PDA

View Full Version : Plain base or gas check for hollow point boolits

SciFiJim
10-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I tried doing a search for threads on the topic of the subject, but got too many hits to read through. Even using the advanced search options of Google didn't help much.

With the group buys we have available, molds can be ordered with either of both type of base. I can understand why to plain base or gas check a solid boolit. The gas checked boolits can be driven harder for a sought after effect and I can understand having a gas checked boolit for HPs to have a greater potential for velocities. However, what are the thoughts behind a plain base hollow point boolit? I understand the cost of gas checks adding to the cost of each boolit. To get expansion, the boolit has to be driven above a certain velocity. That particular velocity is determined by alloy, size of HP and medium fired into. It seems to me that having a plain base HP boolit would limit the options of the shooter.

What are thoughts of those with experience with both?

Larry Gibson
10-16-2011, 02:27 PM
For a HP to expand correctly you need a softer, malleable alloy. Many times such softer alloys can not be driven above 900 - 1000 fps without leading and a loss of accuracy. Having used HP'd cast bullets for years if they are to driven above 1000 fps I use a GC'd bullet with the GC.

Thus with magnum handguns i can drifle the standard weight for caliber softer cast HP'd bullets to 1350 - 1400+ fps out of 6 - 7 1/2" barreled revolvers with accuracy comparable to jacketed or hard cast PB'd bullets. Plus the softer cast bullets then expand and give better terminal effect on game.

In rifle cartridges I regularly use a softer alloy in GC'd bullets in .30 - .375 caliber at 2000 - 2300 fps with very good terminal results to 200+ yards. Accuracy is also excellent. Can't do that with such soft cast PB'd bullets.

Larry Gibson

fredj338
10-16-2011, 03:27 PM
It depends. I have both. For low pressure rounds, like the 45acp, a pb works fine, you are running soft alloy to maybe 1000fps. In the 44mag, I run a gc pushing a heavy 270grLHP @ 1250fps or so w/ a moderate soft 20-1 or 25-1 alloy.

longbow
10-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Being lazy and cheap, I don't like the extra hassle and expense of gas checks so if I don't need them I don't want them.

From my somewhat limited experience, I find that my .44 and .45-70 rifles handle PB boolits just fine with top end loads.

In my .308 and .303's though I do need some help with anything more than low velocity loads so use filler under PB boolits or GC boolits if I want higher velocities.

It also depends on the purpose of the HP. To get expansion without fragmentation Larry has summed it up well. On the other hand if all you want to do is blow up milk jugs full of water and the like then hard brittle boolits will work fine.

I have been thinking about trying PB checks on my .30 cal. boolits to see how they work. If they do work out for higher velocities then my preference would be to cast PB and use barefoot for modest velocities then use the PB GC's for hotter loads.

I would rather use a PB boolit than a GC boolit without GC for loads that don't need GC as I seem to get better accuracy. If the PB GC's work out then only one mould needed!

Just my thoughts.

Longbow

1Shirt
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I am of the school of thought that HP's, regardless of PB or GC's, if properly cast tend to shoot more accurately than non HP's because of more weight in the rear. Think that is why match jacketed blts tend to be HP's. With cast there is as stated the issue of matching the alloy for the vol etc. for expansion if expansion is wanted. However if it is a matter of accuracy on paper that is another story, and there are always going to be major differences of opinions on the subject.
1Shirt!

MT Gianni
10-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I believe that a GC allows you to use a softer alloy than plain based. If you get expansion, accuracy and no leading from a pb go ahead. If you don't, try a checked version or invert a check under the bullet in a straight walled case.

ku4hx
10-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't think it matters.

Bret4207
10-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Well, a GC design will likely shoot as good slow as it will fast. The same cannot be said of PB. If I could only have one, the GC is going to work across a wider range. It's a personal judgment call in the end.

JeffinNZ
10-18-2011, 05:25 PM
I shoot a Lyman 31133 PB HP out of my .32-20 at 1850fps using a LDPE wad to protects its nether regions. Shoots great.

MtGun44
10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I shoot 8 BHN hollowpoint and non-HP plain bases way over 1000 fps with no problems.

Bill

MT Gianni
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't think it matters.

Probably not @ 1500 fps, it certainly does @ 750 fps.