PDA

View Full Version : This is only the beginning...

ocelott
10-18-2011, 02:54 AM
Goal: to create 2 brass jackets/bullets for my 357 with one 223 brass case.

I have ordered some Neck expanding mandrels from Sinclair to open the neck all the way to 358 in 4 steps. I will be cutting the base and web from the brass and sizing the "tubes" through the .357 lee bullet sizer die

I will be documenting my successes and failures on this thread for my attempt.

I will be attempting to create XTP style bullets using CH4D dies and BT Snipers universal notch die.

The core will be an effort of trial and error - Ideally I'd like to have an 160-170 grain finished product.

I will be testing cast WW, 50/50 WW/lead cores, pure lead cores.

I will be documenting my progress as I go along.

I will be starting with mil-spec brass, a home drilled Lee alum 6 cav blank, and hopefully a lot of luck.

I have only just ordered the dies so It may take a few weeks before the next post....Any input would be more than welcome

kawalekm
10-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I did it somewhat differently than you plan to. After cutting the .223 case in half, I made the neck of the .223 case the base of the bullet on the right. Notice though the open base on the bullet turned sideways. I've haven't had a slipped core yet, but it's something that potentially can happen. What I might try next is first bumping the case neck against a bullet seating die first to curve in the neck brass, then folding it under further in the swaging die.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/223caseto357jackets.jpg