PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a barrel with a scope mounted.

cavalrymedic
10-19-2011, 07:09 PM
I have just finished sighting in my Traditions In-Line 50 cal. Not a great gun, I know, but ML season is on saturday and I needed a cheap gun to shoot. Anyway, with out a scope on it, I would take it apart and dunk the breech end soapy water, then run a brush and then some cleaning patches to flush out all of the fouling. With the scope now mounted, that's just not possible. I just don't think it's possible to re-mount it in the exact same position every time. Thoughts?

jonas302
10-19-2011, 07:48 PM
A bore mop for your cleaning rod and you are on your way

tomme boy
10-19-2011, 08:00 PM
If it is an inline, stick the muzzle in the water an clean from the breach end.

altheating
10-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a TC Encore with a Weaver scope mounted on it. I clean it every time it has ever been shot leaving the scope on the barrel. I hold the barrel by the scope, plunge the muzzle in to the basement sink, run the bore brush coated with dish soap. Rinse with hot water as hot as you can stand. Dry it immediately, oil it up and put it all back together. If I get water on the scope so what. You hunt with it in the rain! The gun is over ten years old and not one speck of rust.

P.K.
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
TC's TC-17 foaming bore cleaner. PERIOD. It's a mess and takes time but if you want to scrub the bore of everything use it first. Dismantle to taste, leave the optic on. Squirt the bore full of the cleaner, multipe times if heavy shooting. Let drain through the charge end. Repeat as often as you like then clean as you usually do. Crystal clean bore every time.

cavalrymedic
10-20-2011, 11:43 PM
You guys are just awesome. Thank you.

OnHoPr
10-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Altheating just gave me an idea. Take a 3"-4" PVC pipe (appropriate length of barrel and scope), put a cap on one end and affix to a base board. Take barrel off of the stock and remove breech plug. Place muzzle first in PVC pipe filled with hot soapy water and mop away. Possibly change water once or twice.