PDA

View Full Version : On the "handloads for self defense" issue-

Bret4207
10-18-2011, 07:17 AM
I took the time to look up Ayoobs defense of his theory that only factory should be used for SD purposes. As I have maintained, there is no case where the issue of using handloads for self defense has resulted in a conviction based on the handloads "being deadlier" or anything like that. Those sole conviction related to handloads involves what in my opinion is terribly poor defense work as far as I can see and it had nothing at all to do with a self defense situation. Read it for yourselves and decide. I would note that the idea that handloads cannot be duplicated for testing makes zero sense. If that is true then the same thing applies to factory since the powder charge or type may be changed over time. It's nonsense.

Cases Where Handloads Caused Problems in Court by Mas Ayoob

This is a post from Mas Ayoob at THR
---------------------------------------------------

Cases Where Handloads Caused Problems in Court

As promised, here are the sources for records for any who feel a need to confirm the cases I have referenced previously where handloaded ammunition caused problems for people in the aftermath of shootings.

As I have noted in this thread earlier, and as the attorneys who have responded to this matter have confirmed, local trials and results are not usually available on-line. However, in each case, I have included the location where the physical records of the trials are archived.

NH v. Kennedy

James Kennedy, a sergeant on the Hampton, NH police force, pursued a drunk driver whose reckless operation of the vehicle had forced other motorists off the road. The suspect ended up in a ditch, stalled and trying to get underway again. Advised by radio that responding backup officers were still a distance away, and fearing that the man would get back on the road and kill himself and others, Kennedy approached the vehicle. At the driver’s door, the suspect grabbed Kennedy’s Colt .45 auto and pulled it towards himself. It discharged in his face, causing massive injury.

The reload in the gun was a 200 grain Speer JHP, loaded to duplicate the 1000 fps from a 5” barrel then advertised by Speer for the same bullet in loaded cartridge configuration.

This was the first case where I saw the argument, “Why wasn’t regular ammunition deadly enough for you,” used by opposing counsel. They charged Kennedy with aggravated assault. They made a large issue out of his use of handloads, suggesting that they were indicative of a reckless man obsessed with causing maximum damage.

Defense counsel hired the expert I suggested, Jim Cirillo, who did a splendid job of demolishing that argument and other bogus arguments against Kennedy at trial, and Kennedy was acquitted.

This case dates back to the late 1970s. The local courts tell me that the case documentation will be on file at Rockingham County Superior Court, PO Box 1258, Kingston, NH 03843. File search time is billed at $25 per hour for cases such as this that date back prior to 1988.

NJ V. Bias

This is the classic case of gunshot residue (GSR) evidence being complicated by the use of handloaded ammunition, resulting in a case being misinterpreted in a tragic and unjust way. On the night of 2/26/89, Danny Bias entered the master bedroom of his home to find his wife Lise holding the family home defense revolver, a 6” S&W 686, to her head. He told police that knowing that she had a history of suicidal ideation, he attempted to grab the gun, which discharged, killing her. The gun was loaded with four handloaded lead SWC cartridges headstamped Federal .38 Special +P.

Autopsy showed no GSR. The medical examiner determined that Lise Bias had a reach of 30”, and the NJSP Crime Lab in Trenton determined that the gun in question would deposit GSR to a distance of 50” or more with either factory Federal 158 grain SWC +P .38 Special, or handloads taken from his home under warrant for testing after Danny told them about the reloads. However, the reloads that were taken and tested had Remington-Peters headstamps on the casings and were obviously not from the same batch.

Danny had loaded 50 rounds into the Federal cases of 2.3, 2.6, and 2.9 grains of Bullseye, with Winchester primers, under an unusually light 115 grain SWC that he had cast himself, seeking a very light load that his recoil sensitive wife could handle. The gun had been loaded at random from that box of 50 and there was no way of knowing which of the three recipes was in the chamber from which the fatal bullet was launched.

We duplicated that load, and determined that with all of them and particularly the 2.3 grain load, GSR distribution was so light that it could not be reliably gathered or recovered, from distances as short as 24”. Unfortunately, the remaining rounds in the gun could not be disassembled for testing as they were the property of the court (BS! That's complete ****!), and there is no forensic artifact that can determine the exact powder charge that was fired from a given spent cartridge.(In which case there is nothing that can determine what was fired from a factory case!!!)

According to an attorney who represented him later, police originally believed the death to be a suicide. However, the forensic evidence testing indicated that was not possible, and it was listed as suspicious death. Based largely on the GSR evidence, as they perceived it, the Warren County prosecutor’s office presented the case to the grand jury, which indicted Danny Bias for Murder in the First Degree in the death of his wife.

Attorney John Lanza represented Danny very effectively at his first trial, which ended in a hung jury. Legal fees exceeded $100,000, bankrupting Danny; Attorney Lanza, who believed then and now in his client’s innocence, swallowed some $90,000 worth of legal work for which he was never paid.

For his second trial, Bias was assigned attorney Elisabeth Smith by the Public Defender’s office. Challenging the quality of evidence collection, she was able to weaken the prosecution’s allegation that the GSR factor equaled murder, but because the GSR issue was so muddled by the handloaded ammo factor, she could not present concrete evidence that the circumstances were consistent with suicide, and the second trial ended with a hung jury in 1992. At this point, the prosecution having twice failed to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, the judge threw out the murder charge.

It was after this that I personally lost track of the case. However, I’ve learned this past week that the case of NJ v. Daniel Bias was tried a third time in the mid-1990s, resulting in his being acquitted of Aggravated Manslaughter but convicted of Reckless Manslaughter. The appellate division of the Public Defender’s office handled his post-conviction relief and won him a fourth trial. The fourth trial, more than a decade after the shooting, ended with Danny Bias again convicted of Reckless Manslaughter. By now, the state had changed its theory and was suggesting that Danny had pointed the gun at her head to frighten her, thinking one of the two empty chambers would come up under the firing pin, but instead discharging the gun. Danny Bias was sentenced to six years in the penitentiary, and served three before being paroled. He remains a convicted felon who cannot own a firearm.

It is interesting to hear the advice of the attorneys who actually tried this case. John Lanza wrote, “When a hand load is used in an incident which becomes the subject of a civil or criminal trial, the duplication of that hand load poses a significant problem for both the plaintiff or the prosecutor and the defendant. Once used, there is no way, with certainty, to determine the amount of powder or propellant used for that load. This becomes significant when forensic testing is used in an effort to duplicate the shot and the resulting evidence on the victim or target.”(Again I say BS. A case loaded with a known powder charge and projectile is no more or less easy to determine it's properties than a factory load. This is pretty simple stuff and to claim one is different from the other is completely bogus.)

He adds, “With the commercial load, one would be in a better position to argue the uniformity between the loads used for testing and the subject load. With a hand load, you have no such uniformity.(Utter krap! Tear down 10K factory and see what the variance is.) Also, the prosecution may utilize either standard loads or a different hand load in its testing. (Again, then you have a piss poor lawyer if he lets that get by)The result would be distorted and could be prejudicial to the defendant. Whether or not the judge would allow such a scientific test to be used at trial, is another issue, which, if allowed, would be devastating for the defense. From a strictly forensic standpoint, I would not recommend the use of hand loads because of the inherent lack of uniformity (What does he base this assumption on?) and the risk of unreliable test results. Once the jury hears the proof of an otherwise unreliable test, it can be very difficult to ‘unring the bell.’”

Ms. Smith had this to say, after defending Danny Bias through his last three trials. I asked her, “Is it safe to say that factory ammunition, with consistently replicable gunshot residue characteristics, (would) have proven that the gun was within reach of Lise’s head in her own hand, and kept the case from escalating as it did?”

She replied, “You’re certainly right about that. Gunshot residue was absolutely the focus of the first trial. The prosecution kept going back to the statement, “It couldn’t have happened the way he said it did’.” (Then it is up to the prosecution to PROVE that assertion and to the defense to make sure they use the same ammo in their testing. Since that was never done it's obvious the defense counsel was negligent in their duties and the court was wrong for allowing evidence that was clearly tainted to be introduced. And it STILL isn't a SD case!)

The records on the Bias trials should be available through:
The Superior Court of New Jersey
Warren County
313 Second Street
PO Box 900
Belvedere, NJ 07823

Those who wish to follow the appellate track of this case will find it in the Atlantic Reporter.

142 N.J. 572, 667 A.2d 190 (Table)

Supreme Court of New Jersey
State
v.
Daniel N. Bias
NOS. C-188 SEPT.TERM 1995, 40,813
Oct 03, 1995
Disposition: Cross-pet. Denied.
N.J. 1995.
State v. Bias
142 N>J> 572, 667 A.2d 190 (Table)

Last edited by Janq; 07-06-2009 at 10:25 AM.

o Share this post on
o Digg
o Twitter
o Share on Facebook
o Reddit!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
#
07-06-2009 10:23 AM #2
Janq [OP]
Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down)

Send a message via AIM to Janq

TN v. Barnes

The decedent attacked Robert Barnes and his young daughter with a large knife and was shot to death by the defendant with SJHP .38 Special reloads from a Smith & Wesson Model 36. The distance between the two at the time of the shooting became a key element in the trial, and a misunderstanding of that distance was a primary reason he was charged with Murder. The evidence was messed up in a number of ways in this case, and I do not believe the reloaded ammo (which the prosecution did not recognize to be such until during the trial) was the key problem, but it definitely was part of a problem in reconstructing the case. We were able to do that without GSR evidence, and Mr. Barnes won an acquittal. In this case, I believe the use of factory ammo, combined with proper handling and preserving of the evidence by the initial investigators, would have made the defense much easier and might well have prevented the case from ever being lodged against him.

The records of TN v. Barnes are archived under case number 87297015 at:

Criminal Justice Center
201 Poplar
Suite 401
Memphis, TN 38103

Iowa v. Cpl. Randy Willems

A man attempted to disarm and murder Corporal Randy Willems of the Davenport, IA Police Department, screaming “Give me your (expletive deleted) gun, I’ll blow your (expletive deleted) brains out.” Willems shot him during the third disarming attempt, dropping him instantly with one hit to the abdomen from a department issue factory round, Fiocchi 9mm 115 grain JHP +P+. The subject survived and stated that the officer had shot him for nothing from a substantial distance away. GSR testing showed conclusively that the subject’s torso was approximately 18” from the muzzle of the issue Beretta 92 when it discharged. Randy was acquitted of criminal charges in the shooting at trial in 1990. Two years later, Randy and his department won the civil suit filed against them by the man who was shot.

I use this case when discussing handloads because it is a classic example of how the replicability of factory ammunition, in the forensic evidence sense, can annihilate false allegations by the “bad guy” against the “good guy” who shot him. The records of State of Iowa v. Corporal Randy Willems are archived in the Iowa District Court in Scott County, Davenport, Iowa. Those from the civil suit, Karwoski v. Willems and the City of Davenport, should be at the Iowa Civil Court of Scott County, also located in Davenport, Iowa.

A final word: I did not research the above and place it here to placate lightweight net ninjas. I did it because three recent Internet threads led me to believe that a number of decent people had honest questions about the real-world concerns about using handloads for self-defense, and were possibly putting themselves in jeopardy by doing so. For well over a decade, certain people have been creating an urban myth that says, “No one has ever gotten in trouble in court because they used handloads.” (Actually Mas, you proved just the opposite.)

This is now absolutely, and I hope finally, refuted.

Respectfully submitted,
Massad Ayoob

Source - http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....&postcount=140

btroj
10-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Not very convincing evidence to me. He has a certain opinion and I don't think anything will ever change that opinion.
What bothers me more is that people like this have an opinion and many take it as fact. Why are some gun writers held in such high esteem when we really don't know enough aout their ideas to make a good jufpdhement about the validity of those ideas?

Thanks Bret.

LowPE
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I think Mas is just being cautious. Lawyers recommend not getting out of bed each morning because it is too risky.

Several lawyers I have talked to about this agree basically with Mas -- it could be used against you especially in civil court. One of the lawyers brought Mas in as an expert witness and Mas was very effective.

The law is not black and white but full of gray. If there is a way to make money out of it, you can rest assured the theory will be put to the test at some point.

waksupi
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Once Ken closed the original thread, why did it seem like a good idea to open this one?

FISH4BUGS
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Brett:
Thanks for the work. very enlightening.....but I still don't know how I feel about. My house gun handloads are virtually perfect (if I may say so myself) and loaded to +p+ velocities in 38 w/ 125 jhp.
I think that I will take my chances, thanks. If I have to shoot someone in my own home, I doubt there will be much of a debate on this subject from our small town police force.
Depending upon who the perp is (or was) there could even be a "certificate of achievment" issued.

sqlbullet
10-18-2011, 10:33 AM
The real take-away I see from this article is simple. If you are going to carry handloads for self-defense, be meticulous in your records and certain of exactly what is in your gun. Keep range ammo locked up and away from the gun at all times.

All of these cases would have been similarly complicated if the defendants had bought 5-10 different factory loads, then jumbled them all together and loaded their gun randomly from the mix. The real challenge in every case was knowing with certainty which ammo was responsible for the killing discharge.

As I think through this, I am in a similar situation now. I have mix of federal, double tap and buffalo bore ammo in several different weights in the loaded magazines I keep by my bedroom safe for self-defense. I do this because it is a steep price to pay to keep 150 rounds of the same premium ammo on tap, plus enough to shoot a magazine of two once a month.

This would be further complicated by the fact that Buffalo Bore, older Double Tap and my handloads all carry the Starline headstamp. Brian Pearce made this very point in Handloader in an article about using handloads for defense.

I would be better off to standardize on my 205 grain load using AA#9 and load only that ammo. Or order up some JHP's and develop a load if I want jacketed bullets. Then everything in my SD closet would be the same.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Once Ken closed the original thread, why did it seem like a good idea to open this one?

Nothing on TV? :)

BruceB
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Dammit...I swore I wouldn't get into this, but an important point is STILL being ignored.

I've served on juries. Strange things happen behind the closed door of the jury room.

Regardless of the physical evidence....repeat: REGARDLESS OF THE PHYSICAL EVIDENCE.... juries are made up of people, and they form perceptions of the defendants. Those perceptions CAN and often DO affect the findings of the jury.

With the current state of ignorance in the general public (including juries formed from that public) concerning shooting, guns, ammunition and related subjects, perceptions are easily influenced.

The type of ammunition probably will not appear in records of the trial as a reason for conviction. However, it could EASILY have an effect on how the jury views the defendant, and hence on the verdict.

I choose not to leave that door open; I carry factory-loaded ammunition in my defensive guns.

Now, I'll *try* to shut up again...as I tried earlier (obviously without success).

Larry Gibson
10-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Having been a LEO and involved in investigations of shootings I have a hard time understanding how;

"of how the replicability of factory ammunition, in the forensic evidence sense, can annihilate false allegations by the “bad guy” against the “good guy” who shot him."

when Ayoob was able to replicate the loads in one case. It seems if a defendant would give up the data or like most of us would have written it on the box or somewhere. I also really had a problem with the ammo in one case being "property of the court" and not subject to forensic testing, very bad lawyers there. I also agree with Bret that Ayoobs arguments conflict with his own premise. One other thing that doesn’t hold water with Ayoobs premise; how much handgun ammunition is available in stores and gunshops made by small companies with new cases from other manufacturers? That ammunition doesn’t match the same factory ammunition that is made by the case manufacturer. Also how many remanufactured ammunition (much of it handgun ammunition) is sold every year? All of that is “reloaded” by the company that makes it and many times there are different headstamps in a box of ammunition. Are they to prosecuted and suied for carrying “reloads”? Sorry Ayoob, one can indeed make up the same load in different cases and get a comparable GSR as it is the primer, powder and sometimes lead and lube residue that are GSR. The case has nothing to do with GRS patterns and residue.

I carry factory loads when I'm "carrying" strictly for self defense such as around town or at home. However, when hunting, target shooting and plinking and while going to or coming from such activities I carry my own loads. I don't often carry my "self defense" handgun during such. So what does one do when a miscreant threatens you or a loved one with death or serious physical injury? Should I say....oops, we can't do this now because I don't have the right ammo in this gun? I'm sure the miscreant would understand and come back when I was better prepared.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation as above; understand there are good attorneys, and there are bad attorneys...get a good one. Also get competent expert witnesses who understand forensics. Too many attorneys don’t bother to understand the subject the expert witnesses will testify too. If the attorney doesn’t understand the right questions to ask then either tell him what to ask or get an expert to brief him. He’s your attorney and it’s your *** so make sure the attorney does it right. Believe me when I say I’ve won numerous shaky cases (not saying the perp wasn’t guilty, just saying the evidence was shaky) simply because the defense attorney didn’t ask the right questions. If your attorney says to a witness; “tell us in your own words what happened” fire him as he is lazy. Your attorney should know the answer to every question asked and his questions should be pertinent and direct to bring out a specific point or evidence.

However, if you find yourself in a case where the ammunition is a main point then something else you did is seriously in question.

Also don't let your attorney rely solely on the states forensic evidence. These days there is too much test equipment readily available and experts to prove what was apparently confusing in the cases Ayoob presents. I wonder just how many of the justified shootings that occur every year are with reloaded ammunition. Get your own forensics expert witnesses.

I know what I use for ammunition in my handguns, sometimes it is factory and sometimes my own reloads simply by circumstance. Will I be concerned about the ammuntion if I happen to have if I must use deadly force to protect myself or someone else? Figure the odds.........

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
10-18-2011, 01:04 PM

I'm trying to present Ayoobs argument based on his words and not on hearsay. IOW, to put it to bed once and for all. The subject comes up about once a month, so maybe we can get the facts out and sticky this and leave it at that.

Makes sense, no?

Char-Gar
10-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I have practiced Criminal Defense Law and been a Prosecutor as well. Currently my retirement gig is reaching Legal Studies at the local University and that included Criminal Law and Civil Litigation. While none of that makes me the ultimate guru on the matter, it does give me a perspective.

I have never found Ayoob position credible and the above information does not change my position. There are never two fact situation 100% the same, so a point by point analysis would prove nothing. There is so much objective evidence and subjective jury/attorney/judge bias, that the mix can never be duplicated twice. Could handloads play a part in a jurors thinking? Sure, but so can color of hair, gender, race and on and on and on. The verdict will turn on the facts and circumstances of the shooting and not the type of ammo.

Whatever bias there is in the courtroom by whoever has it, can't be reduced to paper, studied and quantified, so we stick to the law.

For the most part, My social weapons are loaded with factory ammo, but that fact has nothing to do with feeling queasy about the liability issue, either criminal or civil. I carry autopistols and it is easier to buy high quality ammo than to make it myself. I am just lazy and have let the ammo makers do my R&D and quality control for me.

Here in Texas, it is an affirmative defense to a negligence suit stemming from a shooting/killing, if the shooting was justified by the Texas Castle law. i.e. Prove the shooting was justified under the Castle Law and there is no civil liability, law suit over!

This matter will never be put to rest, as the Old Wives tale has gotten out of the coop and is in the wind. It will come up, over and over again, not matter how hard we try to drive a stake through it's heart.

shooter93
10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Personally I don't think it would matter. It would either be...so your gun was loaded with specially designed handloads to maim or kill ...or it would be....so your gun was loaded with those hollowpoints designed to rip human tissue to shreads. The main thing is you're the one on the stand....not the guy who attacked you.

geargnasher
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks Bret, I would have missed that otherwise.

Gear

leftiye
10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
There's some muy simple logic available to any who worry about this. If you're worried - don't shoot anybunny with a handload. End of problem.

I'm not worried. Thay get shot with whutever I have(?????). Plus - there are always more of whatever was fired in the box where I got the one(s) that I fired. They can test those. It's as simple as labeling your loads.

wills
10-18-2011, 08:50 PM
And, what about a motion in liminie against making reference to the ammunition?

Is there any case law, at all, on the use of handloads? I suspect there is not.

jonas302
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
If you shoot someone you have to understand when you pull the trigger there is a 50% chance your going to jail better hope it was worth it. All the talk of defense rounds makes no sense to me a 22lr will kill someone just as dead So will a baseball bat to the head

Char-Gar
10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't think I would file a Motion in Liminie and give the prosecution an idea it might not already have. It would depend on the judge, the the Prosecution would argue that it was relevant as it showed a culpable state of mind (malice, intent, etc. etc.). The Judge may or may not grant such a motion and I can't think of any legal reason to exclude ammo evidence. It could be argued it would be prejudicial and cause the jury to dislike the defendant, but that is awful flimsy.

By trying to exclude the ammo evidence, it just might make the prosecution think it was more important than it is. Sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs sleep.

Char-Gar
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
If you shoot someone you have to understand when you pull the trigger there is a 50% chance your going to jail better hope it was worth it. All the talk of defense rounds makes no sense to me a 22lr will kill someone just as dead So will a baseball bat to the head

I don't know where you get that number, but it sounds very bogus to me. Methinks that is a SWAG number.

C1PNR
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I think waksupi was referring to the fact that this is very well plowed ground. Y'all have your opinions and I have mine.

You have to admit, though, that we've all seen the examples of what I'll call "prosecutorial abuse" in so many cases nationwide.

That's why I'm with BruceB in that I'll just eliminate that potential of "reckless" behavior as it relates to my choice of ammunition in both my criminal and civil cases, because, trust me, there will be both in our present litigious society.

The civil case is most likely the one where trial counsel will do his best to generate anger at the defendant. After all, that's the job of the trial lawyer, get both the plaintiff and the jury angry at the defendant, and then the evidence makes no difference, and plaintiff becomes totally unreasonable at settlement conferences, leading to outrageous settlements, or trial.

Don't believe me, check out the McDonalds case of hot coffee burns to "private parts" and the multi-million dollar verdict. Plaintiffs counsel did an excellent job of getting the jury angry at the plaintiff, although not without some help from defendant.
:wink:

Enough rambling!

Nope, I'll go with factory for defense loads, and keep the boxes handy.

Char-Gar
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
If you check out the facts of the McDonalds case, things look a bit different.

The managment jacked the temp of the coffee up beyond where McDonald's said it should be. This was done to keep a bunch of geezers from drinking too many of the free refills.

The woman dropped some in her lap and it took $100,000 worth of reconstructive surgury to get his "private" parts put back in the normal way. Even there there was some disfunction.

These were the facts as they came out in trial and are overlooked by most folkw who get spun up about the case.

Bret4207
10-21-2011, 06:44 AM
I have stated repeatedly that IMO a person should carry what THEY feel comfortable with, not what I think is good or Joe thinks is good or Fred thinks is good. The issue here is a claim made by an "authority", someone who also happens to at least partially represent himself to be something he isn't, who makes the claim that the issue of handloads doing damage to a shooter at trial is a fact, more or less. I happened to find the post I referenced and found it to be something of a stretch to call his examples "proof" that he was correct. I'm just presenting his words, his claims, for digestion by the board members here. Yes, it's plowed ground, but even plowed ground needs further fitting before you plant and harvest your crops.

Read what the guy says, weigh it against your own feeling, experience and beliefs. Lets face it, 99% of us will never even have to draw a gun against another person. Most of this is speculative and hypothetical anyway.

alamogunr
10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Read what the guy says, weigh it against your own feeling, experience and beliefs. Lets face it, 99% of us will never even have to draw a gun against another person. Most of this is speculative and hypothetical anyway.

I sincerely hope you are right!