PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Lube - lanolin & carnuba

trk
02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Tried some anhydous lanolin (for the first time) with carnuba wax (50/50).

It took an incredibly small amout to produce the slickest lube for sizing I've tried. (OK, I'm too cheap to have tried Imperial die sizing wax, but I'll bet this came close to it.)

357maximum
02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Solid Lanolin75XBeeswax25 looks real close too, and it is what I use.....

trk
02-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Solid Lanolin75XBeeswax25 looks real close too, and it is what I use.....

Easy enough to try both & compare. I'll bet it's a little softer. More lanolin makes sense too. But testing it will prove the validity intuition.

utk
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
A recipe for case lube I have uses anhydrous lanolin (wool fat) and castor oil, donīt remember the ratios right now...

No "solids", so itīs a bit more gooey, but plenty of "slickum".

Urban

Larry Gibson
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Just the plain lanolin works fine, I get small jars from health food stores for a couple bucks. George Nonte recomended it to me years ago at the NRA convention in Portland, Oregon. I believe Dillon's spray lube is pure lanolin with an alcohol carrier and it is my favorite spray lube for large batches of cases. After sizing 15-20 minutes or so in the tumbler with pitch free sawdust and all lube is removed. I won't use any other case lube.

Larry Gibson

Treeman
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
A lot of stuff works well but can be difficult to remove. I have gone to using soap.(Another George Nonte recommendation) Nonte used "Medical Green Soap". I take a bar of Ivory and grate up an ounce of it, add 6 oz of warm water and microwave it for a minute. It turns clear when the soap melts. AT room temperature it gels. I have always prefered lubing with my fingers. After sizing the soap film wipes off with a damp rag and leaves the brass clean.

utk
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
A friend of me also uses a soap (liquid) for lubing cases. He has used it to resize 30-06 cases. The liquid soap he uses is "saponified pinetree oil", Iīm sure you have something similar in the US. "All natural".

(As for myself, I use rcbs caselube 2 because I have lots of it. Between fl sizings, I use a Lee collet die).

PatMarlin
02-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I used Midway case lube, til I ran out and found out it's nothing but lanolin and rubbing alcohol.

Few squits in a zip lock baggie, shake your brass a few seconds till 1/8" migrates in the case mouth and you have her done. Leaves very little residue, and I've not had one stuck case from forming or sizing.

Lloyd Smale
02-09-2007, 07:52 AM
me too I just buy it by the big tub and use it for case lubing and lube making. I just rub my fingers in the tub and get a little on them and rub a light coating on the brass it is a little hard to remove but overnight tumbling takes care of it.ed it to me years ago at the NRA convention in Portland, Oregon. I believe Dillon's spray lube is pure lanolin with an alcohol carrier and it is my favorite spray lube for large batches of cases. After sizing 15-20 minutes or so in the tumbler with pitch free sawdust and all lube is removed. I won't use any other case lube.

Larry Gibson[/QUOTE]

arkypete
02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I use STP oil treatment. It's cheap, fast, comes off in tumbling.
Jim