PDA

View Full Version : Win M92 tang sight, peep front?

trooperdan
10-19-2011, 12:11 AM
I recently acquired a Winchester M1892 in .25-20 and have just added a Lyman #2 tang sight. These 69 year old eyes still need help, I'd like to add some type of peep front sight, something similar to the Lyman 17. Anyone have any experience here?

6.5 mike
10-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Dan, I have a lyman 17 on my long bbl'ed 94. Works well for eyes not much younger then your's, lol. It helps being able to change the inserts. :popcorn:

missionary5155
10-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Good morning Trooperdan
Have put tang or peep on near all my hunting rifles. Front sight I am using gold or white dots. Problem I found with a peep front was no light on the front sight and being invisible in early morning or late evening. I hunt river bottoms & woods when up north there. Open fields would be different.
Mike in Peru

trooperdan
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info guys, at least I know it is feasible! I think I'll contact Brownell's for advice on the correct sight... Missionary, I liked your tip about a gold bead too!

45-70 Ranger
10-19-2011, 10:25 AM
TD,

Before my eyes went, I used a peep with a gold bead as well. That gave me enough sight to see in low light as stated above. Diabetes has beaten my eyesight to a pulp (getting old didn't help either) and I had to abandon iron sights just weeks ago. Personally, I miss using iron sights already. I think a scope on a levergun looks out of place. If I could, I'd still use the peep and post/bead as you are. I wish you many more years of fine shooting with your iron!!

Wade

MGySgt
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
45/70 Ranger - Have you tried the FireSight front sight? Fiber Optic front. The only thing I don't like about them is that they tend to be more fragil that a gold bead or white/ivory front post.

fecmech
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
For hunting I'd suggest the Marble "Glow" sight in green. I just put one on a friends .45-70 and he is very happy with it. The green really shows up great in all different backgrounds. I happened to also have a Williams "fire" sight in red that we tried but the green was much better. When I asked my friend what he thought about the sight after using it he said: "Hell Stevie Wonder could see that sight"!

45-70 Ranger
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys. The front sight is/was a blur and my shooting suffererd from that. I'll get one of correct hight and give it a try. Who knows? I might be able to still shoot iron as our brother trooperdan!

Wade

pietro
10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
45/70 Ranger - Have you tried the FireSight front sight? Fiber Optic front. The only thing I don't like about them is that they tend to be more fragil that a gold bead or white/ivory front post.

I've used fiber-optic front sights on my rifles since the idea was introduced - in fact, ALL my rifles that carry sights also sport FO sights.

I've yet to break or damage even one yet, but if damage is a concern to anyone, in addition to their version of the FO sight (the FireSight), Williams also makes/sells a FP front sight hood, which has a light-admitting window cut into it's roof.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/70031firesightramphood.jpg

MGySgt
10-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Pietro - my blasted son-in-law broke the one on my Ruger 10-22. How he did it I don't know. But I would use the hood on any hunting rifle.

I put one on my hunting partners M1895 and I took the original hood from the Marlin front sight and cut a window in it for him - worked great!

6.5 mike
10-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I've got the same green front setup on my other 94 with a williams 5d rear, & yes the green does show up much better. I cut a slot in the factory hood, works great.
With the 17a lymans there is a yellow insert, like shooting glasses, I'm going to try it with the broad post in my Lee Shave globe front & bbl sight on my sharps, might work for hunting.

45-70 Ranger
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Pietro,

That sound like a good move. When I install the sight, I'll trim out the factory hood as 6.5 Mike did. That should do the trick I hope. I sure hate seeing a scope on my GG. It looks......well, I won't go there in respect to those that use scopes. I'll never say a thing against another shooter, period. That's not my way. But I do perfer iron on a levergun. Thanks for the info!

Wade

Clinebo
10-19-2011, 11:17 PM
I put the green fiber optic front sight on my '92 with a Marbles Ghost Ring in back. I really like the combo.