PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54r brass

Halfbreed
02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
O.K. guys, I just bought my first MN 91/30, It appears to be unfired, woohoo.
Now I have to start getting my brass and dies ready. Any favorites as far as dies and brass goes. Also any favorite supply houses?
I have been buying most all my supplies locally, but this is something most shops here do not carry.
Thanks, John

singleshotbuff
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
John,

I use Graf brass (www.grafs.com) in my MNs as well as brass from Prvi Partizan ammo. Both are excellent. The PP ammo is about $10 for 20rds at the local gun shows, the brass is boxer primed, headstamp is NNY 7.52X54R, and it reloads very well.

As far as dies, I like Lee dies myself for most of my loading, but I use an older RCBS full length set for the 54R because I got them cheap at a gun show. I did learn the other day however, that my Lee 7.5X55mm Swiss collet die will neck size a 7.62X54R case perfectly (Lee doesn't currently catalog a collet die made for the 54R). I am a big fan of collet dies for use with bolt action rifles, they greatly speed the reloading process by eleminating the need for case lube. Cases do have to be full length sized on occasion, however.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I also have found surplus IMR-7383 powder to work good in the 54R, and it's CHEAP.

SSB

JeffinNZ
02-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I picked up 4 Norma 54R at the range the other day that someone had left after shooting factory ammo. Couldn't believe it. NORMA brass thrown away.

singleshotbuff
02-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Jeff,

Must be nice to have enough money falling out of your pockets that you can leave Norma brass laying on the ground LOL!!

That stuff is about $1.00 per round here.

SSB

mozark
02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
I like the Lapua brass. Seems high at $45 per 100, but I think it's worth it. Very high quality.

I neck size with a Lee .303 Brit collet die shortened a bit on the lathe. I have 4 mandrels from .306 to .312 that it shares with the .303 die.

MM

monadnock#5
02-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I bought 5 boxes of Win. white box ammo from Midway recently. It seems a little odd that Win. brass isn't available, but loaded ammo is. Oh well, this will keep me in cast bullet brass for the summer.

Ken

Halfbreed
02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks everybody, I would like to use the collet die also, I will have to check into the 7.5x55 swiss. looks like I am going to have to get an order ready to Grafs soon.
John

mike in co
02-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I bought 5 boxes of Win. white box ammo from Midway recently. It seems a little odd that Win. brass isn't available, but loaded ammo is. Oh well, this will keep me in cast bullet brass for the summer.

Ken

if you look at the box you would understand....winchester did not make it.
and actually the brass is available....i do not like the quality.
mike

mag_01
02-07-2007, 11:48 PM
:coffee: ---- Have found 18grs. of 2400 with the Lee 185gr. G/c sized .312 works good in all my Mosin Nagants.

georgewxxx
02-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Black Hills Shooters sells primed 7.62X54R Winchester brass. 6 months ago they ran a special on it and I got 500rds. Then a week ago I got another 100rds from them. The price was up to $36.90@100PP. That to FFL & C&R holders. You'd think someone else would carry it also...Geo

RGRWJB
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM
The best brass is made by Lapua.

beemer
02-17-2007, 10:49 AM
The Winchester 7.62x54 that I bought was made by S@B. I seems to hold up well but the primer pockets are not deep enough. Lead is the only thing I use in these cases so they will probably last a while.

hornetguy
02-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I bought several boxes of S&B ammo when I got my carbine. I've reloaded some of those 2 or 3 times. The brass is ok.. I have gotten one or two neck/shoulder splits, but nothing terrible. The price is certainly right.
If I decide to buy some brass for serious reloading, I'll get Lapua. It's way cheaper than Norma, and I have read more than one person say it's really better than the Norma stuff.

Three44s
02-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys!!!

The tip on Graffs for Russian cases and the .303 Collet die conversion really are timely for me!!!!!!! VIVA Lee Collet dies!!

I am new the forum but "old" to handloading ............... I have banged around on Ruger and Smith forums for a while and always heard good things about this one!

I just can't believe I did not get over here sooner!

Hope you'll have me!

Three 44s

9.3X62AL
02-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Welcome aboard, 3 x 44! You would have to be pretty scandalous and shag-nasty to get tossed from here after only a couple posts. How do you view sheep herding and wheat growing?

Three44s
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome Deputy Al!

Sheep herding ............. Oh ..... hope you would not ASK!

Well .... we are ranchers ..... cattle but many years ago my anscestors on Dad's side raised sheep and cattle ...... a couple of "bands" ...... large flocks .... 1000 to 2000 head per!

But I have had NO hankering to repeat history ......... I chose to just let MAD MAMA cows do me in once in a while!

Wheat ranching ...... well right now the market is very strong but with all the government "HELP" thats always around ....... the market is sure to crumple sooner or later due to all the Washington DC gas bags wanting "cheap food" to appease the masses!

We grow alfalfa and cattle and it's enough to keep us out of "mischief" ........ well sort of ....... LOL!!

Thanks again!

Three 44s

Newtire
03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi all,
Got a whole slew (63) of 7.62X54 "Win." brass once fired from a guy off E-bay who lives 15 minutes away from me so saved on the shipping. I was going to put some up with cast tonite and thought I'd better check the length just in case. they all were about .005-.006" over maximum length so trimmed them back to minimum. Maybe should watch these as thry might be long brand new. It looks like good brass. Now to find a boolit that shoots! It slugs out at .310". Looks like a new barrel. It's one of those 91/59 carbines. Sure looks like a nice handy little gun.

brimic
03-20-2007, 01:04 AM
I bought 3 boxes of Wolf Gold 7.62x54r (prvi partisan brass) ammo the other day main for the brass.
The loads shot like garbage in my favorite 91/30 (romanian and czech surplus shoots better) I ended up shooting about 20 rounds and pulling the bullets on the rest of them- no need to punish myself needlessly just to burn up components. I could use the pulled bullets for hunting loads in the future.