PDA

View Full Version : Loading data & books/ how to get it?

Willyp
10-14-2011, 04:59 AM
I Have a couple of Lyman reloading handbooks.47 and 48,i think? I have been looking for the 3rd.ed.[or older] of the cast bullet book,no luck there!
Is there enough info in these 2 books,on a 308 Win,to load cast bullets,or do i need another manual? I have a Lee book ,also. Can or have any of you,used his formula,for reduced loads for cast bullets???? Can it be trusted and safe to use??
Is there any where on the internet to get info on powder loads?
Its been over 11 years since i've cast and loaded! A break up and 2 floods and lost most of my stuff.

btroj
10-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Only you can decide if there is enough info in what you have. Are the powders listed the ones you want to use? Are the loads giving the velocities you want?

Personally I like having more than just those 2 manuals. The Lyman cast bullet manuals are nice. I get many of my loads from Handloader

Start with what you have and keep building your library. In time you will have more data than you ever could need.

KYCaster
10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
All the powder companies have data on line.

You can also find lots of CB data at Castpics. (link at the bottom of this page)

Jerry

Larry Gibson
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Lots of experience and knowledge here, so you might post the bullet, alloy, sizing, lube, GC'd?, powders, Rifle, barrel twist, etc. you want to use the loads in. You will probably get an information overload:D

The Lyman manuals you have should have sufficient data and information in them on cast bullet loads for the .308W. Keep looking for the 3rd edition......

Larry Gibson

Rocky Raab
10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Lyman's 3rd Edition has more load data using "fast" powders like RedDot at mild velocities, whereas their 4th Edition has more full-power loadings (to 2,700 fps!) using rifle powders. Pick the manual that more closely corresponds to your loading intent.

Personally, I load cast rifle bullets for inexpensive low-recoil fun shooting, so I stick to the faster powders at muzzle speeds between 1,200 and 2,000 fps. Those are well covered in the Cast Manuals as well as the regular Lyman books.

Edit to add: That infamously anti-gun online auction site has many copies of various Lyman manuals listed. I searched "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook" and got 13 listings.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I have been looking for the 3rd.ed.[or older] of the cast bullet book,no luck there!

You must not be looking real hard.
besides a bunch on fleabay...I see there are 7 listed 'used' on Amazon.
nearly all of which cost more than...
Midway's closeout price of $15.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/796528/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-3rd-edition-book