PDA

View Full Version : New Toys

Diamond-City-Bob
02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Went to the city for a couple of days, got a S&W stainless in .44 mag A blackhawk in the same and a Glock in 10mm. I know that to some eyes it is uglier than someone else's sin but it do shoot real good. I know just what to do with the first two and the pot is coming to temp as we speak.
With the Glock I wonder about shooting cast. There seem to be two schools of thought on this, I'm interested in the general consensus here. I'm most interested in first hand experience.
Thanks
Bob

BigSlick
02-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Buy an aftermarket barrel to save the brass from getting bulged all to hades. As a side benefit, shoot cast thru the new barrel until you run out of lead, or desire, which ever comes first.

The stock barrels lack full support in the 6 o'clock position, so your *very* expensive and hard to find brass gets beat up in just a couple of firings.

Best bang for the buck in aftermarket drop in barrels for the G20 is either StormLake or LoneWolf. Barsto, KKM and Jarvis make barrels too, but usually require a little fitting. Brass fired in any of these, loads like a dream and lasts a good long time unless you are shooting nuculear loads.

You can work out shooting cast thru the stock barrel safely with a little precaution, it just isn't worth beating the brass up IMO.

'Slick
________
TAOISM ADVICE (http://www.religionboard.org/taoism/)

doc25
02-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Don't use lead in the stock barrel. Get an aftermarket barrel and you can use it with lead. Be safe.

eka
02-08-2007, 06:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Glock-20-10mm-Standard-Length-Storm-Lake-Barrel_W0QQitemZ110088330268QQihZ001QQcategoryZ739 45QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this link works.

I've been thinking about a Storm Lake for my G19. My G36 has a Jarvis and I love it.

Keith

Diamond-City-Bob
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I was figuring that an after market barrel would be the way to go for the sake of leading. With the info on the brass getting beat up, that's just what's going to happen. found my 10mm dies but can't seem to find the size die for the .44 but I still have better than half the shop to go through. I did get a couple of boxes of Blazer with this deal so I got to shoot some today. Both 44s are quite good but with some fiddling around they will be great. I get positively giddy when I think how much money I'll be saving when I'm casting for two more guns than I am at the present.
Bob

BigSlick
02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I get positively giddy when I think how much money I'll be saving when I'm casting for two more guns than I am at the present.

[smilie=1:

I use that one too :mrgreen:

I own both Storm Lake and Lone Wolf barrels and if I had to buy them again, I would give the nod to the Lone Wolf barrel. Lone Wolf Dist customer service is outstanding. A good friend of mine got a Storm Lake 40SW barrel with the chamber cut slightly short.

He bought it from Top Glock. They were zero help and Storm Lake wasn't too happy to help, but finally did recut the barrel, with shipping on my friends dime.

My SL barrels have been outstanding, but the way they handled the whole problem with my friend's barrel just made me wary of finding myself in the same situation.

IMO, a replacement barrel should have been sent immediately, on SL's dime.

Maybe I expect too much, but it took my frend almost two months to get things square. In the end, his barrel was great, but the hassle and lack of customer support was more than I would care to endure.

I know every mfr has problems at one time or another, but a simple QC check or maybe not using the same reamer until it was so dull might have avoided the whole issue. Treating the customer like an idiot and requiring irrefutable proof of a problem before they were even interested was over the top IMO.

Even then, to make a customer pay shipping both ways to correct an obvious QC/mfr problem is just being a cheapskate.

I try to avoid those when I can.

'Slick
________
Big Boobs (http://www.****tube.com/categories/10/big-tits/videos/1)

Ron
02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Bob, I have a GLOCK 34 and have had no problem shooting my hard cast projectiles in it. The bbl didnt lead and it is easily cleaned. Don't clean it or shoot overloads and you will have problems.

I was in the USA last July and bought a Storm Lake bbl for the 34. It dropped in without any fitting and works well.

So which ever way you decide to go, I am sure your GLOCK will serve you well.