PDA

View Full Version : My boy is a pretty good shot!

southpaw
10-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Jaime started shooting with me last year. He started just pulling the trigger with me trying to point the barrel towards the can. It didn't take him long to figure out how to use the scope. He was breaking clay birds at 25 yards in not time. Then he started breaking the pieces so we moved out to 50 yards and that was not much more of a challenge. He was using my cz 452 2e zkm with a 6-24 tasco.

I bought him a cricket for his 4th birthday this year. He likes the looks of the gun but I am afraid that he has fallen in love with the cz. He routinely shoots 1" groups with it at 50 yards.

I wanted to see how he would do shooting my contender rifle in 223. I got a couple moulds from NOE and some gas checks from justingrosche. A really big thank you is in order for these guys. THANK YOU!!!

I loaded the 225107 over 3.5 grains of bullseye. I sighted it in and got a group about 1.5" at 50 yards. Jamie shot some on paper and was hitting right with me so I let him shoot some clay birds of which he had no problem taking the centers out of.

I got one of those life sized cardboard deer targets to see if Jaime was up to the challenge. I showed him on the target were to shoot. His first shot hit about in the middle of the deer in the guts. His second shot missed the target completely. We took a walk to the target and went over were his is to aim. He shot at the deer target 10 more times and about 20 at the clay birds. His shots were in about a 5" group with 8 of them in about a 2.5" group. All in the lungs just above the heart. I was quite pleased to say the least.

I took him out again today to shoot the deer target and some more clays. Once again he did a great job on the deer and destroyed a bunch of clays.

He wants to shoot a real deer this year and I am going to try my best to help him get one. I don't know what the rules are in other states but Pa has a mentor hunt that you can take any youth out hunting. This year they also passed a law that allows the adult to transfer over one doe tag to the youth. The mentored youth can hunt deer, turkey (spring only), squirrel, groudhog and coyote as long as the rules are followed.

This coming Thurday, the 18th, starts the youth hunt and if all goes well I will be signing my doe tag over to him.

I should say that he is an excellent listener. I ask him to do something or tell him not to and that is it. He also won't shoot unless he is right on the target.

I was very impressed that he was able to shoot the deer target as well as he did. I am looking forward to this Thursday.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to brag a little. [smilie=w:

Jerry Jr.

Olevern
10-15-2011, 09:36 PM
That is uber cool. Reminds me of mine when they were little, they each had their own Chipmunk.

smoked turkey
10-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Jerry:
You are doing things the right way. Keep it up and you will have a hunting partner for life. There is something very special about hunting with your kids. You have a right to be proud and to brag a little.

fatnhappy
10-16-2011, 01:48 AM
this has to be the best thread I've read lately.

southpaw
10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the positive words guys. I was a little worried that he wouldn't be ready but he really seems to like shooting and continues to impress me. I hope my daughter takes to shooting like Jamie did.

Jerry Jr.

John Ross
10-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Children's minds are like giant dry sponges. They can and will absorb tremendous amounts of information if we give it to them when they show interest in something. This is especially true the younger they are.

I firmly believe that it is much more common for parents and teachers to let children down by giving them TOO LITTLE to think about and do, rather than too much.

I was lucky that my parents felt this way, and Dad had me using tools at age 3 and power tools (a low-powered electric drill) at age 4. Guns and motor vehicles came soon after. Bravo to you for realizing, as Dad did, that teaching REAL shooting skills with a REAL firearm is a hundred times better than giving your son a cap gun and a red felt cowboy hat for his birthday, as the parents of my grade school classmates did.

BEST thread I've read in weeks!