PDA

View Full Version : How to loose money fast

NickSS
10-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Today at my gun club a guy came there to sight in his hunting rifle. It was a brand new Remington Model 700 with a brand new Leopold variable scope in 270 Win. He bore sighted his rifle with one of those new laser bore sighters you stick in the muzzle then proceeded to shoot a round off. He forgot to remove the bore scope from the rifle and his barrel split in two all the way back to the rear sight and shattered the front of the stock. Fortunately no one was hurt but all that was usable of his new rifle was the scope and action. He was so embarised that he sold the rifle to a guy at the range for $10 and left. The club got a nice safety reminder for out club house out of the deal.

Jack Stanley
10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Wow !!! what a way to ruin a day at the range ..... except for the guy that got the ten dollar range special .

Jack

pmer
10-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Pictures, pictures we need pictures.

Don't need a bore sighter when your at the range, just put the rifle bore on the target and move the cross hairs to the same point you can see thru the bore. But very glad no one got hurt.

P.K.
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Pictures, pictures we need pictures.

Don't need a bore sighter when your at the range, just put the rifle bore on the target and move the cross hairs to the same point you can see thru the bore. But very glad no one got hurt.

That's the way to do it alright. My rule of thumb anyway when I'm in the RSO slot is to ask anyone coming on the range especcially this time of year if they are sighting anything in. Haven't had any catastophic failures like the one posted but it's prolly just a matter of time.

Nick, glad no one was injured but pride. It's a shame that attention to detail can lead to some pretty dangerous scenarios. The whole "Smokless Powder in an Inline" e-mail that circulated a couple of years back comes to mind...:shock:

10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Ditto about the laser or collimator bore sighting devices. Never have figured out why folks insist on using them. Also, someone sure ended up getting a good deal on a practically new 700 action!

You can almost mark your calendar about this time of year for a bunch of these type oopsies at the various ranges around the country.

Uncle R.
10-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I use an optical collimator often. It saves time and ammo and is more accurate than visually looking through the bore. With some guns looking through the bore is pretty near impossible and my collimator makes bore sighting those guns easy.
<
I'm not too worried about forgetting it in the barrel. It is not likely to be missed as you aim to shoot - it blocks the field of your scope or iron sights.
<
Laser bore sighter? I never did understand that. Can you see the beam on the target at 50 yards? At 100? In bright sunlight? What does it do better than a collimator? I suspect it's more a matter of "tacticool" than function, but I admit I've never used one.
<
Uncle R.

P.K.
10-14-2011, 03:13 PM
I use an optical collimator often. It saves time and ammo and is more accurate than visually looking through the bore. With some guns looking through the bore is pretty near impossible and my collimator makes bore sighting those guns easy.
<
I'm not too worried about forgetting it in the barrel. It is not likely to be missed as you aim to shoot - it blocks the field of your scope or iron sights.
<
Laser bore sighter? I never did understand that. Can you see the beam on the target at 50 yards? At 100? In bright sunlight? What does it do better than a collimator? I suspect it's more a matter of "tacticool" than function, but I admit I've never used one.
<
Uncle R.

No not "tacticool" just cheaper.

10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Every gun I've ever handled, whether you can get the bolt out of the way or not can be easily bore sighted visually thru the bore. :)

Muzzleloaders with iron sights usually have them low mounted... with them just take the depth gauge rod on most calipers and match the front and rear sight height, then center the front and rear sights on the barrel. No problem.

wtfooptimax200
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
I am glad to hear the that guy is OK, but I really wish I could find a gun and scope like that for $10!!!!

izzyjoe
10-19-2011, 08:39 PM
i'm not sayin' this did'nt happen, but i seen a pic a couple year's back with basiclly the same thing, but the barrel was split four ways back to the rear sight. it looked kinda hokey to me. Mythbuster's did an episode on this very same subject, and they had to really pack the barrel full mud to get it to bulge the barrel, but that's also tv. i'm not sayin' i'd try it, but i'd like to see some pic's as well, or liked to have seen the rifle. people do make mistakes, lord knows i've made some too, but never like that. sometimes folk's forget what's going on just inches from your face.

snowwolfe
10-20-2011, 01:57 PM
i'm not sayin' this did'nt happen, but i seen a pic a couple year's back with basiclly the same thing, but the barrel was split four ways back to the rear sight. it looked kinda hokey to me. Mythbuster's did an episode on this very same subject, and they had to really pack the barrel full mud to get it to bulge the barrel, but that's also tv. i'm not sayin' i'd try it, but i'd like to see some pic's as well, or liked to have seen the rifle. people do make mistakes, lord knows i've made some too, but never like that. sometimes folk's forget what's going on just inches from your face.

Should be easy to get some photos. The gent who started the topic said the rifle was on display at his gun club. Hopefully he will post some for you:)

Dan Cash
10-20-2011, 04:15 PM

The U.S. Army and Marine Corps use optical boresight devices to boresight their tank guns. Very useful when you consider target practice ammo cost in excess of $2,000.00 a pop. On occasion, the crew will forget to remove the boresight device prior to firing. I would not call the end result for the gu tube hokey by any means; mega awesome is a better description.

Blammer
10-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow! a $10 action! way to go, bummer for the guy.