PDA

View Full Version : 30-6 Milsurp cases ...what a pain

omgb
10-20-2011, 03:44 AM
About a decade ago, I purchased a butt load of Korean surplus 06. I got some from Cabelas, some from Sportsman Guide and some from another outfit...oh, I also had a good friend pass away and he left me 400 rounds of LC ball. I shot most of this over the last few years in my M1. Being frugal, I saved all of the brass. Now, with the surplus stuff pretty much off the market, I figured it was time to reload all of this stuff. So, the saga began.

1. Sort all of the berdan junk out of the mix with a flashlight.
2. Decap using a universal decapping die.
3. Tumble in batches of 100 using my Thumbler B and stainless steel media. This took a few days.
4. Ream out all of the crimps using a drill chucked tool from Lyman. This took some time too.
5. Resize all 1200 rounds using an RCBS SB die. Some of this was fired in my M1 before the arsenal rebuild and as a result, was rather generously out of size.

I discovered that the pump bottle spray lube from Hornady is pretty crappy for this use. The aerosol lube was much better. Best of all was just using RCBS lube on an RCBS pad. lots less case drag.

6. All of the cases were trimmed on a Dillon electric case trimmer. Man, this is the cat's meow for large batches. A real PITA to adjust but once set, it goes like a hot knife through warm butter.

Note: I got smart here. I mounted the sizing die in my Lock-N-Load press followed by the case trimmer. I loaded the cases in the case feeder and viola! time saved.

7. Now it was time to chamfer the case mouths. Back to the electric drill again and a new Lyman VLD attachment for the drill. It took a couple of hours but I got them all chamfered.

I'm waiting on 16 lbs of H4895. I just received 1500 of Hornady's little 150 grain FMJBTs. About 700 will go into the 06 cases over that H4895. Another 500 cases will be loaded with something as of yet undecided and a 180 grain .310 lead slug from my LBT mould.

This case prepping was a real PITA. fortunately, I'll only have to do it this time. All in all, the prep time came to about 8 actual hours of work.

lead-1
10-20-2011, 04:46 AM
I have to agree with you on this thread that it is a PITA, but in the end it is all worth it.
I also use the RCBS case lube and pad and have only stuck maybe on in a thousand cases and usually when I start to hurry them along.

NickSS
10-20-2011, 04:58 AM
I have a dillon primer pocket decrimping tool and it makes the job a joy to do. I have decrimped several thousand 7.62X51, 30-06, 45 acp, and 5.56X41 cases with it and it is easy and fast to use and the primer pockets come out perfect.

zomby woof
10-20-2011, 06:33 AM
There's plenty of surplus 30.06 floating around. Many millions of rounds of HXP being fired.
Have fun on your case prep. I went from competing with a .45 acp to competing with a 30.06. Big difference in case prep. What a pain. I like rifle shooting better.

beex215
10-20-2011, 07:09 AM
that. plus single stage press= long torture

omgb
10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Lots of night owls i see.

sundog
10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I try to save my large batches of case prep work for long, cold winter evenings. Something boring to do so as not to get bored.

cheese1566
10-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I try to save my large batches of case prep work for long, cold winter evenings. Something boring to do so as not to get bored.

Yep! Thats when I do all my sorting, cleaning, and case prep from shooting over the summer months. I just sort my pistol brass, and do more extensive work on the rifle.

In addition, over the last two years, I gained a RCBS Trim mate Case Prep Center and a Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer.

gunnut14
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Wow,
I must be weird then.
I kinda like the case prep time and do a lot of 06 and 308 milsurp brass.
Like Sundog I save it up until I get a bucket full and then do it all at once.

gunnut14

Char-Gar
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Years ago, I had two five gallon buckets full of once fired LC54 cases given to me. Over time, I processes them and reloaded, or gave them away. I also converted some to other calibers.

I guess I amweird, but I never though it was anything but fun. I was also very grateful to have such a supply of free brass.

I will still take any amount of free Lake City GI brass somebody is willing to send my way.

Larry Gibson
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
omgb

Now that you've put all that time and effort into those case gat the RCBS X-die if you are going to FL size them for use in different rifles. You won't have to trim or chamfer again and the cases will last for 20+ firings in a M1.

Larry Gibson

omgb
10-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Really? I know nothing about the X die. Tell me more!

omgb
10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
OK, I looked it up...and I bought an X die. $35.00...so, now well see how it works.

Larry Gibson
10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
OK, I looked it up...and I bought an X die. $35.00...so, now well see how it works.

Just follow the directions minus the 1st size & trim step (you've already done those). If you've several '06 rifles and want to tailor the case sizing to them use cases fired in the one with the shortest headspace and adjust the X Die (take the mandrel/decap assembly out) so it sized the case to a "just fit" in that rifle's chamber. This will minimize the sizing doe to the cases. If you want to size all case to the max then bottom the sizer on the shell holder per the instructions.

With the die body set put the mandrel/decap assembly back in. Mic several of your prepped cases and use the longest one if they vary a couple thou. Lube it and push it up into the X die. Screwed the mandrel down solidly so the case mouth stop is solidly against the case mouth. Tighten the mandrel/decap rod lock and it's set.

Larry Gibson

Hang Fire
10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
I lucked out years back when got a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of 7.62x51 national match brass for 25 bucks, great brass and no crimps to mess with.

jonk
10-21-2011, 02:46 PM
You need an RCBS or Dillon primer pocket swager.

I agree, a pain, but for dirt cheap to free brass, well worth it.

Ed in North Texas
10-22-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a dillon primer pocket decrimping tool and it makes the job a joy to do. I have decrimped several thousand 7.62X51, 30-06, 45 acp, and 5.56X41 cases with it and it is easy and fast to use and the primer pockets come out perfect.

I'll second that. Had mine since the Lyman Spar-T was their latest press on the market. Unfortunate that I had to grind off part of the piece which pushes the case off the spud, it just wasn't made for "C" type presses. Still works though.

shtur
10-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I do the dirty work during winter also. I recently picked up 300 once fired 1943 USGI cases. I'm wondering if they will be brittle from age?

bydand
10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
A plus for the Dillon tool, Fast, easy, perfect results, and no worries about dropping anything.

Upstate Matt
10-23-2011, 11:26 PM
I just started in on some. Broke and bent a couple depriming pins, guess I'll have to get a dedicated decapper.

I like seeing a big bag o brass all set for use.

NuJudge
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
If your Korean brass has the "KA" headstamp, you might want to water-wash it after depriming to get rid of the corrosive salts.

"PS" headstamped brass was non-corrosive, but some lots had problems with catastrophic case failure on their first firing.