PDA

View Full Version : Old Powder

Navahojoe
02-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Dug out my 12 gauge reloading box today and lol and behold, I found a can of Winchester/Western Ball Powder , #473AA and a can of Winchester/Western Ball powder. #540. I lost my last bird dog in 1975, quit quail hunting and quit reloading for the 12 gauge. Thats how long the powder has been in storage. The powder still smells like gunpowder, so I think it is still good. My question, can anyone come up with an application for this powder in handguns such as .44 rem mag or 45 colt? I would like to use it up, if possible, without having to load the old 12 gauge. Sold the old Ruger over/under several years ago.
regards,
NavahoJoe

:castmine: so I can :Fire:

Kraschenbirn
02-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Joe...

Checked all my old reloading manuals and manufacturer's handouts (I never seem throw anything away) and couldn't find a single reference for loading WW473AA (now discontinued) in metallic cartridges. However, I did find some loads for WW540 in an old Winchester hand-out (Winchester Reloading Componets Manual, 14th Edition). Only shows loads for the .38 Super, .38 Special, 10mm Auto, and .45 ACP, though but you might be able to interpolate something from the 10mm and .45 ACP data.

If you want it, I can scan the pages and attach them to an e-mail

Bill

Scrounger
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
If I remember correctly, #473 is ~about the burning speed of Green Dot, say between Green Dot and Unique, and #540 is close to Blue Dot. Starting loads for those powders ought to be safe enough to try. If you're leary, call the Custmer Service number for Winchester Powders. But they will only have data for the applications the used it in, shotgun shells.

Here is a link to another forum where they are talking about those two powders: http://800shotgun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1197&highlight= One fellow says #540 burns like HS-6. ???

Poygan
02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I have used 473AA at 12 grains with a 429421 in a 29-2 which really liked it. This is a load I worked up and didn't come from any reloading book. So, if you choose to try it, you do so at your own risk. 473AA is in the neighborhood of Unique as to burn rate. Perhaps there is a good reason it was never included in any of my reloading books for pistol loads....

MtGun44
02-09-2007, 02:09 AM
W540 is HS-6. Not like HS6 , IS HS-6. Use HS-6 data from
Hodgdon and you'll find it is a fine pistol powder.

Bill

Navahojoe
02-09-2007, 10:11 PM
:coffee: Thanks for the replies, folks. One of the things I like about this site is the helpful folks that reside here. Thanks again! I'm gonna try some of that powder.

regards

NavahoJoe

:castmine: so I ccan :Fire: