View Full Version : CVA Hawkins .54

7of7
10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I just received my new (to me) muzzle loader.. can anyone tell me how it works? LOL...
Can't wait to get it out and shoot it.. Any advice from anyone who has one would be appreciated.
anthony

waksupi
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Before loading, wipe the barrel, to remove all the oil. Paper towel works nice. Fire a few caps to clear the nipple before loading. That will get you off on the right foot.

Powder

Patch

Ball

Before long, you will forget the first one on the list.

docone31
10-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I have forgotten the first one many times!
Like Duh! But it happens.
You will remove the nipple, pour some powder into the thread hole, replace the cap, fire it.
That should be enough to discharge the ball. At least it works for me.
That is a great rifle, a good caliber. Mine works great with balls, and R.E.A.L.s.
Take it slow, keep it dry, and have fun.
Read all you can.

scrapcan
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
read the info at Dutch Shoultz' site and then order the info from him. I got to borrow the info from a friend to read and I bought my own copy and am waiting for it to come in the mail. And Dutch will help if you get stuck along the way. He is great at email communication.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

mooman76
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Get a book or something to read how to load an do it safely. It's not rocket science but there are things to know about what to do. It's a real fun sport. Don't ever short start and fire it. By short start I mean make sure the ball/bullet is firmly pressed onto the powder. The powder mush be slightly compressed to safely fire. If you short start it and fire at best case you damage the gun and at worst you blow it up and someone gets hurt. And never ever use smokeless powder, no matter how little or what kind. BP or the substitutes made to replace BP. Not trying to scare you, just don't want anyone getting hurt and you'd be surprized what some people think is ok.

10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Get a manual from the manufacturer. Since it's used, measure the barrel length and then measure the length of the interior of the barrel. Somebody could have left it loaded. Just check it out before capping up. Great sport but there are a few "must know" things about it. Good luck.

wellfedirishman
10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Great guns, mine will shoot a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards with a patched round ball.

Start with a light load (50 grains of FFg or equivalent volume of Pyrodex RS) and work up in small increments to find a load that shoots well and you are comfortable with.

Make sure to thoroughly clean the barrel and nipple after the day's shooting and then dry and lightly oil them to prevent rusting.

frontier gander
10-13-2011, 04:33 PM
80gr pyrodex rs, .018" patch, .530 round ball

Provided me with 3" groups @ 100 yards.

http://youtu.be/JyvdKd_w-3I

Hang Fire
10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Before loading, wipe the barrel, to remove all the oil. Paper towel works nice. Fire a few caps to clear the nipple before loading. That will get you off on the right foot.

Powder

Patch

Ball

Before long, you will forget the first one on the list.

And may even graduate up to shooting your ramrod some day. One feels rather foolish as they watch a very nice tapered RR arc up into the sky, then plunge into heavy brush. (AKA a black hole) This after having spent a lot of time getting RR tapered just right. Oh, and don't ask how I know.

thunderthud
10-14-2011, 01:51 PM
7 of 7, Just a slight correction here just so you know. the term "Hawken" is taken from Sam & Jake Hawken not "hawkins" from St. Louis. Hawken is a now a generic term for any half stock rifle on the planet whether it looks like an actual Hawken or not. And.............most do not. No disrespect meant just a clarification. As for the load, to start out I would use about 55grs. of 2Fg especially if you're just killing paper. it should be a good rb target load as well.

7of7
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
7 of 7, Just a slight correction here just so you know. the term "Hawken" is taken from Sam & Jake Hawken not "hawkins" from St. Louis. Hawken is a now a generic term for any half stock rifle on the planet whether it looks like an actual Hawken or not. And.............most do not. No disrespect meant just a clarification. As for the load, to start out I would use about 55grs. of 2Fg especially if you're just killing paper. it should be a good rb target load as well.

Thanks for the correction. I do appreciate it. Since you mention that most Hawken rifles don;t really look like the actual ones, I am going to have to go look them up and pay closer attention..
Eventually, I do plan to hunt with it. Just got to get used to using it..