PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on the dies for the K-31 Swiss

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
After reading the ongoing thread on the K-31 Swiss and Lee dies, I had some questions, as I have one K-31 Swiss rifle.

I haven't bought any dies yet, so I'm working on figuring the best way to go. I want to have a die that fits the chamber if it can be had a reasonable cost, but my long term plan was to neck size the brass fired from my rifle if possible.

So here are my questions:

Question 1: What is the best option on buying Full Length dies right now if one doesn't have any?

Question 2: I see Hornady now makes a die specifically for the K-31. Does anybody sell this die set and if so, what's the number and the link?

Question 3: I know Redding sells a die set for the K-31, but I'm thinking if Hornady sells one also, I'd be about as well off for my purposes to get the Hornady set and save some money if I can.

Question 4: I see Lee makes a collett die, is it worth it to buy a neck sizer for the K-31 or do chambering issues make this not the best option?

Again, since I don't have any dies at this point, I'd rather buy once and cry once if I have to.

Thanks,

Dave

Ricochet
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
All I've used on mine so far is the Lee collet neck sizer, which works fine. I've got brass on the fifth loading and haven't had problems with that yet. I have a Lee set with the full length sizer for use when they won't chamber easily.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks Ricochet,

That pretty much answers all my questions. I can full length resize any range pickup once fired with a Lee FL resizer, then put it in my rifle and shoot it, then use the neck sizer per my original plan then. No need for any other dies.

I may have to anneal it over time, but that's easily enough done. How often do you anneal yours and do you ever trim/turn the necks due to thickness?

BTW, this is not a high volume cartridge for me, though I want to add a new walnut stock and bed the rifle, then use it a bit more.

Regards,

Dave

mike in co
02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
ALL the dies except the redding will work the brass more than is need to fit the k31. yes it will work but why work the brass more than is needed.
to me, it would be simple to buy the redding for either fl or neck sizing.
add the lee collet if you choose....several people have said good things about the lee collet dies..i have not used one ....yet.

mike

Ricochet
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't anneal until the necks of sized cases won't hold the bullets without them being finger-turnable. Haven't gotten there yet.

texas tenring
02-10-2007, 01:43 AM
ALL the dies except the redding will work the brass more than is need to fit the k31. yes it will work but why work the brass more than is needed.
to me, it would be simple to buy the redding for either fl or neck sizing.
add the lee collet if you choose....several people have said good things about the lee collet dies..i have not used one ....yet.

mike

mike in co, you have got to try the Lee collet dies if you follow the instructions (size, rotate 180degrees and size again) you will get very good bullet grip and very accurate ammo and minimal work.

I have'nt tried Redding dies yet but I'm sure they are excellent. I have several different brands of dies for different calibers and different purposes but when I get to use my Lee collet dies I go Yeah!!!

This is not a paid advetisement just hope someday you will have the a chance to give them a try.

P.S. I don't have the 7.5X55 collet dies yet!