PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Alox and beeswax

Sawdust
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Can I use Lee liquid Alox and beeswax 50/50 to get similar results as Alox lube stick?

Thanks

sparky45
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I thought that was the mix...

Maximumbob54
10-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I thought Lee's alox was already cut with mineral spirits. I know if you buy White Label Lube's alox it is much darker and more gooey. But then you can just buy sticks of 50/50 from them.

fryboy
10-19-2011, 01:04 PM
similar , seems the liquid alox is a slightly different critter than the ye olde alox , some where on here some one posted a recipe to mix micro wax ( IIRC ) to the liquid to equate ye olde formula of alox , of course as noted one of the biggest differences has been noted ( the liquid is cut with mineral spirits ) if not allowed to dissipate/cook off the mineral spirits will dry in time and shrink the lube a bit ( IMHO )

Sawdust
10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
similar , seems the liquid alox is a slightly different critter than the ye olde alox , some where on here some one posted a recipe to mix micro wax ( IIRC ) to the liquid to equate ye olde formula of alox

I'll look into it.

of course as noted one of the biggest differences has been noted ( the liquid is cut with mineral spirits ) if not allowed to dissipate/cook off the mineral spirits will dry in time and shrink the lube a bit ( IMHO )

Once cast, they don't last long enough to dry:Fire:

wiljen
10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Lee liquid Alox is not the same stuff used in NRA lube. They are different products.

Alox 606-55hf solvent cutback is what Lee sells as liquid Alox.
Alox 350 is the stuff currently used in NRA or 50/50 lube. (It is a slightly modified version of the earlier Alox 2138f that has now been discontinued).

If you wish to make NRA lube, May I suggest that white label lube (www.lsstuff.com) sells the type of Alox you are interested in and is cheaper than Lee to boot.

Sawdust
10-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Have a bottle of it and don't intend to use as is. Thought maybe I could get some use out of it as a stick lube.

leftiye
10-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Liquid alox (mule snot) will dry to a crumbly rubbery waxy substance (I understand it is a calcium soap). But once dry, it will not melt completely, so - mix it with Bzwax (heavy, maybe 60/40 or more - on the mule snot to compensate for the solvent) as a liquid, and put it in a cookie sheet in the sun to dry. Same technique will make it mix well with Moly/Lithium grease for a truly good lube.

Sawdust
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Might have to play with this down the road. Still have several sticks of lube.

Thanks

jbelder
11-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I took 8oz of beeswax to two bottles of LLA and 4oz of paraffin plus 3tsp of Stp oil treatment. Seems like it will be a good pistol lube for pan lubing.

noylj
11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
There are two Alox's being used.
One is a grease and it goes into the 50:50 lube.
As Lars says on his site, it is NOT the same as LLA.
The Alox in LLA and Xlube is basically and uncoating/antirust that is about the same as Cosmoline and auto body undercoating. It is not a grease. It is a mixture of various oxidized calcium soaps. It has a relatively high melt/drop temperature and really tries to adhere to any surface.

Whistler
12-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Liquid alox (mule snot) will dry to a crumbly rubbery waxy substance (I understand it is a calcium soap). But once dry, it will not melt completely, so - mix it with Bzwax (heavy, maybe 60/40 or more - on the mule snot to compensate for the solvent) as a liquid, and put it in a cookie sheet in the sun to dry. Same technique will make it mix well with Moly/Lithium grease for a truly good lube.
This last sentence is interesting. I haven't seen any recipies where Alox and Moly is mixed. What do you use it for? Any other ingredients? I made the 50/50 beeswas/moly mix and added som carnauba and paraffin for a lube that feels very much like Carnauba Red to handle. What does the Alox do in such a lube?

MikeS
12-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Have a bottle of it and don't intend to use as is. Thought maybe I could get some use out of it as a stick lube.

If you have a bottle of LLA, and do don't plan on tumble lubing boolits with it, then you could always use it for it's original intended purpose, as a rust preventative! I use LLA on ALL my iron or steel boolits moulds, and I find that it works great. I give the mould a good coating of LLA while the mould is cooling off from a casting session (including the mould cavities), then wipe off most of it when the mould has cooled. This leaves a very thin coating of LLA on the entire mould block that really will prevent rust (even tho it's so thin a coating that it's barely detectable by sight, only by feel), and when I'm ready to use the mould again I don't bother removing the LLA, I just pre-heat the mould as usual, and start casting. I've yet to have the LLA cause any problems by being in the cavities.

Sawdust
12-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Interesting. Might have to give that a try. Thanks.

If you have a bottle of LLA, and do don't plan on tumble lubing boolits with it, then you could always use it for it's original intended purpose, as a rust preventative! I use LLA on ALL my iron or steel boolits moulds, and I find that it works great. I give the mould a good coating of LLA while the mould is cooling off from a casting session (including the mould cavities), then wipe off most of it when the mould has cooled. This leaves a very thin coating of LLA on the entire mould block that really will prevent rust (even tho it's so thin a coating that it's barely detectable by sight, only by feel), and when I'm ready to use the mould again I don't bother removing the LLA, I just pre-heat the mould as usual, and start casting. I've yet to have the LLA cause any problems by being in the cavities.

MT Gianni
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654 This is the best way to use LLA.