PDA

View Full Version : Emmert's Lube ???

Moondawg
10-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Have any of you actually used Emmert's Lube? If so, would you recommend it, and with or without added lanoline? I am thinking of possibly making some for a 45-70 and 38-55 black powder loads. Currently I am using SPG , but it seems awfully expensive. The 45-70 boolits hold lots of lube.

fryboy
10-15-2011, 02:07 PM
with lanolin !! it works ok for smokeless plinking loads too and is a easy lube for folks to learn ummm pan lubing with , one of the recipes in the recipe thread had a concoction that made something that was close to SPG , (page two i think ? )

Kraschenbirn
10-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Been using Emmert's with both black and smokeless in my BP cartridge guns (two 45-70s and a 38-55) for several years. With black, it does as good, or better, as anything I've ever tried...keeps the fouling sufficiently soft that a damp patch every five shots, or so, clears the bore nicely. Shooting smokeless, it's not unusual for me to fire 50-75 rounds with no cleaning beyond an a dry patch or two between strings to clear out unburned powder granules. No leading with either propellant.

I make my Emmert's up by the quart and store in the shop refrigerator in small plastic butter tubs...seems to keep forever that way.

Bill

Btw: +1 on adding a bit of lanolin to the basic recipe.

hiram
10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
I make and use Emmert's. It's fine. no problems in 45-70, bp. I started without lanolin and now I use lanolin. I pan lube.

Hip's Ax
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
My friend and I use nothing else for a few or more years now. 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% jojoba oil and 5% lanolin. We shoot it both in 45-70 for mid range and 45-90 for long range black powder cartridge target. We wipe the bore every shot with moose milk. It even works at Raton. We have no plans to try anything else.

daschnoz
10-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I run Emmert's in my 50 cal flint lock for patched round ball and R.E.A.L. boolits. It's a good performer for both applications. I have yet to use it for any smokeless cartridge loads, but I can't imagine they would be any different. The only difference is the players in the chemical reaction that is creating the pressure behind the boolit.

It's easy to make and stores well. If you find the 50/40/10 (beeswax/crisco/canola oil) ratio to be a bit hard for your liking, go 45/45/10. That is what I actually use. Less wax will make it softer, more wax will make it harder. You will find that there are folks here who adjust their lube mix based on the season - more wax for warmer months, less wax for cold months.

Sneakfoot
10-22-2011, 10:57 AM
My friend and I use nothing else for a few or more years now. 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% jojoba oil and 5% lanolin. We shoot it both in 45-70 for mid range and 45-90 for long range black powder cartridge target. We wipe the bore every shot with moose milk. It even works at Raton. We have no plans to try anything else.

Ok what's moose milk?

fryboy
10-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Ok what's moose milk?

bore cleaner

http://www.epmuzzleloaders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176

Hip's Ax
10-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Ok what's moose milk?

Any number of combinations of water soluble oil and water. We use 10:1 Tru Sol machinists cutting oil and water. 10 parts water to 1 part oil, for Raton my shooting buddy uses a higher ratio of oil.

Green Frog
10-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I made a fair sized batch (with lanolin) so long ago, I'd have to look up the exact ratios (or ask Dale53 who turned me on to it and taught me to pan lube with it.) I use it with excellent results for my Maynards (both self contained cartridges and percussion) and my BPC .45-70, along with about anything else that I don't have sizing dies for but can find a bullet that drops out of the mould to the proper size. I keep planning to make up a bunch of sticks for one of my Lyman/Ideal Lubri-sizers, but can't get a round tuit. :oops:

Froggie

Dale53
10-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Froggie!
I keep one of my lube/sizers full of Emmert's w/lanolin (50-40-5-5).

I quit making up sticks for my sizers when Spences' book, Loading for the Trapdoor Springfield, turned me on to using a coffee cup warmer to melt lube. I always top off my sizer when I quit sizing bullets. I keep a metal cup of Emmert's on the coffee warmer and turn it on when I begin sizing. It melts slowly, but surely, and is ready to pour into the sizer when needed. The temperature is so low that you can leave it on all day without degrading the lube. The lube solidifies quickly so there is no pro-longed waiting and I don't have to fool with trying to make lube sticks. MUCH better solution to the problem, in my view.

When working with the soft, large bullets, for the 40/65 and 45/70 as well as 45/90, I prefer to pan lube in 9" cake pans. Then, if the bullets need sizing run them through a Lee Sizing set up on my press. The long soft bullets are easily damaged by trying to run through a normal luber/sizer (can actually bend the bullets reducing accuracy). The nose first sizer with the Lee system doesn't have that problem.

However, for black powder cartridge revolvers, I size the pistol bullets and lube with Emmert's. A 30/1 lead/tin bullet works extremely well with black. I use the Lyman 452664 Cowboy Bullet in my .45 Colt (Ruger Bisley Vaquero) and can get 70-75 accurate shots before having to clean (the cylinder starts binding). This has proved to be a winning combination in both silhouette and score matches.

Dale53

hydraulic
10-25-2011, 09:58 PM
I use Emmets for everything, black or smokeless. I melt the stuff on the wood stove or in the microwave and pour it into my Lyman 45. I change sizing dies when I load different calibres, mostly .45-70 whith black and .30's in .30-30 & .30-06. I use the same size die for .40 S&W with smokeless, and .38-40 with black. I have never had a leading problem, except I do get a few particles in my .45-70. Nothing serious, but if I shoot a whole match in hot weather, such as Quigley or Alliance, there will be a few flakes of lead show up on the cleaning patch. The problem I have is I always forget whether it's 40% canonla and 10% crisco or the other way around. I suppose I have mixed them up, but it doesn't seem to matter.

JSnover
10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Never tried it with lanolin. I've used it in my 45-70 with black and smokeless, no problems. It's easy to make and it smells great.