PDA

View Full Version : La Coruna 98 Action

TCLouis
10-17-2011, 11:04 PM
So this action is just lying around collcting dust . . .

And

They are supposedly soft

And

I have a brand new 17.5" milsurp 7X57 and a 20-22" 7.62X51 barrel lying around

So

I'm thinking 7X57 or 308 cast boolit shooter

So what about it, don't think it can be heat treated and surely cast load pressures will set it back, no set back now from the loads it has been shooting in the military format?

Pavogrande
10-18-2011, 03:57 AM
I think the "soft " label is rather misleading -- soft is relative, they may be "softer" than other 98s but that does not make them unsuitable actions. There has not been a peck of information documenting failures.
There is no reason to think "cast loads" will cause set-back. usually cast loads are milder than FMJ military loads.
I would examine the lug area for any signs of set-back and possibly grind the lugs in.
This action is chambered in 8x57 and converted to FR-8 rifles in 7.62 nato
I would consider it a very good action for most any caliber not exceeding those parameters.
my tuppence

azrednek
10-18-2011, 04:22 AM
My previous experience with the Spanish 98's is their receivers and bolts are inconsistent. You may get a soft receiver, you might get a brittle receiver and hopefully you have a good one. Despite the bad press there are some good ones out there but it is like shooting dice. If possible go put a hundred or more rounds of mil-surp ammo through it. If you see signs of a headspace problem developing hang it on the wall. If you have or have access to headspace gages. Check it before and after a lengthy shooting session. If you don't mind spending the bucks you can get the receiver heat treated but chances are good it will cost more than the rifle is worth on the retail level.

twotoescharlie
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Fr8?

Tc

TCLouis
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I don't think the FR8s were based on Spanish actions at all were they?

Pavogrande
10-21-2011, 02:15 AM
As I understand the fr8 is a converted spanish 98, the fr7 is a converted m93 or m1916 spanish action

gnoahhh
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Back when I was immersed in shooting milsurps I chanced onto a handful of La Coruna 98's. I subjected the receivers to a Rockwell hardness tester, taking readings on the receiver ring on top of the locking lug recess and other random points. The hardness of this admittedly small sampling showed to be close to what I came to expect from German, Austrian and Czech Mausers, with one exception which was decidedly harder. Too hard/brittle? Who knows. I didn't do anything more to it. That said, aside from the fact that there are Mausers out there which are far more deserving of spending money on than Spanish orphans, I wouldn't hesitate to barrel one up for a cast bullet shooter. My personal philosophy regarding any 70 year old and older Mauser is to avoid the really high intensity cartridges though god knows plenty of them have been so chambered.

plainsman456
10-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I have built a 243 win and a 308 with these actions,I sold the 308 my brother has the 243 and it has not had any problems with pressure.