PDA

View Full Version : New to me Lyman 450... Want to shoot it already...

Maximumbob54
10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Help.

I read the instructions online from Lyman and I have it set up right but I'm still doing something wrong. I'm using and RCBS sizer die and the o ring is good. The die is 82232. The bullet goes down, comes back up with lube and works fine. Then suddenly there is no lube in the groove and its all a gooey mess under the bullet. What the heck??? Am I doing a newb error??? This thing was free so I'm trying to use it until I have cash to buy better, but really when it works this things seems to run just fine. Until I have to clean out yet another glob of goo.

Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and I will slap myself as hard as I'm told to do so.

alfloyd
10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Try using a bit less pressure on the lube. You might need to push the boolit down further into the die, go down till you get lube in the crimp groove if it has one, then raise it up a little.

Lafaun

10-18-2011, 05:36 PM
No need to slap yourself, just follow alfolyd's directions and all will be well.

GP100man
10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I have this problem when a mold drops 357 boolits & try to lube em in a 358 die .

Less pressure will surely help but holding the boolit down snugly & a fast positive upstroke will help also .

Also gettin the lube too warm will surely make a mess !!

Pigslayer
10-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Keep it adjusted so that when your bullet is down to the required depth, there is no vertical play in it. I keep a little screwdriver handy to dig out the lube when it appears below the bullet. No big deal.

trapper9260
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
If you do not have a heater for it , it would be wise to get one that way the lube will move easyer and then all you have to do is unplug it when it is warm enough and run some bullets through and do as the orther said and then plug the heater back in when you need to warm the lube again . When you have is normal at times . but it is a good sizer. That is all I have. Hope this helps . Oh if you need a heater I got my from Midway .

Maximumbob54
10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
So it was a newb error. I thought you put the lube under enough pressure to do several bullets at a time. As soon as I started to lower the handle, twist the wrench just a bit, and pull up the handle they started coming out just fine. It's just slow!!! I don't care for the die being .451 since I prefer .452 but it came with it so it's what I'm using for now. I'm using some unknown brand of half alox and half beeswax and it flows just fine. If I ever buy Carnuba Red I will add a heater. Or maybe I will leave this one for soft lube and the Star will have a heater... And a roller handle, air pressure on the lube, bullet feeder...