PDA

View Full Version : b/p lube

adrians
10-15-2011, 09:26 AM
going to make some emmits lube for pan lubing.
is this a good start ?, do some dissagree with me and have a differant solution?
just curious ( it,s my first time and you know your first is always a nerve racking experience,,[smilie=l:.)
have a great weekend.
adrian.

bigted
10-15-2011, 10:56 AM
there are several recipes but mine is borrowed from others and consists of these components;:;

1 cup bee wax
1 cup crisco vegi shortning
1/4 cup peanut oil

warm these together till they are melted completely and mix well...place boolits in a flat bottomed container and pour your lube...[which ever black powder lube you choose]... till it covers the grooves in the boolit completely...allow to set up and solidifie then take a shot shell case and use it as a' cookie cutter' to remove your boolits from the lube cake.

now you have greesers that are lubed and ready for loading or sizing if you wish then loading.

adrians
10-15-2011, 02:12 PM
thanks bigted ,
i have all the stuff needed(my wife makes candles and has lots of cakes of beeswax, i'll steal a couple of slabs she'll never know.)
so pan lubing here i come.:evil:[smilie=w::twisted:

TXGunNut
10-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not very adventurous in this area, I use SPG in my sizer and I understand it works for pan lubing as well. SPG is a known good product and I'm trying to work out so many variables in other areas that I'm sticking with it for now.

44-40
10-20-2011, 01:23 PM
There are dozens of recipes out there and just as many people will swear by them. I use one that came out in the Feb. 1943 issue of American Rifleman. I pour the lube after it is melted and stirred into molds so I can use it in my Lyman 405 sizer/Lube press. It is a lot like the ALOX Lube, sticks to the grooves, fingers and brass cases (messy but works fine). I use this lube now for all my relaoding, BP and smokless. When shooting BP I usually clean the bore with Ballistol after 5 shots. If trying for real accuracy after every shot. Recipe is:

1 part- paraffin (Giant eagle)
1 part - Mutton tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
1/2 part - pure bees wax (brother raises bees)

Springfield
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
For using in a sizer this works well with little to no heat.
10 parts beeswax
2 parts paraffin
2 parts 2-stroke oil
Doesn't stick to your fingers and yet sticks in the lube grooves will.

cajun shooter
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
44-40, I use a similar product that I make with those ingrediants plus some pure lanolin and jojoba oil. Later David

Hip's Ax
10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
For using in a sizer this works well with little to no heat.
10 parts beeswax
2 parts paraffin
2 parts 2-stroke oil
Doesn't stick to your fingers and yet sticks in the lube grooves will.

For black powder??

John Boy
10-21-2011, 10:09 PM
1 part- paraffin (Giant eagle)
1 part - Mutton tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
1/2 part - pure bees wax (brother raises bees)
44-40, a bet - dollar to donuts - that the lube peels out of the grooves. Decrease the paraffin to 1/2 and increase the beeswax to 1, plus might want to add some jojoba or meadow foam

How do I know it will peel? I used to lube using a 40 : 40 : 20 percent mix of mutton : paraffin : beeswax. The lube peeled out in too many of the grooves especially with bullets stored in a colder temperature. The ratio now is 20:40:40 with a 1/4oz of jojoba

Springfield
10-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Hip's Ax: I have a small bullet company that sells only Big Lube type BP bullets. Been using this formula for the last 3 years and nobody has ever complained about the lube. If you meant the paraffin being a petroleum product, it works great anyway. I'm no chemist but I have been told that paraffin is "micro refined" what ever that is, so it doesn't gum up like some other products supossedly do. It works great through my Star sizer, loads well in my Dillon progressive without making a big mess, ships well without falling out of the lube groove. Not saying it is the worlds greatest BPCR lube, never do anything longer than 200 yards myself, but for an all around BP lube it works pretty well. And the components are easy to find and it is super easy to make, no tricks to it. It is ALMOST as nice as NASA lube, but supplies of that can be spotty, which sucks when you run a business and you need it NOW.

Hip's Ax
10-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Springfield, I was concerned about the 2 stroke oil not the paraffin. May I assume you are using 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil?

cajun shooter
10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Hey Springfield, Dan and others spent months trying to convince people on this forum and others how good NASA worked. I spent a few dollars sending out samples of my last 5 lbs. Now I have about 30 6 inch sticks for my Star and I will be going back to my Mutton lube with Jojoba oil. I hope that Dan is able to work through his issues before too long.

44-40
10-22-2011, 12:02 PM
44-40, a bet - dollar to donuts - that the lube peels out of the grooves. Decrease the paraffin to 1/2 and increase the beeswax to 1, plus might want to add some jojoba or meadow foam

How do I know it will peel? I used to lube using a 40 : 40 : 20 percent mix of mutton : paraffin : beeswax. The lube peeled out in too many of the grooves especially with bullets stored in a colder temperature. The ratio now is 20:40:40 with a 1/4oz of jojoba

John Boy - thanks for the info. I may try that the next time I mix up a batch but for now I have two sticks cast and in the refridgerator and have not had a problem with it peeling out. It seems to work well with both my Goex and Unique loads for 44-40 & 45-70. It can't peel out once it is in the cartridge case.

I thank you for the information!

Springfield
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Sorry about the paraffin assumption. No, actually I have been using regular 2-stroke oil. When I run out I will try some synthetic and see if it makes any difference. Shooting cowboy loads with large lube grooved bullets make things easy, not too stress on things.

JSnover
10-25-2011, 10:29 PM
If you meant the paraffin being a petroleum product, it works great anyway. I'm no chemist but I have been told that paraffin is "micro refined" what ever that is, ...

I dunno. Someone explained the difference between parrafin and bees wax a while ago and it was pretty interesting. My impresson (based on my failing memory) is that bees wax may be a better choice for BP, while paraffin is generally better for smokeless... but there no absolutes. Depending on the other ingredients, you could probably use either.

Springfield
10-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I find the paraffin gives the beeswax more body and helps it hold together. Otherwise it tends to be a bit brittle and doesn't stay in the lube grooves as well, especially when shipped.

bigted
10-26-2011, 07:51 AM
I find the paraffin gives the beeswax more body and helps it hold together. Otherwise it tends to be a bit brittle and doesn't stay in the lube grooves as well, especially when shipped.

peanut oil will take the brittle off it.