Love Life
10-20-2011, 11:26 AM
delete

gray wolf
10-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I have some crazy desire to have a revolver in 32 ACP

tacklebury
10-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Yep, albeit not a double action with an extractor, Ruger Blackhawk convertibles like my .45LC/.45 acp have been doing rimless without moon clips for a long time. Biggest issue is that the length to the mouth has to be very exact. Variance can cause issues like cylinder not wantint to cycle, binding, etc. I have shot a lot of .45 acp in my blackhawk and I'm very careful when loading now to keep OAL exactly the same and use a Lee Factory Crimp which smooths out any irregularities when loading for the blackhawk. ;) I'm watching the charter closely though to see what else is on the horizon. My feeling is this is a starting point for some good stuff from them. ;) I bought my wife a Pink Lady earlier this year and it's a great little shooter and super light at 12 oz. Very nice little gun and quite accurate for a snubbie. ;)

Trey45
10-20-2011, 10:47 PM
These CARR's (Charter Arms Rimless Revolvers) have been on my radar for about 2 years now, these were supposed to be released last year, they finally got around to at this years shot show. They are supposed to release a 9mm and a 45acp version as well, their time table is unknown.

I really want one of these in 40SW, but I'm waiting at least a year so I can read real user reviews of this gun to see how well that rimless ejector gizmo works after being used a few thousand times. I had a 50th Anniversary Blackhawk made into a 40SW, this Charter Arms just makes sense, if it really does what it's supposed to do over time.

tacklebury
10-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Dunno what Donkey Kong has to do with it, lol, but I want a .45 acp also. ;)

Bret4207
10-21-2011, 08:05 PM
A modern 38-40 belly gun. You could do worse.

Bret4207
10-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Donkey Kong's abilities are paramount to the proper functioning of anything.

Donkey Kong? And my parents thought I was strange when I imitated the Stooges....:groner:

Trey45
10-22-2011, 11:17 AM
What's a donkey kong? I know what the 3 stooges are, I have been known to break into the curly shuffle for no apparent reason, but donkey kong? Wazzat?

By the way, Out of the 3 stooges, Curly is king.

Bret4207
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh come on. You all have never heard the phrase "it's on like Donkey Kong"?

I thought it was a video game, but consider the last video game I played was a Windows 95 version of "Fighter Pilot". The last arcade game I played was "pong" and it cost a quarter.

TCLouis
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
This months "American Rifleman" has a writeup on the "new" Taurus 40 S&W that requires moon clips.

NoZombies
10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I look forward to looking these over when they become available. The last several new charter pistols I've handled made me feel less than confident in their construction. I hope these will be better.

Trey45
10-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Love life brings up something that has always held some concern for me, I've heard from many others about how long they've had their Charter revolvers, years and years and still going strong, but how many rounds are through it? I have a few pistols I've had for many years that have less than 500 rounds through them. This is why I'm holding off on this new CARR from Charter until I've read some user reviews that include round count.

Trey45
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Nothing weird about logging round counts! And I appreciate you listing yours here.

NoZombies
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
That's the thing, I really, really, want to like charter revolvers. I mean, they're American made, and they make some interesting stuff. I wanted a charter bulldog in .44 special really badly, until I handled one at a local shop. Same thing for their target patriot in .327. Handling both of those guns made me decide that if I ever buy a charter, it will be inspected in person before the purchase.

Please don't take this as me being "anti-charter" or anything, I really do like some of their ideas. I just know that I need to handle their guns in person, and not buy online.

Trey45
10-25-2011, 10:59 AM
I have read so much online about Charter, good and bad, about each of their incarnations under different owners. Some folks swear by them, others swear at them. One of my good friends had one, a 44 special, I forget the round count, but it was low when compared to a Smith, it went out of time and developed some other issue as well. This seems to be the common thread with the complaints, is the life span of these little revolvers. I know there's folks on this forum that have had great luck and high mileage with their Charters, but sadly this seems to be the exception, not the norm. I'm like you, I really want to like these guns, and I especially want to like this new 40S&W CARR. I hope Charters quality allows me to do so. Time will tell, once the real world reports start trickling in with accurate round counts and life span, reliability, accuracy the whole 9 yards included. Until then I remain hopefull at best, skeptical at worst.

x101airborne
10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I missed my chance at a smith that fired the 40 in moon clips. Been kicking myself ever since. This charter would be at least a cheaper distraction until I come around another smith. I wonder...... what would be the chances that the charter in 40 could handle the longer length of the 10mm? Are the pressures even close to being the same?

Trey45
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
40S&W operates in the neighborhood of 35K PSI, 10mm operates in the 38K PSI neighborhood.

I may be off on the 10mm though, I don't load for 10mm (yet) maybe one day if I ever break down and buy a 10mm gun....