PDA

View Full Version : Found some Babbit

10-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Stumbled onto some old babbit (used to make bearings in "T" models/etc. Someone told me it can be used to pour boolits. Anyone ever try it?

dieguy59
10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Got a pic? I've always wondered what it/they looked like.

JSnover
10-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Good stuff! Find out what the alloy content is. Best use for babbit is to improve your alloy. The babbit I bought was 85% tin. I could cast it as-is but the boolits would be way too hard (also had some antimony in it).

Daddyfixit
10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Good stuff! Find out what the alloy content is. Best use for babbit is to improve your alloy. The babbit I bought was 85% tin. I could cast it as-is but the boolits would be way too hard (also had some antimony in it).

I bought some and that's what I do with it
Mine has a little copper in it too, not enough to matter

DanWalker
10-21-2011, 10:00 PM
How much do you add to harden your alloy, and what BHN are you hardening to? thinking about buying some babbit for just this purpose, to make hard boolits for my microgroove marlin, which hates anything under 15bhn.

JSnover
10-22-2011, 12:08 AM
How much do you add to harden your alloy, and what BHN are you hardening to? thinking about buying some babbit for just this purpose, to make hard boolits for my microgroove marlin, which hates anything under 15bhn.

Lyman Cast Bullet Manual has a chart with the different alloys, contents and BHN numbers. When you know what you have, you can mix and match to get what you want (you should test it to make sure). It's all about ratios.