PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull for Big guns

Porterhouse
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Here is a question;

Assuming you love hard kicking revolvers, say heavy 45s, 475, 500s with mid to upper end loads. What is your preferred Single Action pull? Is it same as lesser calibers? Or, you like lighter, heavier?
I'm just curious.

44man
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Here is a question;

Assuming you love hard kicking revolvers, say heavy 45s, 475, 500s with mid to upper end loads. What is your preferred Single Action pull? Is it same as lesser calibers? Or, you like lighter, heavier?
I'm just curious.
Always light. Some of mine are 18 to 19 oz. Others 1-1/2#.
Now my new BFR, .500 JRH has a tad of creep but a very light break so I left it alone.
Trigger break has nothing to do with recoil.
If you yank the trigger, flinch like mad, close your eyes, then even a 100# pull will only delay your reactions! [smilie=l:

subsonic
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I guess I am the odd guy here, but I like my trigger pulls with a little something to put my finger against. I think the really light pulls encourage a trigger slap because you can "sorta" get away with it and it's not as easy to realize you've done it. With a heavy pull, it's much more obvious on target. I find the surprise break is more of a surprise with a crisp, but 3-4lb pull. Of course I haven't shot anywhere near as many big guns as some others....

44man
10-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I guess I am the odd guy here, but I like my trigger pulls with a little something to put my finger against. I think the really light pulls encourage a trigger slap because you can "sorta" get away with it and it's not as easy to realize you've done it. With a heavy pull, it's much more obvious on target. I find the surprise break is more of a surprise with a crisp, but 3-4lb pull. Of course I haven't shot anywhere near as many big guns as some others....
I am so used to light that a set trigger on my flint locks do not want to go off when shooting off hand. I wonder if I lost a finger! :mrgreen: I am talking a few ounces here.
Maybe NEEDING to pull is an aid for you, that's OK.

Swede44mag
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Too much triger pull pulls me off target.

I like 3.5lbs on a revolver.
3.5lbs on my hunting rifles.
1.0lbs or less on my target rifles.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I especially want a light trigger on a heavy kicking gun. A tough trigger and lots of recoil is a perfect recipe for flinching.

dvnv
10-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I too favor light and crisp...it takes me too long to get through a heavy pull. Concentration and steadiness drop off quickly for me. dvnv

subsonic
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I guess this is another one of those "red-heads or brunettes" things.

I know that if you hand someone that is new to shooting a gun with a light trigger, they can hit pretty well imediately. Then when you hand them something like a Glock, they can't hit anything. I learned to shoot handguns first with a Glock G20 (got one of the first ones!). Now anything has a "nice trigger" and "good sights":lol:

Rifles are the same way in my experience.

Maybe it's just a "conditioned" thing? Whatever you have shot the most is what you shoot the best with.