PDA

View Full Version : Want to re-profile AR barrel

TaylorTN
10-14-2011, 05:53 PM
OK you guys know more than I do.....

I have one of the DPMS .22lr dedicated uppers. It is the Lo-Pro upper with free float handguard and 18" FULL bull barrel. It's way too heavy on the nose and I am thinking about finding somebody to break down the upper and pull the barrel and turn it down to a medium profile and add a std. front sight base to it.

Now that BlackDog Machine is making 32 rd mags, I am going to keep the upper instead of trying to sell it or using its parts to copy theit "Sportical" upper.

I dont' need a .223 and like this as a plinker but it's just too heavy and does not balance well.

Any input on somebody out there to do the work that won't cost me my next born child?

nicholst55
10-14-2011, 08:04 PM
ADCO (http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/) comes highly recommended for this kind of work, and his prices are reasonable.

DCM
10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
If you go 0.750" O.D. and use a clamp on front sight you could easily mount up a standard ft sight at any point on it. ABOUT 3.4" to the front of the base to the muzzle would give you a standard rifle sight radius on an 18" barrel.
Most decent smiths should be able to do it.

The price at ADCO is reasonable especially since the include a repark.

GabbyM
10-14-2011, 11:31 PM
My favorite AR weighs ten ponds and I suppose you may consider it nose heavy.

You cold save yourself a pile of money by simply buying a Marlin 60 in 22 LR.

Or perhaps for a tenth the $ you are thinking of on top of the total waste you’ve already piled onto you could simply buy the top end bolt action target 22 rim fire. But then you’d have to lift your index finger to load another round. Hell you may break in half under the stress of it all. Must take at least eight ounces of lift pressue to raise a 22 rimfire bolt.

TaylorTN
10-17-2011, 02:59 PM
thanks for the input guys, I bought the lower on this rifle from Adco anyway....May look into their shop services.

gabby,

thanks for your suggestions,
I don't have a Marlin 60 but do have a glenfield 20. But I like the BAR.22 auto a lotthat I got on my tenth birthday. But it's not as handy as a detachable magazine gun so I bought a 10-22. Then another one to rebarrel and tinker with. But then I ran across a nice Pre-A Winchester 52 that shoots well. Then my dad wanted to scope it so I found a Lyman Super Target spot from the same year (1937) so that took care of that one.
Then I found out our boy scout council was selling off their rifles to buy new ones so, feeling nostalgic, I bought one of their Mossberg 144 LSBs. I figure they're all fun to shoot so why not have a little variety in the safe?

As for wasting money on the AR, I have a fully functional lower for whatever upper I decide to add. The .22 upper, since DPMS quit making them has irked me a bit since they never followed through with their hi-caps but BDM has taken care of that.

I am glad that you like your ten # AR. I dont' mind heavy guns, my sporting clays gun is 9.5# with the tubes in it and I think the Pedersoli sharps is 12#. It's just that this particular .22 ar is heavier than I like. I guess that's why the build them in all sorts of profiles and lengths.

I think I read a "Modern sporting Rifle" ad that said the platform is so versatile that anyone can have the configuration that they prefer.

My wife doesn't care where the money goes, so I'm glad to have forum friends to counsel me...........

nicholst55
10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure that the Black Dog Machine mags will work with the DPMS .22 upper. I also own one and am happy with it, other than the fact that DPMS discontinued them and offers no support (parts and mags) for them whatsoever.

Have you actually tried a Black Dog mag with your DPMS upper?

TaylorTN
10-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Nicholas,
I have two of the Colt/DPMs configured mags that should arrive tomorrow.

They beta tested them earlier this year and finally got the composite body mags in production.

According to the BDM site, these are built for the DPMS uppers. We'll see on wed. afternoon when I go to the farm..........