PDA

View Full Version : M1805 Harpers Ferry .54cal F/L

Cannoneer
10-13-2011, 11:15 AM
[smilie=b:When I got back from Saudi in 2004, I bought an 1805 Repro Harpers Ferry .54 cal Military Rifle.

This Flint Lock Rifle shoots exceptionaly well with swaged RB's and REAL slugs. The only complaint I have is after a couple of rounds I have to wipe the bottom of the flint before it will spark to shoot the next round.

Any ideas on why I have to wipe the fouling off the botom edge of the flint?

10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
It's just BP fouling build-up on the lower edge of the flint from pan flash and flash hole during ignition. That residue impedes/buffers the tiny burning flecks of steel as they peel off the frizzen. Very common. Most simply make it a habit to wipe the edge off before firing. At the range I wipe with a small rag or patch with some denatured alcohol. Just a habit to get into. No need to over think the cause-effect-prevention if you're getting good spark otherwise.

waksupi
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I wipe my flint and frizzen every shot. That's just the way it should be.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-13-2011, 04:31 PM
You can wipe with your thumb & finger if you like. Reliability over minor inconvenience, eh ?

But as a compensation for good work, I'll suggest that before you start shooting and have a clean gun, it you lightly grease your thumb and preferred finger with plain old patch lube and wipe that grease on the lock parts that get smutty (except frizzen face), flint, and the barrel around the flashhole and top, you will get the reward of easier cleanup when you are done.

It seems that the smut sticks better to the clean dry surfaces.

BvT

thunderthud
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
sounds to me like the flints too short. when the lock is half cocked the flint should just barely miss the frizzen. In my personal experience I've never seen fouling under the flint prevent my rifle from going off. Most likely a crummy dull, short flint. somethin' to check out

Cannoneer
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Thank you gentlemen. I'll be trying out all the above when I get back from Iraq.