31 PM
The extractor has a single pin holding it in place. This is usually peened in place and will need to be ground down a little and then knocked out with a small punch. The trick is peening the new pin in place without a special fixture. You can make one or very carefully put the new extractor in and the new pin from the bottom, then hold it in place with a punch resting on a solid base and peen the new pin down flat. Probably will need to grind or file down smooth before bolt will go into battery

wmitty
02-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Parson; thanks for your input! The extractor for the .30-30 is a single claw which grasps the rim of the case and holds it against the flat bolt face (as opposed to the recessed bolt face for the rimless chamberings). The head of the bolt rotates in relation to the bolt body and is apparently held in place by two pins which are parallel to each other and at 90 degrees to the axis of the firing pin. Looking at the bolt from the side ( the axis of the bolt being horizontal) the two pins straddle the firing pin; that is , one pin is above and one below the firing pin. I believe I'd better let a 'smith tackle this little project.

James Wisner
02-19-2007, 01:55 AM
The extractor, and the ejectors in the Rem 788 30-30- and 44 mag are the same.
They however are not interchangeable with the 222, 308 size riveted style extractors or the round plunger type ejectors

The 30-30 / 44 extractor is held in place by its own tension and there is also a small stud on the underside of the extractor that keeps the extractor in place front to rear.

To remove pull the hook end up enough to clear the stud, and pull then foreward from the bolt face. The long tail sits just under the joint between the bolt head and the bolt body.

The 30-30 / 44 ejector is held in place with a 1/16" cross pin. The ejector will either break at the tee shaped end or in the slot for the cross pin.

To remove the ejector drive the cross pin out and carefully remove the ejector from the front.

As far as I know we are the only ones making new extractors and ejectors for these two calibers.

Jim Wisner
Wisners Inc.
www.wisnersinc.com

wmitty
02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Mr. Wisner

I am extremely grateful for this information! There were so few of the 788s chambered for the .44 and .30-30 in relation to the rimless cartridges that I felt I was the first to break an extractor. I thank you again for the explanation.

David Bragg