PDA

View Full Version : Don't over look your local shops.

qajaq59
02-07-2007, 06:40 AM
For 2 years now I've been asking the guy at our local reloading shop to start casting bullets for my 30-30. I use up to a hundred a week and I simply don't have time to cast them myself. Well, yesterday I stopped in and he had them. I bought a thousand for 60% of the amount I've been paying on the web. Some things are cheaper locally.

rigmarol
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I realize we are all on a budget and want to get the most for our hard earned dollar, but paying a little bit more every once in a while to help keep the small gun store open is almost an act of patriotism in my book.

I'm glad you also got a deal too. I've offered to supply bullets to my local stores but they aren't interested. Around here there just isn't much call for cast on the shelves.

Navahojoe
02-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I try to buy all my powder and primers locally, not only because of the hazmat fee and shipping, but because I want to help keep them in business. If I run out of something that I want badly, same as need, in my opinion, usually I can pick it up instead of having to order and wait for the brown truck to arrive. And that is the way I like it. We have two Mom and Pop sporting goods stores in my town. They might be a couple of bucks higher than the national stores, and the Internet stores, like Gander Mountain and Midway, but, they were here before we got big enough for Gander Mountain to smile upon us, and before Al Gore invented the Internet. So, yes, IMHO, support your local shops.

regards,
NavahoJoe

:castmine: so I can :Fire:

Dan in Wa
02-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I could not agree more. I do buy from Midway a couple times a year for that special item. But the local gun shops are like a bakery to a fat guy....just can't stay away. Guess what..... the owners and employees turned out to be friends and hunting / shooting pards also. i like to spend local when I can {but don't play poker with them. The steely eyed devils} Your wife may not like it that one of your best friends is a small and well stocked gun shop owner but she likes him and his dog.

Spend local and maybe get a good friend for a bonus.

Dan in Wa

waksupi
02-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Yesterday I was behind a young guy at the checkout in the local sporting goods store. He is looking at his check book, and says, "Gosh, I sure write a lot of checks here. Should we set it up so I just make an instant deposit for my paycheck here?"

tommag
02-12-2007, 11:00 PM
That is unavailable elsewhere. Last year I got stupid and bought a .450 Ak mauser. I couldn't find .348 brass from any of the mail-order places. A guy who lived locally that I met on line sold me a bag of brass and I proceeded to call everybody. No luck. I dug into my card file and called a local shop. He had a bag of .348 brass and put it away until I could get down there. You never know what's gathering dust in that mom-n-pop place.

Sundogg1911
02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
i buy local whenever I can, but casting stuff is hard to find. I usually buy sizing dies, and things like that locally. i'll even let them order the stuff and pick it up from the local shops. Almost all my reloading stuff is purchased locally. the local shop owners are a good bunch of Guys