PDA

View Full Version : .32 H&R mag?

Ragnarok
10-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I've used .32 H&R mags some in Russian Nagant revolvers..which really don't give a true appraisel of the cartridge.

However a couple weeks ago..I bought myself a nice little S&W Model 16-4 in .32 mag. Now this is a nice revolver..and shows just how accurate the .32 magnum can be!:D

The .32H&R magnum jumped from being a caliber I can use as 'ersatz ammo' to fill a Nagant revolver's chambers for plinking..to being a potential small game shooter..even a defensive round..and marvelously accurate for plinking!

I did have some issues finding ammo..The larger distributer/store I got the used S&W from were out..normaly in stock..but none at the time. Wal Mart had none, however another gunstore/archery store had a pile of it..and .32 S&W longs too.

So ammo is out there..but commen sense tells me it's going to be a reloading proposition. Any advice on dies..powder..bullets for manufacturing my own .32 Mag ammo?

Thanks..Rag

Guesser
10-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I use Lee 32 Long/Mag dies, they have worked well for me for many years. I added the Carbide Crimp Die when it came out some years later, but it is not needed. The seating die works well.

Wheeler
10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Starline makes brass. All the original Federal brass that I have shot splits. I believe that some of the Russian companies make ammo for it as well.

It's not real without a picture
:)

Larry Gibson
10-16-2011, 01:42 PM
The newer Federal brass doesn't split like the original stuff did. I've a couple boxes of Fed Classic 90 gr LSWCs and it's good brass. I've seen a couple off shoot makes for cowboy action and they had Starline brass. Saw 3 bags of .32 H&R Starline brass in the Lacey, WA Cabela's yesterday. Most of my loads are in Starline brass. I've been a fan of the .32 H7R for many years. Had numerous S&Ws and a couple H&Rs along the way but settled down to one Ruger original run Single Six with 6 1/2" barrel and a 10" Contender Barrel. Both are extremely accurate.

I found .314 sized cast best in the S&Ws and H&Rs but use .312 in the Ruger and Contender. Mostly I shoot the Lee TL314-90-SWC (the Hornady swaged .32 lead bullets is as good) over 3.2 gr Bullseye for 1050 fps out of the Ruger and 1150 fps out of the Contender. For truely magnum loads I use the Lyman 313631 GC' SWC (designed for the .32 H&R) or the GC'd 311316. Both are extremely accurate and shoot very well under 2400, H110, Blue Dot or Lil'gun.

Larry Gibson

Ragnarok
10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Starline makes brass. All the original Federal brass that I have shot splits. I believe that some of the Russian companies make ammo for it as well.

It's not real without a picture
:)

I don't have any way to get pics online at the moment..but I will comply with pics soon as I get a picture hosting deal set-up..you want pics of the S&W 16..or all the boxes of Federal 85gr ammo I bought? :???:

Wheeler
10-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd. Love to see pictures of the 16, I'd be jealous of the ammo.
I've got a boatload of. 32 long that shoots well out of my 16 but not as well out of my model 30. I'm looking forward to the day I've got enough scratch to get a new setup so I can start loading. 32's.

EOD3
10-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I shoot the LaserCast 115 grain .314 bullet out of Starline brass using H110 powder. The combination provides better accuracy than my aging (read shaky) hands out of my 6" Smith.

When I went to the LaserCast site to get the part number, I notice the bullet appears to be different than the last batch I bought. The ones I have are .314 and IIRC, have a slightly different profile.

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Die brand doesnt much matter. Buy any of them and pick up some starline brass and an rcbs 98 grain swc mold. There may be better bullets in your gun but that bullet shoots well in all my 32s and the mold doesnt break the bank. For powders for high end loads look at 2400, aa9 and 110/296. For plinking loads any fast burning powder like bullseye or 231. One thing ive noticed and i dont know why is my high end ammo allways seems to shoot better with cci mag primers. Dont know why with this small case but it does for me. For a heavier bullet ive had real good luck with the lbt 115 rfgc and the ballistic cast 120 swcgc. I could easily live with those three molds for all my 32 shooting.

19112TAP
10-17-2011, 10:49 AM
+1 on the RCBS 98 SWC excellent bullet, I have had good luck with Unique, AA7, HS-6, 2400 & 110/296. Another bullet I have had great luck with is the Lyman 311008 or 31133 HP but I still come back to the RCBS 98. Good luck with your S&W I would like to get one some day.

crazy mark
10-18-2011, 12:20 AM
So Larry, When I was there Sunday there was only one bag left. Did you buy the other 2. I picked up a H&R 586 with a 10" barrel in Albany on my way home today. I use the lee dies, and various RCBS, Lyman and Modern Bond moulds to feed all my 32 Mags. Starline brass seems to hold up the best.

NoZombies
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Good advice given so far.

Starline brass is the best brass in .32 magnum that I've found. Lyman 311008 and rcbs 32-098 SWC are still in production, and can be bought new if you can't find them used, and there's a group buy going right now for a Keith type SWC down the page in the group buy section as well.

A well made .32 with a tuned load is a joy to shoot.

Ragnarok
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I fired a few rounds this afternoon from my 16-4..I likeee a lot!..Way nicer handgun for shooting .32 mag from than a Nagant revolver.

Larry Gibson
10-19-2011, 11:09 PM
So Larry, When I was there Sunday there was only one bag left. Did you buy the other 2. I picked up a H&R 586 with a 10" barrel in Albany on my way home today. I use the lee dies, and various RCBS, Lyman and Modern Bond moulds to feed all my 32 Mags. Starline brass seems to hold up the best.

I thought about getting all 3 bags but actually didn't get any of them as i have about 700+ Starline cases already and 250+ Federal. No sense being greedy:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson

BLTsandwedge
10-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Crazy Mark, How's the trigger on your 586? Mine is sloppy as (insert adjective) but can be overcome. I'd like to hear about how the 10" bbl shoots- please do keep us posted.

Thanks

crazy mark
10-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Crazy Mark, How's the trigger on your 586? Mine is sloppy as (insert adjective) but can be overcome. I'd like to hear about how the 10" bbl shoots- please do keep us posted.

Thanks

I haven't had time to shoot it yet but the trigger pull feels pretty good. I hope to shoot a few rounds this week-end.

Dale53
10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I have been a .32 fan (both .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag) for many years. I started with a Ruger Single Six but sold it and purchased a S&W Model 631 (4" barrel), and S&W Model 16-4 with 6" barrel (my favorite) and a Ruger SP 101 with 4" barrel.

I shoot more .32 S&W Long cases because my use is target and small game use. I get excellent results with the short cases - YMMV. My pick of the .32 H&R brass is Starline, hands down. As mentioned above the original Federal brass was absolute junk.

One of my favorite bullets is the RCBS 98 gr SWC. I find myself going to the Group Buy 100 gr Keith bullet mould, tho', because of it's six cavity mould.

Another good bullet for target use is the Lee discontinued full wadcutter. I have shot a goodly number of those with excellent results.

This is an excellent small game cartridge in every way. Shoots very well in properly made revolvers, has adequate power for most edible small game and uses a minor amount of powder or lead.

I am not interested in any cartridge that is not reloadable - so casting my own bullets and reloading is part of the equation for me.

Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone not reloading for the pistol and revolver caliber of their choice.

Dale53

JDFuchs
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I have only ever used the lee 311-93-1R in my single six. It shoots well with any powder I've tried.

NoZombies
10-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I fired a few rounds this afternoon from my 16-4..I likeee a lot!..Way nicer handgun for shooting .32 mag from than a Nagant revolver.

If you ever get tired of that 16-4, let me know ;)