PDA

View Full Version : New toy...almost

mooman76
02-09-2007, 01:13 AM
I was in a gun shop today mostly just board and needed to get out and a lady came in and was trying to sell a Rugar P89. She had paid $500 for it new and it was still in the box with paperwork. It looked bran new but the gun shop owner would only pay $125. She was trying to get at least $200 for it so she left. I went out the door shortly after because I was in the middle of a purchase and she was pulling away. I could have flagged her down but I couldn't deside that I wanted it for sure so I missed out on the chance and now I wish I had. I don't particulary care for the gun but I could have turned around and sold it for at least $300 and I know the dealer would have put at least $350 on it. :( So why do I feel bad?

9.3X62AL
02-09-2007, 01:45 AM
I bought a P-89C some years back, mostly because it came with a swap barrel in 30 Luger. I had the pistol for over a year before trying the 9mm barrel, and damned if that barrel wasn't accurate and lead-friendly as could be. The trigger takes some getting used to, but it is a serviceable pistol just the same. I still shoot about 4X-5X as much 30 Luger from it as I do 9mm, though. With the 9mm recoil spring in place, you can REALLY get those 85 grain XTP's moving in the pistol safely!

MT Gianni
02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I bought a P-89C some years back, mostly because it came with a swap barrel in 30 Luger. The trigger takes some getting used to, but it is a serviceable pistol just the same.

The first time I went to shoot mine double action I reread the manual looking for a second safety. It had close to a 20 lb pull. I finally got it down to an acceptable level but sold it to a ruger nut and replaced it with a cz 85. That is a world of improvement. Gianni.

joatmon
02-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Was the dealer she bought it from and this one the same? Just wondering.

Four Fingers of Death
02-09-2007, 05:16 PM
The dealer might have seemed greedy, but bear in mind he has to pay for overheads, such as shop costs and staff, etc. He also HAS to make a living. With us, if we make $50-100 on a gun, we feel pretty pleased with ourselves, he might break even or lose money on the same deal, given the overheads. We wouldn't go to work for little or no pay, why should he? Also if paid going value for every gun that came into his shop, he'd have a safe bulging with guns, too dear to make any real money out of and no money in the bank to operate with.

mooman76
02-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Mick
I know this dealer is greedy. Not the worst but his prices are as high or higher than most in town. But... he has a good inventory, usually some interesting pieces the others don't have and we are starved for good gun shops here. And sence the usually shop I did business with closed he is the next best. And even though he is a little higher in price he has the best selection of reload supplies I have found. I argued with him that he was asking too much for Trailboss powder but he insists he is right. It's a 9oz. can and he sells it the same price as the 1 lb cans!

C1PNR
02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
In the early 90's, a good friend of mine (young fellow who ended up with the Monterey County SO) went to the POST Academy at Gavilan College just outside Gilroy, CA.

He paid the tuition, and his folks agreed to pay for his handgun. They bought him a P89 Ruger.

Now this guy was a heck of a hunter, and a good shot with both rifle and pistol.

He did very well in everything except the shooting section. Just ONE more alibi on the range and he would not have passed that portion of the course!

YMMV of course, and this is just another anecdotal recitation, but I don't own a Ruger semi-auto over .22, and probably never will (unless someone gifts one to me[smilie=1: ).

Navahojoe
02-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Last Trail Boss powder I bought came from Gander Mountain here in Huntsville. The price was $12.99 for 9 oz. I remember well thinking, "Damn, thats $25 a pound for powder, It better be good". I can buy Bullseye for about $14 a pound locally, so I got real excited about $25 a pound for Trail Boss.

regards,
NavahoJoe
:castmine: so I can :Fire:

mooman76
02-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Joatmon
Don't know wher she bought it.

Navahojoe.
This place is charging $22.95 for a 9 oz jug and getting away with it. I don't honestly think he is doing it on purpose but he was real arogant about it when I talked to him and I think he doesn't realize he is getting it cheaper than other powders. I won't buy it there!