PDA

View Full Version : Sailboat keel

odinohi
10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
There used to be a huge sailboat near one of the tire shops where I get ww's. I forgot all about it. When I was getting ww's today the guy said he knew where a big chunk of lead was. He told me and I went and looked at it. Its all thats left of that big boat. This thing is 10-12' long, 2' wide, and about 1.5' tall. Its got some pieces of steel running through it and some other stuff in like veins that looks like concrete, but It was softer then concrete when I checked it with my knife.
How would a guy cut that up into squares about 10"? Chainsaw and motor oil? I should have taken a pic of it to show you guys, its really something. I need to locate the owner.

P.K.
10-19-2011, 06:31 PM
A saws all will do the trick you lucky devil. Look around some of the ballast may be scattered about too. As for the owner if that's all that's left I'd doubt he'd care.

chambers
10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Go to Rent it shop and rent a gas axe with a 14" to 16" diamond blade for cutting concrete, this will saw this like butter and no oil needed.

uscra112
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Better hurry up ! I'm within two hours of Clyde ! :):):):)

P.K.
10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Better hurry up ! I'm within two hours of Clyde ! :):):):)

LOL. I'll be willing to bet a lurker or two on this board may have scoped it out already. That much good soft stuff just laying out there. I really miss living near the coast.

DukeInFlorida
10-25-2011, 08:00 AM
If the keel was attached to a fiberglass boat, then the stuff that kind of looks like concrete might be resin.

The two sailboat keels I processed were cut up with a normal chainsaw, no oil. Just watch out for the hanger bolts (stick out of the top of the keel, and were used to attach the keel to the boat. They have a L shaped bottom to them, embedded in the lead.

The lead is typically something close to 99 % PURE lead. No need for the keel molders to put any expensive antimony (etc) in the mix.

Nice find. Watch out for even 200 pound chunks, though. One rolled off my keel two summers go, resulting in a trip to emergency dept at the local hospital. My foot escaped breakage, but was sore for months afterwards.

Lead is almost 800 pounds per CUBIC foot. That's 12" X 12" X 12". If that gives you an estimate of weight....

Hickory
10-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Tom, if you need some help with the keel this winter, let me know.

Defcon-One
10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
...This thing is 10-12' long, 2' wide, and about 1.5' tall...

...Lead is almost 800 pounds per CUBIC foot. That's 12" X 12" X 12". If that gives you an estimate of weight...

Puting 2 and 2 together yields some amazing numbers!

12' X 2' X 1.5' = 36 cubic feet

36 X 800 lbs./CF = 28,800 lbs.

Maybe we should all meet there with buckets and saws. That is a really big hunk of pure lead!

odinohi
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I got a price from the dude today. He said he wants .84 per pound. He says thats scrap price. I know, I'm not arguing with the guy. Disappointed, yes!

Defcon-One
10-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Couldn't come up with the $24,192? Who could for scrap lead?

I'd float him an offer for the whole thing, give him your contact information, then walk away. I'd bet you get a call later, after he tries the scrap yard.

His only viable market is bullet casters, like us, and the scrap guys. You still have a good chance to get a great deal if you play it right! However, I don't know if anybody can really handle that much lead?

zxcvbob
10-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Yep. Tell him "good luck with that" and smile. Give him your card and phone number, and walk away. He'll figure the rest out eventually.

If it's still sitting there a year from now, maybe start the whole conversation over (he may have lost your card)

odinohi
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Couldn't come up with the $24,192? Who could for scrap lead?

I'd float him an offer for the whole thing, give him your contact information, then walk away. I'd bet you get a call later, after he tries the scrap yard.

His only viable market is bullet casters, like us, and the scrap guys. You still have a good chance to get a great deal if you play it right! However, I don't know if anybody can really handle that much lead?

I'd have to get some good accurate measurements, but I think its probably closer to 10,000 lbs. He said 5,000. I'd like to make him an offer, but gotta come up with the closer measurements. I think the price he quoted me was the Kitco price at the time. Dont know where he got it and dont care. I'm not paying anything close to that and never will. I'll keep you all informed. Tom

a.squibload
10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
...If it's still sitting there a year from now,...

Naw, by then it will have dissolved into the ground, or the bunnies will have eaten it, etc... ("green" science).

He'll find out the scrap yard ain't gonna hire a truck and crane to cart it out of there. You're offering him a valuable service.

StaTiK
10-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I think we all know, and he will soon find out, that he will never get $0.84/lb from scrappers.

I called a local place and they told me 5 cents per pound... but that's the PURCHASE price and they don't sell lead to the public. :roll:

-StaTiK-

Boolseye
11-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Give me a break. He wants the going market rate for a giant eyesore that he can't possibly get rid of? That explains why the boat disintegrated around it. He was probably trying to sell it for the price of a new yacht.

Springfield
11-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Lead weighs 6.55 ozs/cubic inch, so that would be about 943 lbs/cubic foot.