PDA

View Full Version : .22 Bator from Midsouth, quick test

TDB9901
02-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Another cold, windy crappy day off. Sun never seems to shine on my weekends anymore....... Got anxious to shoot something anyway so I took 5 of the .22 Bators I had cast as a test run last week with the new mold, and had dribbled with LLA, in wait for the arrival of gaschecks. ( ACWW + 1% tin)

I seated them, unsized & unchecked, into unsized .22 Hornet cases over 3.5 grains of Unique, and a CCI sp primer to where they just touched the rifling.

I then grabbed my Handi Rifle, a "Hot Pocket" box out of the trash, hit the blustery wind and freezing drizzle to the old tree in the back yard, backed off about 25 yards to the propane tank, leaned across it for a rest, and blazed away.

The results were satisfying. I'm going to try to post a picture, but perhaps with a better rest , and no wind blowing up my butt it could have been very good.
(Gotta work on the trigger on that Handi too)

Jist a quick experiment, nothing conclusive. But it shows potential.. even if for just a backyard rabbit plinker...........Worth the small bucks invested.....

PatMarlin
02-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Beautiful!

It's raining back here, and I was just trying to get up the gumption to go cast some bators from my new mold and give her a try.

Might not make it though.. :mrgreen:

Keep us posted..!

nighthunter
02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Are there supposed to be holes in that hot pocket wrapper or just Mr. Smiley ? I don't see any boolit holes.
Nighthunter

TDB9901
02-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I guess it kinda does look like a smiley face doesn't it?? but they are holes..

I should have quit with a 3 shot group, and the "eyes" wouldn't have been there..I always screw up a good group with the last one or two.
Aiming point was the yellow square about 3" higher.

Bad picture too, ............I still haven't figured the camera out very well

nighthunter
02-09-2007, 03:39 PM
LMAO TDB .... Its so darn cold here that I can't even think about an outdoors shooting session. I'm glad you were able to get in some "good" time. I live about 18 miles from Punxsutawney Pa ... The Weather Capital Of The World ... you have to have heard about Punxy Phil. With his recent prediction of an early spring I'm hopeing for some trigger practice real soon. At least this cold weather is good bullet casting weather.
Nighthunter

TDB9901
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
nighthunter,

Yeah, I've heard of old Phil. If his predictiion don't pan out, you need to slip over and pay him a visit....ya know, just to say hello..

Barely in the teens here today...Keep warm

Tom

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
02-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Yep, really nasty cold here in Arkansas today, Dang, must have been down to 48* today.:mrgreen: