PDA

View Full Version : bear claw what did you start here ?

boommer
02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
YOU GO FROM A LITTLE HELP HERE!! AND IT TURNS INTO A WHEEL WEIGHT WAR!!!
Poor ol"e 6pt-sika think he might be wanting to shooting those jackattack ones!
NOW I will possibly start a war here but this is my two cents the bhn on w/w will
never be the same they come from ALL OVER THE WORLD I find it hard to believe
that there is any standard mix because if you can save .0002 cents x1 K- zillion
they will. I have never got test to be consistent on w/w and IF you got w/w lead
and thats all you got SHOOT IT!!! SOMETIMES in shooting world you have to find
your own path to your TARGET! and most of all use your common sense....

6pt-sika
02-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Look I don't care about shooting silhouette with the Sharps other then for fun .

I DO NOT want to get involved in registered competition . Been down that road with skeet and trap . I am not a nice person when I start getting competitive .

So as far as the WW vs. Pure Alloy is concerned I think for my purposes it will not be that crucial .

So with that said I still want a 50-90 .

But..................... I wanna be able to shoot the old Lyman/Ideal #512139HP as well as the present 515 grain Lyman bullet .
But some other friends are telling me I won't be able to get adequate results from both in the same rifle .
Granted there is about a 200 grain difference in the bullets .

Bear Claw
02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi

Well I didnt want a war and I am still not mad at anyone, ( Remember I asked for the advice/opinion's ) But I will glean the wheat from the chaf and use what works best for me.

I have had some damn good advice here from EVERYONE, and I realy do read all the post's and consider them carefully..

It's too bad that it is hard to convay feeling's & attitude's in type, I have tried not to offend anyone, I respect everyone's choice & opinion and hope to get the same in return, if not ...well so be it.

I do not know if I have upset anyone or not but I think montana charlie is a little put-out at me, and I think we both didn't say clearly what was on our minds,
And I will admit I was a little put-out at how he said some of what he said, Now I don't know if it is just how I am reading him or what but he has bumped up on some others here as well, If he likes controversy thats fine but I don't need to get in a P***N match, And as of now I have NO heartburn with him or anyone else on this board.

As for anyone's choice in guns/cal's It's a free country get whatever ya want and have a blast I sure wont shout ya down.

P.S. when I learn a lot more I might want one o them BIG 50's myself:drinks:

Keep the advice comming Bear Claw

boommer
02-08-2007, 01:55 AM
6PT-SIKA IT really won't wont make a rats butt as far as w/w goes the pureist might
but your not shooting comp so you don't need that perfect mix. as far as a 330 GR
pill out of a 50 cal I NOT SURE how that will work when you get into big slugs and
I talk who's making that rifle see what they say. because I think you might be asking
to much. maybe out to 100 YARDS..

Boz330
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=6pt-sika;146418]Look I don't care about shooting silhouette with the Sharps other then for fun .

I DO NOT want to get involved in registered competition . Been down that road with skeet and trap . I am not a nice person when I start getting competitive .

6 PT, I'm with you there, I started getting half way descent at IPSC years ago and spent my time being pi$$ed at myself when I screwed and wasn't having fun. We all shoot to have fun and if competition is fun for you then go for it. I am way past the point of being serious about competition, the only 2 people that I want to better is myself and my shooting buddy who is really good. I don't beat him often but I sure rub it in when I do:mrgreen: Kinda make life worth living.:drinks:
I bought my first BPCR to hunt deer with because I thought it would be a nice challenge. Then I tried BPCRS and enjoyed it so started that FOR FUN. Just something about hearing that clang.

Bob

NickSS
02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I use a 350 gr slug in a 50-70 all the time I also use the same slug in a Smith percussion carbine from the Civil War. They work fine out to 100 yards and in my 1866 trapdoor Springfield I get some groups as small as three inches for 10 shots off a bench at 100 yards. As that is as good as I can see this is fine with me.

Rambunctious
02-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Bear Claw,

You're right when you said:

"it's too bad that it is hard to convay feeling's & attitude's in type, I have tried not to offend anyone, I respect everyone's choice & opinion and hope to get the same in return, if not ...well so be it."

I've been misinterpreted, misconstrued and mistreated all because of being misread! But it's just because no one can hear the tone of your voice or see that your tongue is in your cheek when they read an email and sometimes innocent humor gets taken seriously. That said, I'm as guilty as the rest and sometimes get a bit upset by a post directed at me, but I do try to remind myself about the impersonal nature of this kind of communication and to just get over it. Looks like you realize that also.

I've read and enjoyed the posts by montana_charlie in this forum and others and I am always glad to get his input on whatever subject he cares to participate in. I took the time to read and re-read the post by him in "Learning Curve" and it sure looks to me like he was honestly trying to help and just got "misconstrued" a bit.

Looking forward to shooting with both you!

montana_charlie
02-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Rambunctious,
That post was waaay too complimentary.
Living in Great Falls (I see) and being your first post here, I won't be surprised if some think I hired you to say it.

Compliments aside, have we communicated before?
I have occasionally been in touch (virtual touch) with a couple of guys in this general vicinity, but I can't remember if you are one of them. Your username seems familiar, so there's a chance we 'talked' on another site...but I have trouble keeping track of those.

While writing this, I was reminded that MTJerry wants to get together...so I just sent him a PM. I will be at Silent Knight Mufflers at 2 pm tomorrow if you have time to look in.
Jerry might be there, too.

Look for a brown Resistol and grey sideburns...
CM

Added later...
I found you (Rick) Rambunctious! That Google is really somethin'.
Typed in your username and the word 'Sharps'...and came up with a post of yours on the Shiloh forum. Checked my PM inbox on that site, and found your last message to me.
How 'bout that...!

From what you said back then, if I needed advice on casting bullets...I should be talking to your wife!
CM

Rambunctious
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Montana Charlie, Don't be lettin' the guys know that my wife likes to cast bullets or some smooth talker will take her away for sure! Then I'll have to start doin' all that for myself... I couldn't live like that.

I'm on call tomorrow but there's a good chance I can make it to the muffler shop. I'll be wearing a olive green ranch coat and a brown baseball cap and have a long sided salt and pepper mustache.

We have some other shooters here that are a nice bunch to get to know also.
Hope to see you there.

Rick

44man
02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Oh, don't get bent out of shape over anything! I get read wrong a lot because I can't express myself just so. Some think I run down things when I am not trying to. We are all different and think different and write different. Some don't read every word and interpret things different. I never get angry and it is awful hard to come back and explain what I really meant.
We have to be happy with plain talk and read between the lines. Some of us are too darned old and cantankerous.
Can't we just all get along?

EDK
02-13-2007, 10:51 PM
I played with the Lyman 515142 in my 50/90 SHILOH Long Range Express for awhile, but not much of a lube star. I went to a 620+ Brooks and have really liked it. The 34 inch barrel needs a lot of lube--SPG, DGL or LARS' BP all work well.

When you say SHARPS, I think BIG 50!

:castmine: