PDA

View Full Version : ID this old gun

Jal5
10-20-2011, 10:54 AM
My friend picked up this old revolver, break top action 5 shot cylinder, grips are black with owl head on top and IJ at the screw hole. He is trying to find out what caliber it is and about how old. Ser. no. is on the trigger guard 718xx clearly marked.

Carolina Cast Bullets
10-20-2011, 11:08 AM
IJ indicates Iver Johnson. Its an older, now closed, firearm maker from the early part of the century. IIRC, their handguns were reasonable well made but due to the time frame and metallurgy of the period, can be somewhat weak. If used with caution, they are not too bad. Given its age, and I cant really tell since there is no picture just the historical knowledge, it may be valuable enough to have appraised and kept in a safe place and not used as a shooter.

As to caliber, cant make a judgement without either the gun itself or a good closeup. IIRC, they are most often found in 32 S&W ( a short version of the 32 Long )

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Jal5
10-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Jerry I posted a couple of cell phone pics, not the best clarity. We thought it would be a 32 short or S&W- is there any way to confirm that? Not in bad shape at all, very slight rust but nothing major at all. Seems to have been shot very little. I never thought about value, from what you say it may be worth an appraisal. Thanks.

Joe

Frosty Boolit
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I'd use the I.D. blades on a dial indicator in the grooves at the muzzle if it has an even number of grooves or in the front of the cylinder if it is a five groove.

Jal5
10-20-2011, 06:19 PM
By comparison with another website and a man who wrote the book on these it is a 32 S&W 5 shot by Iver Johnson Third series, manufactured in the early 1900s.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31794l

Joe