PDA

View Full Version : Leeth Molds Question

John Boy
02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I heard that Pioneer Products – Leeth Moulds makes adjustable molds. How do they make the mold so it is adjustable?

Why?
I'm venturing into PP bullets for the 45-70 shooting black powder. For a PP to obturate correctly in a 450 bore, the bullet should be in the 446 - 447 range before it is wrapped.

I figured if I bought one of these adjustable molds, then could vary with the different papers and not have to buy swage equipment and dies from the Git Go

Buckshot
02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
................If they're saying adjustable, it's adjustable in length only. Accomplished with a base plug threaded through a plate. The plug can be moved up or down in the mould with the base plug stopping just below a drive band.

So far as paper patched boolits go you have 3 ways of attaining your desired dia over a drypatch. First is by the initial slugs OD, the 'weight' or thickness of the paper and then final sizing of the bullet with the dried patch. You can size the slug before patching, then match that with a paper weight, and if it's just not quite right yet, run the completed slug through a sizer.

................Buckshot