PDA

View Full Version : Any help on DIY lube for .44SPL to Magnum

Dutchie
10-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Newbie on the forum here but years ago i made a lube with beeswax and sheepfat and something.
I do not remember the rest of the recipie , any help is apriciated.
I made a BIG mistake back then.Wanted to color it with crayon but it was waterbased so you can picturize how the kitchen looked liked, I still do , everything was sticky , smelled like sheep and was red !
That's one mistake I won't make again.

But the combination I scraped off the floor and the walls worked.Now I need your experience to complete the thing.
BTW. not pan lubing but to use in a lube o matic.
thanx in advance.

Hans.

captaint
10-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Dutchie - It's pretty hard to beat 50/50 beeswax and Alox. If you can, it's just as cheap to buy lubes from White Label Lubes. Carnauba Red and BAC are both great lubes. Let us know how you make out. PS> Both should be fine for anything but high vel rifle. And they may be OK there too... enjoy Mike

Ben
10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Many here on the forum make this and have good things to say about it :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81031

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I use a homebrew lube for 44 or 357 pistol, that I have had great success with.

it's basically Beeswax blended with smokless 2 cycle motor oil
with options of JPW and Lanolin.
the exact recipe is in post #93 in the sticky "Just the facts: Lube recipes"
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524&page=5
btw, there are a ton of other recipes there, check them out...good reading.
you may find one with ingrediants you have ready available in your country/town.
Jon

mdi
10-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I've had good results with my version of Speed Green (same original recipe with addition of 1 tsp. lanolin to each batch). Shooting in my .44 Mags from Special velocities to mid level Magnum loads it works great. I had some 357 Magnum loads that turned out to be slightly over max. lubed with my Speed Green and shot them through my Taurus with no leading at all (155 gr, SWC plain base cast from wheel weights over a max.+ load of True Blue)

Dutchie
10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok thnx sofar.

Imma reading my eyes out, man lots of info, also have to translate some stuff to look what it is anyway.

And lubing is a craft / science on it's own:CastBoolitsisbest:

And I'm the new apprentice here.

Hans.