PDA

View Full Version : Night Shooting with a Flashlight

fourarmed
10-13-2011, 04:14 PM
My wife and I went out the other night to shoot plates using flashlights as illumination. I was shooting .38 spl. and she was shooting .22 LR. There was no wind to carry the smoke away, and after one shot we could no longer see the plates because of the back-scattering of the light. It got me to thinking about low-smoke powders. I was using Red Dot, and it was definitely not low-smoke.

Has anybody experimented with this? I suspect the solution may lay in tactics rather than powders.

Wheeler
10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Were you shooting cast? What type of flashlight were you using? Do you know what the lumen output was?

gray wolf
10-13-2011, 05:11 PM
http://flashlightconnection.com/Dereelight-Flashlights/Dereelight-Javelin/Dereelight-Javelin-3S-XP-E-R3-LED-p377.html

I have not found a better AA flashlight for the money, on high I see a lot of smoke at night. The Lumen out the front are over 200 and about 300 at the emitter.
This light can use 1 AA -- 2 AA -- or 3AA Not much of a difference in size to a 2AA Mini mag.
This little power house can light up a target at 50 yards no problem.
I have found the San-yo Eneloop rechargeable batteries to be the best.
They will hold a charge for about a year. ( LD = low discharge )

Sorry for the slight thread drift, but this is one heck of a flashlight.

subsonic
10-13-2011, 05:17 PM
The smoke is usually from the boolit lube. I have talked with some ISPC/IDPA guys that won't shoot cast because of the smoke obscuring targets. I think there are probably combinations that smoke more than others - the hotter the gun gets, the more smoke usually. Just to see for yourself, try a few jacketed bullets and see if there's a change. All the powder we usually use is considered "smokeless"[smilie=s:

waksupi
10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Just leave the lights at home. You can probably shoot just as well in the dark. That is what I have found with pistol, and bow and arrow.

fourarmed
10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I was shooting cast, naturally, and I didn't think about that, since that is about all I shoot. I think I have a box of the other kind around somewhere. I will try them just this once.

wtfooptimax200
10-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I haven't actually shot any cast while shooting with a flashlight, but I have seen guys do it successfully at IDPA matches, so I know that it can be done. Also, I'm glad to see that you are practicing with a light, I believe that far too few people are accustomed to running their guns AND a light at the same time. You can also shoot during the day with a light (obviously there is no need to turn it on) just to get a feel for it and to learn to reload and manipulate the weapon without the complication of darkness. People at the range may laugh at you, but don't worry, you'll be better prepared than them.

bearcove
10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Leave the pistol at home for night work. Take a scattergun. If it is a pump that sound will get anyones attention.

mongo
10-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I used to hold the flashlight at arms length away from my body when looking for bad guys in crack houses and such. While holding the light next to the pistol may look way cooler, I have found out that..In the dark the bad guys SHOOT AT THE LIGHT,,LOL This may help out with your night shooting also, keeping the light away from the smoke.

Artful
10-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Technique - flash light on - ID target - and shoot / or don't shoot - light off and move laterally.
re-engage from new position

NickSS
10-15-2011, 06:38 AM
I used to hunt rats at a dump years ago when you could still do that. I held my flash light away from my body and about waist high. I would wait with the light off until I heard the little buggers moving around and flash the light on. If you cought them looking at you they would stand still and look at the light. Then I would shoot them with whatever hand gun I had along. I put many 38 spl rounds through rats heads using this technique without any bother about smoke getting in the way. Most loads used a 150 gr SWC cast from WW and 50-50 allox and beeswax lube and red dot powder. I wish I could still do that sort of thing but with samitary land fills its a no go.