PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt with Trail Boss

avogunner
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Just looking for other peoples experiences with Trail Boss. I've loaded .45 Colt for many years and have experimented with various powders; Red Dot, 2400, Unique, and more. Last year I started using Trail Boss (usual load is a 200 LFP with 6gr) and it's a nice, easy shooting load that's reasonably accurate in my Ruger Vaquero. However with Trail Boss, after about 25 rounds, I'll start getting some cylinder binding. I've never had this with other powders and if I break it down at the range and give a quick wipe down, it'll go away until the next half a box.
Just curious if anybody here seen the same?

Thanks
Jeff

Tallinar
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I settled on using a 250gr RNFP with 5.4gr of Trail Boss as a somewhat clean-burning load for cowboy shooting. I can put a couple hundred rounds through it with this in a single session and have never had issues with cylinder binding in my Ruger New Vaquero.

When I tinkered with 200gr Trail Boss loads in .45 Colt, I found it burned pretty dirty - even testing various charges. When I moved to 250gr bullets, I experienced cleaner burning loads with both Unique and Trail Boss.

Even after firing 100+ dirty burning loads in a session though, I've never experienced cylinder binding with any of my New Vaqs.

Best of luck.

bigted
10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
i posted on another thread here with a trail boss question and if im outta line for barging in then please let me know and ill slowly back/slink away...LOL

the books ive seen list tb as a max load for a 250 grain boolit being 6 grains... yet the hogdon site says to load up to the base of the boolit for max loads...when thusly loaded the grainage for the trail boss is 9 grains in my rem sized n primed cases?

also ive shot a bunch of unique in my new model vaquero with no cylinder binding... except the black powder loads i ran the other day...this revolver does NOT like black powder...AT ALL .