PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms Double

peter nap
10-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Gunshow today and I went looking for deals. There weren't any to get excited about.

I started to buy a half stock that was nice, beautiful wood and probably 1890ish but it had been worked over...very professionally but still obvious. No maker name or marks and the barrel had been freshed out to .42.

No half cock which shows up a lot in old guns and the price was good for a shooter. $675.00. He also had a Blunderbuss that had been converted from flint. He wanted $950.00 for that.

I couldn't move him on price but then he got greedy and said cash only, no cards because he was at cost.

I couldn't get that much cash on a Saturday afternoon so I killed the deal. Then he backed off and said he'd take my debit card. I was mad by then and told him to keep them.

Then I looked at a Jager, .62 caliber smoothbore and it was nice but he wanted $1500.00 which was too high and it had been converted from flint.

Looked at a couple of English 14bores which were in good shooting shape but no markings again. for a thousand dollars I'd at least like to know the maker. There were probably some under the barrel but the dealer didn't want to pull it out of the stock. That set up a few red flags...so I passed them too.

On the way out I spotted a Navy Arms Double 12. I wanted a shooter and am not particularly proud, so I looked at it. It had never been fired.

The fellow wanted $475.00 but I offered $200.00 figuring we'd settle about $350.00.

Darned if he didn't take it....so I'm the proud owner of a like like new Navy Arms Double.
Time to cut some wads!

waksupi
10-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Good deal! Wish I could find one for that price!

missionary5155
10-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Good morning
Super deal ! Nothing ventured, nothing gained ! Just never know when you come across someone tired of lugging an item to the shows. If the walls are on the thick side you can look at loading some RB in that gun. Makes a dandy up close thumper.
Navy Arms are usually straight forward good service weapons. Still have a Navy Zouave I got back in 89. Accounted for a bunch of deer in Illinois river bottoms.
Mike in Peru

Ajax
10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Why can't I run across deals like that. You got a steal on that double. Hope it gives you many years of good service.

Andy

10-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Congrats, that is an excellent deal! I know NA made (marketed) two models of that shotgun- regular and magnum. I do not know how to tell the difference- maybe if the the models are compared side by side? They are well made guns- I have one of the "mag" 12 ga models. Likely cylinder bored so may take some work for best patterns. Back when I hunted a lot it accounted for quite a few ducks, geese, pheasants and turkey.