PDA

View Full Version : Sizing down brass

Ervin
10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Are Lyman/RCBS bullet sizing dies hard enough to reduce annealed brass?
Ervin

cdet69
10-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Annealed brass is softer than regular brass used in cartridges. Both sets of dies have been heat treated and will have no problem resizing brass. Anealing brass is done to make it softer after it has been work hardened. This is the reason why you only do it to the necks and not the rest of the case.

ReloaderFred
10-15-2011, 08:02 PM
The dies would probably handle it, but the machines wouldn't. If you had a way to mount the dies into a compound leverage press, it may work, but don't try to run them through a Lyman or RCBS sizer.

Hope this helps.

Fred

nicholst55
10-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Annealed brass is softer than regular brass used in cartridges. Both sets of dies have been heat treated and will have no problem resizing brass. Anealing brass is done to make it softer after it has been work hardened. This is the reason why you only do it to the necks and not the rest of the case.

The OP is talking about reducing the diameter of the entire piece of annealed brass to use it as a bullet jacket, not simply sizing brass.

At least one member is reducing brass in a series of Lee bullet sizing dies on a standard reloading press. He had to make longer punches to push the brass clear through the dies, but it is certainly possible.

cdet69
10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I guess I should look at posts more carefully. I know I would not use any of my Lee bullet sizing dies for anything but lead. This is because if I did not square up the die in my press before using I notices some wear on the stem that pushes the bullet through the die. I have no idea how RCBS or Lyman dies would stand up to swaging jackets.

Ervin
10-15-2011, 10:01 PM
That's what I had in mind. Once I get them down to .360 I can reduce it by .001 down to .354. I knew I would have to anneale the brass after work hardening. I assume that Lee push through dies are also hardened. Any one who know it's not please post. Thanks for the replies. Ervin

cdet69
10-16-2011, 03:21 PM
I know my Lee push through dies wear pretty easy just form sizing lead bullets. You can see where the steel on steel is showing wear just from the push stem touching the sizing die. You should be able to get away using brass though.

Ervin
10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks. I have been using 223R for 40mm. The reason I started this thread was to explore using 223R for .357 jackets. I should have made that clear when I posted. I just assumed you'al could read my mind. Thanks again. Ervin