PDA

View Full Version : Plated bullets for 'break in'

wtfooptimax200
10-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I am thinking of buying some Rainer Lead Safe bullets to break in a new revolver barrel (to smooth out the barrel before shooting cast). Will these perform the job as well as jacketed bullets would, or is the plated finish softer than the jacketed bullets?

bobthenailer
10-15-2011, 04:48 PM
use jacketed bullets ! the rainer bullets are swadged lead with a very thin plating of copper and probley softer than cast bullets made with WW metal .

uscra112
10-15-2011, 07:06 PM
My direct observation of some "no-name" plated bullets I bought years ago is that the plating is not gilding metal, but rather straight copper. I recently filed the plating off the tip of one and tested the core hardness. It is very close to pure lead. If yours are like mine, I would not use them for break-in. The "jacket" is too soft and will foul a new barrel like crazy.

Old Caster
10-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I have a lot of pistols that have never had a jacketed bullet through them in their lifetime and have had no problems with any of them.

crabo
10-16-2011, 12:20 AM
There is also no cannelure and you would need to taper crimp.

gray wolf
10-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Unless my barrel was so bad that I could see trouble by just looking through it
I would shoot lead. You could also use a very, ( as in VERY )
Mild polishing agent. J B- bore paste, or J -B bore shine comes to mind.
I have even used a little brasso on a mop or patch covered brush.

( do not leave the brasso in the barrel ) it has Ammonia in it. Clean the barrel after word as you would with any product that say's do not leave in barrel for more than 15 minutes.
I would not be to aggressive unless I was after a specific problem.
If the barrel was really bad I would consider fire lapping.
That said for a new barrel I would let the barrel tell me what it needed or what problems it may be having. Shoot ten or so lead bullets of the proper size and check the barrel, if you have a little leading use a small piece of Chore boy pad on an old brush and clean it ( very quick and very efficient way to remove lead )
If the problem is very bad after 20 or 30 rounds go to step one.
I would not spend the $40.00 on a couple of hundred J-bullets.
Just saying + it's only my opinion.
EDIT TO SAY
A few house hold chemicals mixed in the proper proportions should do the job.
Now you have all of my pertinent information.
Or at least how Burt Gummer would do it.