PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-200-RF in Kimber Custom II 1911 questions

valathar
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Howdy folks,
I'm getting back into reloading and casting after a couple years of having zero time available to me to do so, and I have a Kimber Custom II I bought 4 years back that probably hasn't even had 200 rounds through it yet. That's unforgivable, so I'm about to change that!

I have a Lee 452-200-RF 6 cavity mold that drops nice looking bullets, and I would like to use them to reload 45acp to feed my Kimber. I have never reloaded for a semi-auto before, which is why I'm making this post. All of my reloading experience has been for revolvers, lever action and bolt action rifles before this.

My question: To what depth should I seat this bullet in a 45acp cartridge? I assume I should seat the bullet so that the rim goes just up above the crimp grove, covering it and do a taper crimp... is that correct or am I about to have a disaster if I do that?

Sure wish I had a Lyman 452374 mold, if anybody has a used one they want to sell reasonably PM me! lol

HORNET
10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Take the barrel out and use it as a gauge to determine your desired OAL. Seat one out long and try it, seat progressively deeper as needed. The boolit should be hitting the rifling origin and the base of the case should be flush with the back of the hood. Then see if a couple of dummies at that length will feed from the magazine when hand cycled. Taper crimp to about .470 diameter at the case mouth. Not too difficult once you try it. Good luck.

gray wolf
10-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree with Hornet

RobS
10-20-2011, 05:24 PM
The 200 grain RF is a short stubby boolit with a very round ogive. The shortest throat I've reloaded it for was in a Springfield XD and I was seated the boolit a bit past the crimp groove. As HORNET mentioned just use the barrel as your guage and for the safe side of reloading I would start at the lower or middle of the powder charge weight and work up.

valathar
10-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys! Yes I am also starting out at the starting load, not the middle. :)