PDA

View Full Version : Lyman press help

ROCKET
10-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Came across 2 presses by Lyman. Which one would work better, the turret or the spartan? Or should I wait and get a rockchuker?http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_192924e9e55d126e54.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2457)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_192924e9e55e43d4ce.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2458)

hiram
10-19-2011, 01:13 AM
I 'think' the turret takes its own special shellholder. The spartan uses standard shellholders.

fryboy
10-19-2011, 01:15 AM
the spartan ... the other press i believe is a tru line jr. which while ok for pistols it isnt a heavy duty press and it more than likely takes lyman's smaller dies ( aka 310 dies ? ) try one of your dies and see if it fits , i do like the handiness of a turret press ( love the spar-t ! ) but the spartan is beefier than the tru line ...depends upon cost and depends upon your definition of "better" leaving me to ask " better for what? " for what they are they are both fine old presses , IMHO they are only worth about 1/3 of what the rock chucker is in monetary value but a fellow could crank out more 38 specials on the tru line in an hour than either the rock chucker or the spartan , would that define better ? yet either the c frame of the spartan or the o frame of the rock chucker would stand up better to full length sizing rifle brass [shrugz] in today's world all the major manufacturers make great presses , but that bird in the hand thing again ... that's better erm best ;)

ROCKET
10-19-2011, 01:16 AM
I 'think' the turret takes its own special shellholder. The spartan uses standard shellholders.

Thanks

Bret4207
10-19-2011, 07:29 AM
The Spartan uses standard 7/8-14 dies and shell holders. It's a good, solid press. The Tru-Line is a great little pistol/ light duty turret press. You can load excellent ammo on it, but gathering all the parts and dies together is time consuming and rather expensive compared tot he standard stuff.

1hole
10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
If you're paying for it, get the gray one, Spartan, it will accept current dies and shell holders and can handle most any cartridge you may want to run in it. But, it's NOT the equal of a more modern 'compound toggle' leverage system. That means YOU will have to push down much harder to size cases and that effort can get high with larger rifle cases, the pressure isn't so bad but it has to be supported by your bench and that demands a MUCH sturdier bench than a compound toggle press needs for the same work.

I have a Spar-T, the turret version of the Spartan I bought in '65. I quickly understood that a simple turret press really doesn't save time. Later I got a Rock Chucker because of the hype and learned it's no better than others of it's general design but it IS costly. I load modest volumes and mostly rifle ammo so a single stage RC press fits my needs nicely. But, IF I had to replace my loading tools next week I would get a Lee Classic Cast; it's bigger, stronger, will last longer and has MUCH better user features. The CC is actually the better press and it costs MUCH less than the RC.

Given the very reasonable cost of a much superior NEW CC, it would seem foolish to pay more than maybe $30 for the nice old Spartan. But, if you can get it for that price it will sure work until you decide if you want to up-grade. Then you could sell the Spartan or, better, keep it for special purpose tasks that can make it useful forever. IMHO. (I still have my Spar-T set up for limited work.)

Wayne Smith
10-19-2011, 10:02 AM
I assume you are just beginning to reload. If that is the case you do not want the Lyman True-Line Jr. I have one. It does not take the current standard dies or shell holders. It uses the 310 style dies and the Lyman J shell holders. It is a wonderful light press but not something with which to start reloading.

10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
My two-cents:
Pass on the Tru-Line.

If you only load handgun cartridges, the Spartan will suffice. However, an RCBS JR 2 or JR 3 are of the sturdier "O" design (rather than the Spartan's open "C") and parts are still available.

If you will be loading rifle cartridges, buy a press with a compound leverage design (two links attached to the toggle block, rather than one), as it requires less effort to operate.

Maximumbob54
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I would sell them both and buy a Lee Classic Turret.

Char-Gar
10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=rocketblend;1434235]Came across 2 presses by Lyman. Which one would work better, the turret or the spartan? Or should I wait and get a rockchuker?

They are very different presses and both will work, but for different purposes. Without knowing what you want to do with the press, I could not say which one would be best.

1. The Tru-Line Junior press is a nifty little turret press to load handgun ammo or to neck size rifle brass. It lacks the leverage necessary to full length resize rifle brass. It does require special shell holders and takes the smaller 310 dies.

There was a fellow who made and sold replacement turrets on Ebay for this press, that held the standard size dies. I do not know if they are still available.

I used one for years to load many thousand 45 ACP rounds and finally wore the hole in the linkage oval and the linkage would pop off. I could have made new links, but just passed the press on for just a few dollars.

2. The Lyman Spartan is a good solid cast iron single stage press that takes standard shell holders and dies. It will do anything a Rockchucker will do and last two lifetimes. Well, the RC will be a little stronger if you intend to do serious case reforming or bullet swaging operations.

Green Frog
10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I would grab both and set the TL Jr for my current favorite pistol caliber (for which I would have to find and pay for the special dies and shell holder) and load everything else on the Spartan using standard dies and shell holders. Is this the logical thing to do? Is it the most efficient and economical? Doubtful... but what does that have to do with anything. BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I now have a couple of TL Jrs and an RCBS JR set up for most of my work, but also an old Lyman All American and a Dillon Progressive to use when the mood hits. Then there are the back-up presses on the shelf...

Just starting out? Get the Spartan if it's real cheap and appropriate dies and shell holders, or look for something a little newer with compound leverage.

The foregoing is purely my opinion and experience and probably worth about what you paid for it, but it does reflect actual use, not speculation.

Green Frog

ROCKET
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you all for the great info. I am just getting into reloading and I am looking forward to it.
I can get the spartan for about 25.00 and I have my eyes on a rockchuker @ $70.00
The two would hold me just find for a while. Down the line I might get a Hornady LNL which has great reviews.

Happy shooting

Jal5
10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
for $25 i would get the spartan and load everything I can on it if I was just starting out. You can always upgrade later, if you need/want to do it.

EMC45
10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
That's a great deal on the Spartan. I sold one a few years ago for $65 with a few other odds and ends IIRC. They are a good press. Kinda wish I kept mine. The case hardening on it was nice and bright. My buddy is using it right now and has loaded on it since he got it from me.

KCSO
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM
The orange press it a Tru Line Jr and it is the single leverage press suitable only for neck sizing and pistol. It takes the same dies as the nutcracker and is light duty only. If you really want to reload get the Spartan, a much better press for general reloading.

Ziptar
10-21-2011, 05:17 PM
I've recently got a True-line Jr. but, its got the compound linkage and I've switched out the original die plate for one that is threaded for 7/8"-14 Dies. I only use it with straight walled pistol cartridges and mostly .45 Colt, it does that quite well including full length sizing. Anything bigger and it would get done on another press.

The guy that sold the 7/8"-14 die plates on eBay isn't selling them anymore.

If you are just starting out get the Spartan or as was suggested earlier, the Lee Classic Cast.

I like my Tru-Line allot it's a great little press that doesn't take up allot of space and is good for certain jobs. but, for a new reloader just starting out it's too much headaches and cost and there are much better choices to be had.

Suo Gan
10-22-2011, 01:41 AM
Thank you all for the great info. I am just getting into reloading and I am looking forward to it.
I can get the spartan for about 25.00 and I have my eyes on a rockchuker @ $70.00
The two would hold me just find for a while. Down the line I might get a Hornady LNL which has great reviews.

Happy shooting

I think the Spartan will work fine until you get enough for the LNL.