PDA

View Full Version : Old Casting books & Reprints Website :-)

Swageocast
10-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Hey everybody FYI

Just found this website www.cornellpubs.com and it has a few old but interesting books or reprints i suppose ,,,several which have to do with casting ,,,,Like a 1958 Lymans manual. :-)

Dan Cash
10-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Hey everybody FYI

Just found this website www.cornellpubs.com and it has a few old but interesting books or reprints i suspose ,,,several which have to do with casting ,,,,Like a 1958 Lymans manual. :-)

I wish you guys would stop refering to things from the 50s as "old." Old is from before WWII or perhaps WWI, That 50s stuff is contemporary. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

casterofboolits
10-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I wish you guys would stop refering to things from the 50s as "old." Old is from before WWII or perhaps WWI, That 50s stuff is contemporary. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark! :groner:

Guesser
10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
I have the same problem with the gross misuse of the term, the way it is used in the opening of this thread is offensive, personally hurtful and leads me to distrust the motives of opening a thread in the manner shown. A government funded, required attendance, cultural awareness class is called for. To be directed by a government appointee, congressional approval and oversight not needed or allowed for the application and management of the classes and the violators required by regulation to attend.

Let's make it simple and call it "reeducation". OLD is before I was born!!! Now that we have that straight; 1958 is not OLD!!!!!!!

btroj
10-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Nope. The 50s era stuff is old. Darn near ancient. Even the 60s era stuff is old. Get into the 70s and we are almost "current".
Maybe my being born in the late 60s has an effect on my views?

Old as it is there is some interesting reading in the old manuals. Definitely shows how cast bullets have changed and how much better equipped we are to measure velocity rather than "estimate" it.

missionary5155
10-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Good morning btroj
I hope I am around when you roll over 60.. Sure would like to hear your perspective vote then.
But it all is just a frame of mind & getting the body to apreciate that frame of mind.
But I like them "old" books... all sorts of good thoughts and ways of doing things. Forget history and guess who is gonna have to repeat the lost leasons.
Mike in Peru

Chicken Thief
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
So a 10year computer is not old?
And a 25year old cell phone is'nt either?
Or a 50year old car?

It all depends on the speed of evolution in a given branch of thechnologyhttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/2c.gif

PS since the avdent of smokeless was no more than 120 years ago then i would say that a 50 year old reloading manual is old, but that's just me!

10-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Perhaps "older" would be a better adjetive.

Guesser
10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
It's all relative and I have some that are approaching old. My aunt and uncle are getting close at 94 and 91 respectively, respectfully; that is approaching old. The 39 Chevrolet pickup my Grand father drove was the new one, I remember the 34 Ford truck he drove. Like I said some relatives are old and some are not and they are very close in age. It's all relative. 10 yo computer, not really, the abacus(sp?) is a type of computer and it is approaching old age, I have witnessed it in daily use in several countries around the world. Does that compute?

shooter93
10-15-2011, 08:37 PM
My first loading manual has a chapter titled.....Goliath slayers, when choosing rocks for your slingshot. The 50's can hardly be called old.

btroj
10-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Good morning btroj
I hope I am around when you roll over 60.. Sure would like to hear your perspective vote then.
But it all is just a frame of mind & getting the body to apreciate that frame of mind.
But I like them "old" books... all sorts of good thoughts and ways of doing things. Forget history and guess who is gonna have to repeat the lost leasons.
Mike in Peru

Purely being sarcastic. It is old however. Anything 50 plus years old is old. Trust me, at 45 I feel old some days.
I meant no disrespect at all.

The old books do make for interesting reading. The data is just odd with so many powders no longer being made. I do wonder how much of the data was actually pressure tested and how much was an educated guess.

Bret4207
10-16-2011, 09:21 AM
It's all relative. I'm still re-reading books from the era when smokeless was just coming on the market and repeating rifles were "new fangled" and still drawing very useful information from them. Of course I'm still using powder and primers from the mid 1970's too, so "old' is simply relative.

Swageocast
10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
OK Everybody,,, POINT TAKEN :-)

But as far as I am concerned any loading Data older than say 20 years I think is prolly
somewhat outdated, and may need refreshing!

This mainly due to the fact that several Powders that were available say 20 years ago are no longer manufactured.

Data on casting that is 20 years and older is Nostalgic,,, and Classic,, and properly aged. :-)

ANYWAY the Website is still a good place to get that Nostalgic GIFT for or FROM someone WITHOUT the hassel of messing with EBAY!!!!!!

Thats my story and thats it. :-}

John Boy
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/default.html

Guesser
10-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes and the 30 W.C.F. is still a high velocity, small bore cartridge, thanks to that newfangled "smokeless" powder!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Smith
10-17-2011, 08:24 AM

But as far as I am concerned any loading Data older than say 20 years I think is prolly
somewhat outdated, and may need refreshing!

This mainly due to the fact that several Powders that were available say 20 years ago are no longer manufactured.

Data on casting that is 20 years and older is Nostalgic,,, and Classic,, and properly aged. :-)

ANYWAY the Website is still a good place to get that Nostalgic GIFT for or FROM someone WITHOUT the hassel of messing with EBAY!!!!!!

Thats my story and thats it. :-}

Unless you are loading 44-40, 25-20, 32-20, 30-30, 401Win, 41LC, and the list could go on and on. Some of us cast because that is the original boolit for the cartridge. Some load because ammo is questionably available. That old data may be the most up to date available for some cartridges.

Bret4207
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM

:-}

Get a copy of JR Matterns Handloading Ammunition and I think you'll find 99% of his casting info is spot on and very useful. Old doesn't mean outdated.

Char-Gar
10-18-2011, 01:07 PM
"Out of print" would have been better than old or older. Anything has to be at least 20 years older than I am to qualify for the term "old".