PDA

View Full Version : sw 686 best optic 100 yd steel plate

sixpointfive
10-14-2011, 11:05 PM
What is the best optic to put on my686 8 inch for 100 us metal plate?

crabo
10-15-2011, 01:10 AM
I like the UltraDot 4. I like being able to use the different size dots. Larger dots for hunting in thick stuff and smaller dots for targets at longer ranges.

You can also use the larger dots to hold over at long range. You simply set the bottom of the dot at 12:00 on the target and it drops them in.

I shoot my 44 mag with the red dot at a 12" steel plate at 150 yards and have no problem consistently ringing it while sitting in a lawn chair.

44man
10-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I like the UltraDot 4. I like being able to use the different size dots. Larger dots for hunting in thick stuff and smaller dots for targets at longer ranges.

You can also use the larger dots to hold over at long range. You simply set the bottom of the dot at 12:00 on the target and it drops them in.

I shoot my 44 mag with the red dot at a 12" steel plate at 150 yards and have no problem consistently ringing it while sitting in a lawn chair.
It is all I use on my revolvers and I can actually shoot smaller groups at all ranges with the Ultra Dots. I just put my new one on my BFR .500 JRH and will sight it in today. It finally quit raining.
That dot is the ultimate hunting thing too.

subsonic
10-15-2011, 10:13 AM
The new ultra dot 6 looks neat with the micrometer elevation adjustment. Time will tell if it is repeatable and useful and will take the recoil. It doesn't say whether or not you can reset the zero mark. If it does these things well, I'll need one.

44man
10-15-2011, 10:17 AM
The new ultra dot 6 looks neat with the micrometer elevation adjustment. Time will tell if it is repeatable and useful and will take the recoil. It doesn't say whether or not you can reset the zero mark. If it does these things well, I'll need one.
I have one here and it looks impressive. Time and recoil will tell. It goes to a 1 minute dot.

subsonic
10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
The website says 2,4,6,8moa. But they are brand new. It says 2 reticles and shows 3. Maybe they aren't even sure what they have.

subsonic
10-15-2011, 10:32 AM
The matchdot 2 actually looks like a better choice being $10 cheaper and having a 30mmobjective but otherwise the same. Why do you need a 37mm objective on a 1x optic?

subsonic
10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Actually, I'd just be happy to have the micrometer elevation dial on my existing Ulta-Dot...

Frank
10-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Different weight bullets significantly affect POI. Even a half grain charge can be big. That's trouble with the standard adjustment turret.

bobthenailer
10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
a red dot or a 1 or 2x pistol scope with crosshairs with a center dot reticule , such as a tasco pro class , at one time burris made a BE scope for Gil Hebbard guns or a leupold 2x with the reticule changed to a dot reticule , either leupold or burris will do the reticule change .
I have at least one example of each and can highly recomend them as i shot for years in a 100 yard 6"x10" steel plates matches, off hand I was the first one to ever get 25x25 at one hundred yards , it has only been done 1 other time that i know of he was useing the taco hold with a 22 hornet and a rifle scope , i did it about 10 years ago with a 30/20 with cast bullets shooting off hand with a 2x leupold . changed by the now gone Premier Reticule , he now works for leupold!
for the 6"x10" targets at 100 yards i found that the 6min dot worked the best for me
for a side target we would shoot at 5" round plates at 100 yards i would average about 50% hits ! my longest run was 7 in a row then you may miss the next 7
Yes the dot was larger than the target if i couldent see it press on the trigger ! its amazing that it worked so well for me cant see it but I can hit it, sometimes.

MtGun44
10-15-2011, 09:16 PM
LOL! As if there was one right answer!

Here is my opinion and experience -

I like a crosshair scope a lot more than a red dot, but for quick shooting, especially 50 yds,
I find the red dots good. For my eyes, I drop a lot of accuracy past 100 and are slightly
worse than a crosshair scope at 100 yds. YMMV!

Bill

44man
10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
The matchdot 2 actually looks like a better choice being $10 cheaper and having a 30mmobjective but otherwise the same. Why do you need a 37mm objective on a 1x optic?
Actually, every Match dot I have seen starts with a 4" dot. I see no use for larger dots except for steel shooting and speed.
I just looked at the 6 and see it says 2" to 8" dots and it has 2 reticles, dot in circle, dot in circle with cross hairs. You have a choice between 4 dots and the 2 circles.
The tube is 30mm with a larger objective bell.
Using the smallest dot at 50 yards, it seems smaller then 2". I think it covers less then 1" at 50.
I really like it. I think the larger objective will add a few minutes of hunting time.

sixpointfive
10-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Is there a Match dot 6? Also what rings do I ise for my 686 that has the factory scallops milled into the top rib?

sixpointfive
10-16-2011, 01:51 PM
What scope ring height for my 686, it has the scallops milled into the top rib. SO I am wondering which type and what height? Thanks all

sixpointfive
10-16-2011, 01:54 PM
So what is better he match dot or ultra dot?

jblee10
10-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I have an Aimpoint Microdot on my 686. It happens to be the R1 silver model. I also have a Ultradot 30 on a Ruger Redhawk. I prefer the Ultradot. It has a clearer rounder dot, clearer glass and a great reputation for toughness. And alot less expensive too. The Aimpoint glass is clear but it has a slight tint that changes the target color slightly. I think the only advantage the Aimpoint may have is battery life. But I haven't replace the battery on my Ultradot yet either. I do like the idea on the turrents on the new Ultradot 6. Don't get to sold on the idea of a small dot. A four MOA dot on a handgun is plenty small.

crabo
10-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I like the UltraDot 4. The smallest dot works well for precise, and the bigger dots are easy to find when you need quick close shots. I don't like dots smaller than 4 or 5, but then I am not shooting bullseye.

Whiterabbit
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
OK, you guys have me sold on the ultradot 4 (I like the 6 better, but no all-silver option). But there are two choices, 25 and 30mm tubes. Is the larger tube worth the extra bulk (size, not weight)? What are the theoretical advantages, and do they actually pan out in the real world?

I'd also like to know if any of the models have dot-in-circle in an all silver body. Google is coming up blank for me on that one. my biggest issue at the range was always trying to find the darn dot.

sixpointfive
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
ok, so what is better for 100 yard steel plates? match dot , match dot 2 or ultra dot?

crabo
10-16-2011, 08:17 PM
30mm tube is the way to go.

Whiterabbit
10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Thank you Crabo. At only $20 more, that's an easy decision.

If you don't mind my asking, why? It may sound like a stupid question, but like I said above, I'm really curious if the "reasons on paper" really translate to real world real application benefits. (at least for target plinking and hunting)

subsonic
10-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I really like it. I think the larger objective will add a few minutes of hunting time.

If you still have the UD6, put it next to another 30mm UD as the sun is going down and see if there is any difference. My money is on there not being any gain with the 37mm obj because the 30mm is already givin your eye all the light availabe at 1x.

But it does look cool on a rifle.

subsonic
10-16-2011, 09:37 PM
The 30mm gives you a wider field of view in this application (but not all aplications). A 30mm tube is stronger. The 30mm tube gives the rings a better bite. There is more room for adjustment inside a 30mm tube, so the dials usually have more travel on a 30mm, which allows for more elevation travel if you need it.

jameslovesjammie
10-16-2011, 11:25 PM
You'll like having an optic on your long barrel 686. Mine is a 686-5 with an old Tasco PDP3. I have it off now and running it with irons again. If Jpoint made a smaller dot, I would like to give them a try.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/P1000987.jpg

crabo
10-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Thank you Crabo. At only $20 more, that's an easy decision.

If you don't mind my asking, why? It may sound like a stupid question, but like I said above, I'm really curious if the "reasons on paper" really translate to real world real application benefits. (at least for target plinking and hunting)

I like the larger field of view, particularly if I am wanting to get on target quickly.

Whiterabbit
10-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Doesn't a larger field of view mean it's harder to find the dot?

bobthenailer
10-17-2011, 06:59 AM
IMO Since at least the fixed dot size ultradots have a smaller field of view than most 30 mm red dot sights i would go with the 30mm tube ultra dot . as far as variable dot size models check for the tracking/ point of impact shifting when changing dot sizes not as critical at 25 yards but beyond that do some range testing to see if bullet impact changes. ive have or had at least 10 red dot scopes with selectable dot sizes and some are better than others when changing the dot size,
If you pick your favorite dot size and sight in and dont change the dot size you may be ok ?
for precesion shooting at longer distances i would go with a fixed dot size for durablity & no tracking issues & something else less to go wrong .
Dont get me wrong i love red dot sights and have about 25 of them but for me at least the pistol scope with a dot reticule worked better at that game! if the targets are painted black i would probley go with the red dot sight.

crabo
10-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Doesn't a larger field of view mean it's harder to find the dot?

For me, finding the dot is a matter of locking up your wrist as you pull up the gun. Pistol shooting is like shooting a rifle with a scope. You look at the target and raise the scope into your line of sight.

My favorite pistol scope for this game is no longer available. I have a Tasco World Class 2x, 30mm tube, with a dot and tapered reticle bars.

You don't see them anymore. I have mine mounted on my High Standard.

44man
10-17-2011, 09:23 AM
I have wondered if changing the dot will change the POI too. It looks like some testing is in order. Any difference would not be worth a hoot for deer but the question is there.
I will have to use my loads in the .44 the 6 is on. They will be more accurate so I can measure.
I have to see if there is more brightness too.
I still believe in the Ultra Dot because I have ruined many things on my .44, let alone the larger calibers. I have ruined several Tasco, Millets, Bushnell's and various scopes. Most had the front prizm pull out and I fixed a few with steel bed, tricky to get the glass in the right position.
I had one problem with an Ultra Dot, the switch screws came loose but it was fixed free and fast. I have been able to take the switches apart on the cheaper ones and use Loc-Tite on the screws. I made spanners for them. I can not turn the Ultra Dot nut.
One thing I found with the 6 is the rings that came with it have larger screws. I E mailed Ultra Dot West to see if the new rings will be made for the other models but have no answer yet. They worked so good there is no need to buy more expensive rings.

Whiterabbit
10-17-2011, 11:50 AM
cool, that was the final question. Ultradotwest is a good retailer to go through? what are they, a factory distributor for the west coast?

44man
10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
cool, that was the final question. Ultradotwest is a good retailer to go through? what are they, a factory distributor for the west coast?
Yes and shipping has been free. Wonderful people to work with.
I might have to go to the actual importer in Fla to see about the rings.
The Ultra Dot is made in Japan. I wish they were made here but government regulations, unions and costs are not in favor.

Frank
10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Here's mine.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=4388

sixpointfive
10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Ok, 30 mm, but whuch one to buy ultra dot of match dot??

sixpointfive
10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
is this a match dot?

Frank
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM
sixpointfive:

s this a match dot?

Yeah, that's a Match dot sitting in Warne low QR rings. I love the Matchdot. It is tough and you can choose which dot obviously. The UD30 was probably the sight before they came out with the MD.

Whiterabbit
10-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Are you able to see your front sight through the tube?

sixpointfive
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Ok, I am going to try the matchdot two. I wonder how high of riings I need for my 686. This gun has the milled slots in the barrel rib for millet angle loc rings

subsonic
10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Ultra-Dots come with rings.

Just saw that your gun has slots for millet rings? I have never seen that before. I'd choose medium rings. You might get away with low, but don't need high. I also hate Millet rings.

sixpointfive
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Are the rings that come with match dot removeable? So I can use other rings?

subsonic
10-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Are the rings that come with match dot removeable? So I can use other rings?

Yes.

Can you post a pic of your revolver? I have never seen an S&W 686 cut like that, but that doesn't mean they didn't make 'em.

If you can get away from those Millet rings, you may save yourself some headaches.

Frank
10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Ok, I am going to try the matchdot two. I wonder how high of riings I need for my 686. This gun has the milled slots in the barrel rib for millet angle loc rings

Hmmm. I don't know. Low rings would put the front blade in the way of the red dot sight. But then you would have these high rings that might be less strong. And are the milled slots in the right spot for the Matchdot. These factory ring slots sometimes play havoc with red dot mounting. A Weigand base would give you squares slots for a Warne base. But a 30 mm sight on a normal sized revolver maybe served better by utilizing your milled slots. I'd go with the milled slots and taller rings from an aesthetic point of view. Where are the slots on the gun?

subsonic
10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Does your barrel look like this?
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/1911Doc/120_2001.jpg

Thanks to whoever that image belongs to...

sixpointfive
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
yes it does but I hve the 8" barrel. How do I attach a picture?

sixpointfive
10-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Here it is gents

Frank
10-19-2011, 09:22 PM
sixpointfive:

Here it is gents

They have them here. Measure for the sight then pick up the ring height that clears. Keep it as low as possible. That would look pretty cool with a Matchdot on integral rings.
http://www.millettsights.com/rings-bases/angle-loc-steel-rings/

sixpointfive
10-20-2011, 12:10 AM
I wish there were rings I could use similiar to angle loc but without the windage adjustament so I can take off the scope off and use the open sights from time to time without losing my adjusment on my scope.

44man
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
For a lot of red dots you need to put the rings on the gun and measure between them. A lot of turrets are too long and will not fit.
The Match Dot and Ultra Dot 6 will need over 2-1/8" between rings.
The straight 30mm and 25 mm only needs 1-13/16" and will fit between Ruger rings in the slots.
Longer turrets need a Weigand base.
Using a lot of these has shown I still shoot my best groups with a 4 minute dot. Smaller is fine but I have found no advantage as long as you choose a target you can center the dot in.
I actually out shoot my Loopy scope with the 4 minute dot! :drinks:

Frank
10-20-2011, 11:18 AM
sixpointfive:

I wish there were rings I could use similiar to angle loc but without the windage adjustament so I can take off the scope off and use the open sights from time to time without losing my adjusment on my scope.
You can use your collimeter to get it back on quick. What I don't like are mounting systems where you have to take the iron sights off. It's easier to re-zero a tube sight than an iron sight.

sixpointfive
10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
The densions center of ring to center of ring is 2 1/2"

Frank
10-21-2011, 11:09 AM
sixpointfive:

The Matchdot turret is too long. Even the Ultradot 30 or 24 may be too long.

That's actually good because you now need to move the sight back. The new Smith's are drilled and tapped at the sight. Is yours? A Weigand base will replace the sight holes, or you have to drill and tap. A Matchdot or Ultradot or any scope would work. With QR rings you could switch from red dot to scope, depending on your needs. If you take the base off, the sight recovers the holes! A very clean installation.

44man
10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
NOT CENTER TO CENTER! From inside edge to inside edge ONLY. Your rings are too close together .

crabo
10-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes.

Can you post a pic of your revolver? I have never seen an S&W 686 cut like that, but that doesn't mean they didn't make 'em.

If you can get away from those Millet rings, you may save yourself some headaches.

I have a 586 with a 8 3/8 barrel with the same slots and never knew what fit them.

I also have a PC 629 has slots on the barrel for a scope. I do not like the balance of the gun with the dot mounted on the barrel I put a Weigand mount on the gun and never looked back. My original plan was to use QD rings so I could switch between red dot, irons, or scope. I just didn't like the balance.

sixpointfive
10-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Ok, my plan was to use QD rings and go back and forth between open sites and red dot. I am starting to see the light. I purposely bought this gun because it had the milled barrel for rings. Anyway I will make it work. Crabo what kind of red dot do you have installed on the gun in the picture?

crabo
10-22-2011, 08:55 PM
UltraDot 4 I"m not telling you not to go with your original plan. The only way you sometimes learn is to experiment a little.

For me, it it is not a short range gun, I like an optic on it.