PDA

View Full Version : Primers?????

abunaitoo
10-18-2011, 05:56 AM
How do you tell small rifle primers from small pistol primers?????
I know large rifle primers are a little taller than large pistol primers.
I put some small rifle primers next to some small pistol primers, and they look the same hight.

Reason is I puller some primers from some .22 Hornet brass. My thinking is they are small rifle. I could be wrong.

ku4hx
10-18-2011, 06:52 AM
There are dimension differences but I think I'd deactivate them and move on. Seems a waste, but I never guess when it comes to powder and primers.

rockrat
10-18-2011, 07:37 AM
I think they are only a few thousandths difference in height and possibly thickness of the metal.
I think on some brands, the lacquer on the primers is a different color , from sr to sp. If I am not sure what they are, I will also deactivate them and bury them.

Rocky Raab
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
If they've been seated and deprimed, the original dimensional differences are now moot. You have "mystery" primers.

Frankly, I'd put them right back into the Hornet brass and use them there. Somebody viewed them as suitable for use there, and were probably right. I'd pick a mild to moderate load and shoot them up.

bobthenailer
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I dont know about other brands of primers just FEDERAL primers on the inside of the cup at the center of the anvil there is a color code paint ! just match the color code with some still in the correct primer box . also you may be able to see the color by looking inside the case and looking at the flash hole to see the color .

abunaitoo
10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Never thought about the color of the primer compound.
I've noticed different colors before, but never tried to compare them.
I'll look into it.
Thanks.

MtGun44
10-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Each mfg has their own inside color code. Match the color and you are home, altho I
suppose that a Fed pistol may have a similar color to a CCI rifle. . . . . .

Bill

bbogue1
03-01-2021, 10:10 AM
Here is some info I have found:
Inside primer (anvil) color and size
Winchester SPP are Red
Winchester SRP are Green
Winchester LRP are ?
CCI SPP are Yellow Brass
CCI SRP are Yellow Brass ( about 10 years ago they were red)
CCI LRP are Yellow
Federal SPP = Green
Federal LRP are

There are two sizes and four types of primers. Pistol primers have thinner and somewhat softer primer cups than their rifle counterparts. Small pistol and rifle primers utilize a cup 0.175" in diameter, while large pistol and rifle primers measure 0.210" across.
I read that pistol primers may be a tiny bit shorter than rifle primers, though I can't find any specs.

Source http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?415375-Color-inside-of-primers&highlight=anvil+color
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/171911-primer-color-reference/